• 3(current)
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard
The remote looks very nice.

2 points, do.

- The bulky, square look doesn't appeal to me. I don't like bricks, no matter how small they are.
- I have a trauma with "keys on one side, keyboard on the other side" kind of thing. I can thank Nokia for that one.

I see so few keys on the "remote" side. From the top of my head, I need a few 'special' keys mapped on the remote side: Context Menu, Subtitle toggle, Audio Toggle, Screenshot, etc

The thing is most people forget that XBMC users are located around the world. I for one, am located either in Portugal or Angola. And I need keys to change subtitles or Audio for instance.

The same problem arises with Boxee remote: to few keys for users located elsewhere that use subtitles and/or different audio tracks...

Just my 2 cents.

h.udo
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Great that the next version wool work with atv2.

Is the next version going to have backlite keys also? Is that on the roadmap?
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18

This came out of no where, at first I thought that it was just a remote designed for XBMC, but the Engadget article seems to suggest that XBMC is behind it in one way or another:
Quote:The folks behind the Xbox Media Center tell us they actually talked Motorola out of bundling the remote with set-top-boxes in favor of their nefarious plan, which means you'll be able to buy an IR and RF remote that natively supports XBMC for a penny under $60 this June.

All I need to know is... Backlight? If not, you just lost a potential customer.

Source:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/05/motor...claims-it/
http://www.tested.com/news/motorola-made...sale/2118/
http://pulse-eight.com/store/products/96...ybrid.aspx

More Renders:
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
Malard has asked Engadget to update their article to remove some of the ambiguity, but just to be clear:

Essentially it's a project that Malard has personally taken on (Pulse-Eight is his company). As a team we've known about it for a while, but to be clear it is not a "Team XBMC" venture (we're a non-profit).

Either way, it should prove to be a good remote for those XBMC users who want the flexibility of a keyboard while still having a remote control for more common navigation etc.

There's another thread here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=80968&page=4

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

It's not pretty,and looks a little like something that my first VCR came with, only smaller. But seriously, if it isn't going to have backlit, or atleast glow in the dark buttons on the main side, then my wife will not approve no matter how cheap it is.Laugh
Unfortunately with no back light, it doesn't make it any better than the Boxee remote, which looks much better and $20 cheaper.

I'll probably still pick one up just to support you, but for me, the ultimate remote/htpc keyboard combo would be to combine the Logitech Harmony One on one side, with the keyboard side of this thing on the flip side. Then allow multiple dongles to be installed on the various devices that support HID keyboards (HTPC, Boxee Boxx, TiVo, etc).

That way when I choose an activity, both the media controls and the keyboard can work with it, reducing all my remotes down to one.
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
I am really happy about XBMC expanding like this.

Sorry but I need to ask... I read its RF and IR. So what IR receiver does it use? The little USB dongle is just for RF right?

The little dongle is for RF, correct.

There's supposed to be an IR sender in the remote, to control your TV with, exactly how this works hasn't been revealed yet afaik.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Anyone caught this post on Techreport ?

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20720
I've been waiting for this remote for over a decade. Thank you.
mobious Wrote:Why is it not backlit Sad And also lack of F keys in the keyboard area seems quite disappointing.

That would be nice and a rechargeable version with that docking station shown.
I see that it has a PC and a TV mode. How configurable are the modes?

My XBMC box is meant to be left on (it gathers media in the background), and I'd much rather control the volume on my TV than the software volume on the XBMC box.

I have one of the euro oldschool MCE remotes that handles everything that I need with the exception of switching my TV's inputs - that's the only reason that my TV's remote isn't in a drawer.

How close should I be able to get to emulating this?

Will the remote's firmware be upgradable in the case that further configurability features might be added in the future?
Subtitles - Serious Business
pike Wrote:The little dongle is for RF, correct.

There's supposed to be an IR sender in the remote, to control your TV with, exactly how this works hasn't been revealed yet afaik.

OK makes sense... So that means for the people with universal IR remotes we can't get rid of the MCE IR then.

Kind of would be nice if we can get away from using the MCE stuff.

Sad

Backlit or I won't buy. How expensive can a couple led's be? Make it $70 then to offset the costs...

She's not much to look at.
Looks great, preordered from the UK Smile
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard1