[DEPRECATED] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW decoding in AMD 780G (ATI Radeon HD 3200)
I am using the 11.4 drive, 0.78 xbva-video package and the 1.0.8 libva files. If I upgrade libva to 1.0.12 then XBMC crashes when I try to play a file with VAAPI.
Use the latest libva packages and verify that u have this in your xorg.conf file

Quote:Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
Using XBMC PVR build on Ubuntu Natty Narwhal
  • Case: Silverstone GD06
  • Mainboard: Asus E35M1-M - AMD Fusion
lakerssuperman Wrote:I am using the 11.4 drive, 0.78 xbva-video package and the 1.0.8 libva files. If I upgrade libva to 1.0.12 then XBMC crashes when I try to play a file with VAAPI.

don't you need the splitted-desktop libva in order to make acceleration work?
I tried that as well. I downloaded the libva1_0.32.0-1+sds2_amd64.deb package and installed that. Still no luck. I have since upgraded to the latest FGLRX and 0.80 xvba-video package.
If this will help, here's what I've done on my ASRock E350M1 board to get it working good. Everything seems to play nice with it so far and the benchmark video I used was a 1080p copy of "The Warrior's Way". Plays fluidly. Would have been easier but I went through all this to use Ubuntu 10.04 so that I could properly use lirc for my Xbox remote.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=820594&postcount=7
Hi everybody,

is there a working workarround how to get XBMC working with VAAPI that works wirh a AMD NEO NV-40 and a HD3200? I would like to use Ubuntu 11.04 and XBMC (+ DVB-T)?

It would be nice if a user how got this working could write a NEW step-by-step guide because the one on the first side is quite old!

Thanks,

cRaZy
I use a gigabyte 880 GM chipset motherboard, yet I use an ATI HD4550 discrete video card. After following steps in page 1, you can clearly see hardware acceleration is working. There are still 2 seconds every so often wherein there is stutter in video, and the picture seems to be sliced into half every once in a while. Is there another set of instructions on how to do this?
This guide helped me a lot. I used it and it worked perfectly. I have a HTPC based on a Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H motherboard with the 780G chipset. I also have a Digital Everywhere FireDTV card for digital cable. I want to run TV Headend in combination with XBMC for live TV. This should replace my Windows 7 setup where I had to switch between different programs for TV and media.

Ok, but Mtroi's guide helped me a lot. I used Ubuntu 11.10 64bit. Just follow it to the letter and you'll be fine. A few notes though:

'Install Ubuntu' is not just install it and go on, but I had to enable the ATI fgrlx drivers. Those are the closed source drivers included in Ubuntu. After install at first boot, there's a pop up about those drivers. Strange thing is that it shows 2 drivers. The first one (post release) doesn't seem to work. Forget about it and select the second one and activate that.

After that, reboot (on my 42" plasma, the screen was correctly sized after that) run the Ubuntu updater to update all packages so you're on the latest version of everything.

After the installation of XBMC and the reboot not everything was 100%. I had to fiddle with some settings in the ATI control center. Check the rest of the topic I refered to for information on that. After setting the tearing settings etc I had to reboot again for smoother playback.

At this time (I just installed it yesterday evening) there's a bit too much CPU usage, but it plays 1080p video correctly.

BTW: On this page I fount (German) instructions on how to get a XBMC Pre-11 release for Ubuntu 11.10:
Quote:Ubuntu 11.10 “Oneiric Ocelot” – XBMC 11.0 PRE, with PVR, can be installed from the Dharma-PVR Repository from Alexandr Surkov.

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:alexandr-surkov/dharma-pvr
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc
This worked for me, but I wanted the PVR enabled version for the Live TV, that's why I took that specific build.

I checked just now and vainfo gave me the following result:
Quote:DISPLAY=:0 vainfo
libva: VA-API version 0.32.0
libva: User requested driver 'xvba'
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/xvba_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.32 (libva 1.0.15)
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
Obviously VAAPI is enabled in XBMC and VDPAU disabled. I still have way too much CPU usage, but playback is pretty decent. I got some strange effects in a high action scene from a BluRay. The rapid movement was a bit blurred. Something to iron out in the coming days/weeks. Most important is that XBMC is working and TV Headend too. I'm happy!
You don't need VAAPI anymore. There's now a version of XBMC with native xvba support.

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.ph...post241885
install instructions here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=99154&page=80
wsnipex Wrote:install instructions here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=99154&page=80
Tried it tonight. It doesn't run HD content... Sad It starts with the sound, but stops after a couple of seconds and it doesn't display the video.
SD content it ok at the moment. I had to fiddle with the sync a bit because it showed a garbled picture in fullscreen. When I pressed ESC, it showed the video correctly, but with the menu on top. The garbled video appeared again when the video was fullscreen. I solved it by setting the pause for frequency adjustment to 0.4s (not more, not less).

I followed your instructions but it refused to get the package from your PPA. I downloaded the .deb files by hand and did a dpkg -i xbmc* to install the package. I'm not sure if that's the correct way, but it seems to have installed your build.
Excellent find, works really well too! Big Grin
Mike Philippens Wrote:Tried it tonight. It doesn't run HD content... Sad It starts with the sound, but stops after a couple of seconds and it doesn't display the video.
SD content it ok at the moment. I had to fiddle with the sync a bit because it showed a garbled picture in fullscreen. When I pressed ESC, it showed the video correctly, but with the menu on top. The garbled video appeared again when the video was fullscreen. I solved it by setting the pause for frequency adjustment to 0.4s (not more, not less).

I followed your instructions but it refused to get the package from your PPA. I downloaded the .deb files by hand and did a dpkg -i xbmc* to install the package. I'm not sure if that's the correct way, but it seems to have installed your build.

It refused cause of "not correctly installed fglrx driver" I think. We included this in order to prevent users to install it with a broken setup.

You have to install the fglrx packages (>= 11.11) with the package generator, see some posts above. Xbmc will install just fine then.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
fritsch Wrote:It refused cause of "not correctly installed fglrx driver" I think. We included this in order to prevent users to install it with a broken setup.

You have to install the fglrx packages (>= 11.11) with the package generator, see some posts above. Xbmc will install just fine then.
No, it doesn't even want to download it from the PPA. It's not a matter of not 'wanting' to install, it completely ignores the PPA I added. It doesn't want to download.
I had another PPA setup before I tried this build and I can't seem to get rid of it. I tried to remove it, but it keeps coming back for some reason. I'd expected it to be in the apt sources file, but I can't find any PPA in there. Is there some trick to get rid of it and force it to look at the PPA I need for this release?

And FGRLX is installed correctly, fgrlxinfo says it's ok.
Sad
Mike Philippens Wrote:No, it doesn't even want to download it from the PPA. It's not a matter of not 'wanting' to install, it completely ignores the PPA I added. It doesn't want to download.
I had another PPA setup before I tried this build and I can't seem to get rid of it. I tried to remove it, but it keeps coming back for some reason. I'd expected it to be in the apt sources file, but I can't find any PPA in there. Is there some trick to get rid of it and force it to look at the PPA I need for this release?

And FGRLX is installed correctly, fgrlxinfo says it's ok.

are you absolutely sure you have fglrx >=2:8.911 as deb pkg installed?
I bet you don't - and thats why xbmc refuses to install.
The instructions are really easy to follow.

check your fglrx version with
Code:
dpkg -l | grep fglrx

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[DEPRECATED] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW decoding in AMD 780G (ATI Radeon HD 3200)0