Help with Ortek VRC-1100 remote
Sad 
Hi there,

I am having trouble setting up an Ortek VRC-1100 remote. I have read the manuals and added the MSRemote.reg file to my registry. However when I go into XBMC I can't FF or RW? Most other buttons seem to work.

Also I really want to be able to open XBMC from the remote - I understand the easiest way to do this is to add a shortcut and press your green start button as the shortcut key. Mine however flashes up with CTRL+ALT and dissapears again not letting me select anything. I ran a showkey.exe on the start button and it displays <return mod="alt">Notification(Key, return, 3)</return>

Does anyone have any experience with this remote? I'm really stuck!
Hi Rob, the VRC-1100 isn't MS compatible and doesn't use the MS ehome driver, so the registry hack will make no difference (though it won't do any harm). Assuming you have the latest version of mceremote.zip just run the CopyKeyboardDotXML.bat to copy the customised keyboard.xml to your userdata folder and you should find nearly all the buttons on the VRC-1100 work.

The green button can't be easily customised to run XBMC. That's because it is hardcoded to send the keypress Windows-Alt-Return and this starts Media Center. There are various hacks to get round this, but none are easy for the beginner.

The other button that won't work is the "i" button because for some bizarre reason it sends a right mouse click. Again, this is hardcoded in the remote and can't be changed. However you can configure one of the other buttons to open the Info screen.

The VRC-1100 has limited functionality compared to the Microsoft remote, but then it works 99% and it's cheap! In fact I'm currently using a VRC-1100 because I've been testing it with the Dharma beta.

JR
I had one of these remotes. I ended up ditching it for a true RC6 remote and receiver. I tried the 1100 on both XP and 7.
Desktop / Media Server: Win10 x64, ThermalTake Commander G42 case, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Intel Core i5 4460 3.20GHz, Gigabyte Geforce GTX750, CM M 1000w, 8GB GSkill, Samsung SSD 840 Pro 120GB, 2x WD Black 1TB RAID 1, WD 6TB + WD 4TB spanned, single 3TB

Intel NUC with Openelec in TV room.
Brad P Wrote:I had one of these remotes. I ended up ditching it for a true RC6 remote and receiver. I tried the 1100 on both XP and 7.

Agreed. If you can afford a proper Microsoft remote from ebay it's better than the VRC-1100 in every respect. It's more configurable, much better built and nice to use.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with Ortek VRC-1100 remote0