[DEPRECATED] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW decoding in AMD 780G (ATI Radeon HD 3200)
The only issue about using AMD (and Intel) hardware decoding is Incorrect usage of VAAPI surfaces, but it's not about driver, it's about xbmc itself.
well vanek, as you can see from this thread (and many others), it's not so much about the flipping frames, the real problem lies in getting the VAAPI acceleration running at all.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
I'm using HD4200 on Ubuntu 10.10 too... All I had to do is

Code:
sudo apt-get install -y python-software-properties
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install --reinstall fglrx fglrx-amdcccle -y
cd /etc/X11/ && sudo aticonfig -f --initial
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.37-11-generic-pae linux-image-2.6.37-11-generic-pae
wget http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/xvba-video/xvba-video_0.7.7-1_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i xvba-video_0.7.7-1_i386.deb
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:lars-opdenkamp/xbmc-pvr
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc
Vanek Wrote:I'm using HD4200 on Ubuntu 10.10 too... All I had to do is
Wow, is that "all" you had to do -- reinstall the kernel and all video modules from 3rd-party sources? Thanks for the info but I'm not willing to go that far 'off the reservation' from the original Ubuntu repositories. Surely you don't have to replace that many modules to make this work?

I've now reinstalled Ubuntu 10.10 on my ATI 4200 system, plus XBMC 10.0 and the latest Catalyst 10.12 from AMD, and I'm still having the same issues when trying to install the downloads from splitted-desktop:
- a "newer" version of 'libva' is already installed by Ubuntu
- the 'libva-dev' won't install because it's dependency is hard-coded to the version of 'libva' which I was unable to install
- I successfully installed the latest version of 'xvba-video' (v7.7.1) but maybe I need to install an older version to match my ATI driver?

Currently, 'vainfo' reports:
Code:
libva: libva version 0.31.1
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
libva: va_getDriverName() returns -1
vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit

I also tried adding the 'xorg-edgers' PPA and updated the 'libva' 'libva-glx1' and 'vainfo' files, without any improvement; maybe it requires a reboot first?
OK, so I rebooted and it still doesn't work; vainfo still reports an error.

Once this is all setup correctly will XBMC include an actual "Use VAAPI" option in the Setup menu? Currently my copy has an option for "Use VDPAU" which is enabled but presumably does not work.

P.S. Since XBMC 10.0 is now 'gold' I assume I should be using that instead of the SVN as indicated in the original post (from Sept '10)
More updates:

I uninstalled vainfo and removed the 'xorg-edgers' PPA. Then I force-installed the "older" libva1 (from splitted-desktop) as well as the libva-dev file,
> sudo dpkg -i libva1_0.31.1-1+sds4_i386.deb
> sudo dpkg -i libva-dev_0.31.1-1+sds4_i386.deb

Now 'vainfo' (which was reinstalled by one of those two files) reports:
Code:
libva: libva version 0.31.1-sds1
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA API version: 0.31
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.7
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileH264High               :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :    VAEntrypointVLD
But XBMC still shows no 'vaapi' option in System nor does it appear to be using hw-accel (with the default 'Use VDPAU' still enabled).
Quote:I uninstalled vainfo and removed the 'xorg-edgers' PPA. Then I force-installed the "older" libva1 (from splitted-desktop) as well as the libva-dev file,
> sudo dpkg -i libva1_0.31.1-1+sds4_i386.deb
> sudo dpkg -i libva-dev_0.31.1-1+sds4_i386.deb
there was no need to do that, you just had to make sure that /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_drv_video.so is symbolic link to `/usr/lib/va/drivers/xvba_drv_video.so'
Code:
locate xvba_drv_video.so
file /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_drv_video.so
now simply install xbmc from lars opdenkamp's ppa or compile it from svn...
Vanek, thank you for your continued input but I'm not having much luck with your suggestions.

1. I already had a symbolic link for 'fglrx_drv_video.so' (which points to 'xvba_drv_video.so') but it was in the same /usr/lib/va/drivers folder as the actual xvba file. So I copied it to the other /user/lib/dri folder you suggested; no change in XBMC or VLC.

2. re Lars' PPA, I don't want to install an unsupported branch of someone's personal version. From the PPA description it sounds like he's trying to develop a new DVR-equipped edition of XBMC?
FYI
I confirmed that there will be another "Allow hw-accel (VAAPI)" option in System once everything's properly installed,
http://img251.imageshack.us/i/20100620180728.jpg/
I'm using Linux Mint Isadora (Ubuntu 10.04) with catalyst 10.12 and a Radeon 3400.

Is my installation correct?

vainfo

Quote:libva: libva version 0.31.1-sds1
Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA API version: 0.31
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.7
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
Let e answer my own question. I don't think 10.0 stable is compiled with VaAPI support. I used the Lars Op Den kamp repo and it seems to work. I now have VAAPI under the options in playback.

Can anyone recommend a file to test if playback is working?

My understanding is that it only works for h264 and vc1?
Hi,

after hours of installing and reinstalling vaapi encoding works fine with hd-material (720p/1080p) besides direct BluRay-Playback (Limitations of the splitted-desktop XvBA backend Sad) after using...

Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverik" (amd64) (Minimal CD install)
ATI Catalystâ„¢ Proprietary Display Driver - Linux x86 & Linux x86_64 Rev. 10.12

XvBA backend for VA API (xvba-video_0.7.7-1_amd64.deb)
libva - Precompiled binaries for Debian/etch (amd64) (libva1_0.31.1-1+sds4_amd64.deb)
libva - Precompiled binaries for Debian/etch (amd64) (libva-dev_0.31.1-1+sds4_amd64.deb)

XBMC Live - compileinstructions from svn-source (#1st post)

Hardware:
Jetway NC81-LF (AMD 780G Chipset + SB700 Chipset)

MDKeil
Hi,

must I do that at the Final Darma to?
In the Settings, i have a VAAPI option, but it dont work well.

In the log, i get a error like:
Code:
09:33:37 T:2822040432 M:3245617152   DEBUG: Loading: /usr/lib/xbmc/system/players/dvdplayer/swscale-0.6.1-i486-linux.so
09:33:37 T:2822040432 M:3245617152  NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Creating VDPAU(1920x800, 28)
09:33:37 T:2822040432 M:3245363200  NOTICE: vdp_device = 0xffffffff vdp_st = 0x00000001
09:33:37 T:2822040432 M:3245363200   ERROR: (VDPAU) unable to init VDPAU - vdp_st = 0x1.  Falling back.
09:33:37 T:2822040432 M:3245363200  NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Failed to get VDPAU device
09:33:37 T:2822040432 M:3245363200  NOTICE:  (VDPAU) Close
09:33:37 T:2822040432 M:3245363200  NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Using codec: H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10

The complett log:
http://pastebin.com/vgQ0kYDL

Did i anything wrong?

Thanks for the help
Hey Guys,

This seems to be the only useful thing I could find on Getting xbmc live working with an ATI card. I am a bit of a linux newb, but attempted to follow the initial instructions despite not having 10.04 beta installed (have the normal one from xbmc).

The third line build-essential, didnt work for me. Also I cant locate the beta 10.04 on the mirror site - http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/live/.

which is it?

Also does the Lars Op Den kamp version work with ATI cards? Some real good newB instructions as in the first post but that would work for me would be VERY much appreciated.

Or MDKeil if your method worked, is there any chance you could do up some newb instructions? ie. a copy of the code you used?

Cheers Folks!

Just adding a bit after a bit more playing around... Still cant get this stuff to work after completely reformatting a few times. Then tried Lars Op Den kamp version (although on a version I think I may have tried the first few steps from this on) and now VAAP shows in settings. BUT when I try and play any video the screen just goes blank and it kind of reboots xbmc.

Also should say I am using xbmc live and not xbmc on a normal ubuntu release, but may attempt to work out MDKeils method if no luck with this!
Got vaapi to work with Opdenkamps build, but the output is garbled.

XBMC log

At 10:23:22 I start 2012 with vaapi enabled -> garbled but lower use of cpu.

I disable vaapi and at 10:25:17 I play 2012, not garbled but with 100% cpu-usage.

I enable vaapi again and try another movie at 10:27:56.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[DEPRECATED] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW decoding in AMD 780G (ATI Radeon HD 3200)0