• 4(current)
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard
I've asked the question to Motorola about coming up with a solution to back lighting the existing remote. I will feedback if its going to get in to this version.

The technical hurdle is that most of the circuitry is already built at this point, adding lights wouldn't be a problem, but then everything has to get re-worked.

The next version will defiantly have a back lit after the various requests.

@BORIStheBLADE I dont quite follow, the idea is you should be able to convert all your remotes into just this one device using the programmable IR feature
Star 
Engadget has some nice renders at the jump, and it will support out of the box Mac, Windows, Linux and the original Apple TV

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/05/motor...claims-it/
Malard Wrote:@BORIStheBLADE I dont quite follow, the idea is you should be able to convert all your remotes into just this one device using the programmable IR feature

So what your implying is we can use this new Motorola remote as a universal remote then?

I'm just trying to figure out if and how a Harmony can be used without the MCE IR with this new device.

Mike

The RF part is for your HTPC. (receiver included) The IR part is for all your other devices, they already have receivers.
One question: in the keyboard side there is a mouse, but it's a key up/down/left/right or it's a real mouse like the imon pad for example? If it act as up/down/left/right I think that this remote is perfect also as M.A.M.E. gamepad! Big Grin
@Malard

To what extent is this a "true" universal remote?
Even if it's no better than a harmony one in terms of programmability I'll be happy.
But any less & it'd be a disappointment, unless the keyb/mouse functionality is stellar.

I currently use a Harmony One and a URC MX-980...
The latter's used far more as it's far more versatile, but the former's fun too.

Thanks!

Philmatic Wrote:Unfortunately with no back light, it doesn't make it any better than the Boxee remote, which looks much better and $20 cheaper.

But the Boxee remote isn't also a IR universal (learning/programmable) remote is it?
That's a big feature this has that the boxee remote doesn't, assuming it's UR aspect isn't flakey/limited.

joethefox Wrote:One question: in the keyboard side there is a mouse, but it's a key up/down/left/right or it's a real mouse like the imon pad for example? If it act as up/down/left/right I think that this remote is perfect also as M.A.M.E. gamepad! Big Grin

I'd love to know that too, proper trackpad or mamepad Big Grin
Have just seen this thread, and must say that this will do for me very nicely, i have already emailed them to pre-order it.

What gets me is the amount of people bitching about backlight, come on, eventually you get the 'feel' of the remote anyways, i couldn't give a rats ass about lighting on it, as long as it does what it says it does.

In the end, this is of mallards back, and for bringing something like this to the xbmc community, he should be commended!
Well done!!
xbmc goes from strength to strength!
Big Grin
Indeed. It looks to be a really nice remote, I have only felt it but not actually used it just yet but the feeling is quite nice. Its sturdy and quite good size.

If all this goes well for Malard I do hope he will be able to create a simpler remote for a cheaper price, i.e. something like the apple remote but perhaps a few more buttons Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
currently, in the living room, i have to use a maplins £15 mce remote, limited, but works, and a wireless keyboard amd mouse....so this will make these redundant, get rid of my amp and tv remote, and have just the one remote...and it has the info button, one i have missed since the original xbox remote!!

Sorted! Smile
Just spot poll, but if I could do a similar remote, without the keyboard, but it would be a fraction of the price, would people want that as another option?

I've asked about the backlight, it might be possible at this late stage, but do people really think it's a deal breaker?

My question is this: What do you need the keyboard for in a dark room for, except for filtering for a movie? (at which point in theory you could have a light on)
Would glow-in-the-dark material for the symbols, instead of back-lit appease most?
If people with theatres wanted the backlight issue, why don't they use the cinema experience script which may be having home automation soon, in the end i assumed when your watching a movie in your theatre, your watching the movie, not fiddling with a remote....i suppose you could always throw in a £1.99 torch for those who want backlight!

Ok, got to do my 9hrs!!
Malard Wrote:Just spot poll, but if I could do a similar remote, without the keyboard, but it would be a fraction of the price, would people want that as another option?

I've asked about the backlight, it might be possible at this late stage, but do people really think it's a deal breaker?

My question is this: What do you need the keyboard for in a dark room for, except for filtering for a movie? (at which point in theory you could have a light on)

I think a remote only device without the keyboard would appeal to a wider audience. I for one would go for the keyboard version but I am also a total nerd and do a lot more on my HTPC other than run XBMC but I believe I am in the minority.

I also believe a backlight is important perhaps not in terms of absolute usability but in terms of perception. People are visual. They will perceive the remote to be easier to use, more functional, and more appealing if they can easily see the keys even though as it has been pointed out that over time the user will probably learn where all the keys are. Add that to the fact that almost all remotes now come with backlights and you will be fighting an uphill battle if you dont have a feature that is considered to be a basic one.
tboooe Wrote:I think a remote only device without the keyboard would appeal to a wider audience. I for one would go for the keyboard version but I am also a total nerd and do a lot more on my HTPC other than run XBMC but I believe I am in the minority.

I also believe a backlight is important perhaps not in terms of absolute usability but in terms of perception. People are visual. They will perceive the remote to be easier to use, more functional, and more appealing if they can easily see the keys even though as it has been pointed out that over time the user will probably learn where all the keys are. Add that to the fact that almost all remotes now come with backlights and you will be fighting an uphill battle if you dont have a feature that is considered to be a basic one.

I get what your saying, one of the things i've tried to do with this remote, is go, do we really need xyz feature, KISS policy at work Smile
Malard Wrote:What do you find disappointing about the F keys?

Well on Live atleast, since this would technically be replacing any form of input device I would have on my XBMC nettop, I need the F keys to be able to switch from XBMC to terminal so I can pull an update or what have you. Its something people can live without but it would be a nice feature to have for us Live users.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard1