• 5(current)
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard
mobious Wrote:Well on Live atleast, since this would technically be replacing any form of input device I would have on my XBMC nettop, I need the F keys to be able to switch from XBMC to terminal so I can pull an update or what have you. Its something people can live without but it would be a nice feature to have for us Live users.

You should never need to switch to terminal when using xbmc, if you do your in ADMIN mode, which is not meant to be done via remote IMHO.

Updating xbmc from within xbmc however is something we would want, the aptitude script tried to fill that role but we need to do it more native to the core. Binary addons might allow this however.

EDIT: a terminal addon would be quite cool though Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:You should never need to switch to terminal when using xbmc, if you do your in ADMIN mode, which is not meant to be done via remote IMHO.

I would never buy a remote without a dedicated keyboard for use with XBMC. Search functions, context menus, renaming, accessing shares, finding proper subtitles, etc. All those are what I consider to be essential features of XBMC so not having a proper remote with a dedicated keyboard seems like your preventing yourself for using XBMC to its full potential.

So then thats brings us to accessing terminal for updating, now I understand what you mean when you say its not meant to be done via remote but when a remote has a dedicated keyboard I don't see why not. Big Grin How else would us Live users update? Downloading an ISO and running the installer over again seems like too much of a hassle :p
mobious Wrote:So then thats brings us to accessing terminal for updating, now I understand what you mean when you say its not meant to be done via remote but when a remote has a dedicated keyboard I don't see why not. Big Grin How else would us Live users update? Downloading an ISO and running the installer over again seems like too much of a hassle :p

If only there was some magical secure way to get a remote shell.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
mobious Wrote:I would never buy a remote without a dedicated keyboard for use with XBMC. Search functions, context menus, renaming, accessing shares, finding proper subtitles, etc. All those are what I consider to be essential features of XBMC so not having a proper remote with a dedicated keyboard seems like your preventing yourself for using XBMC to its full potential.

So then thats brings us to accessing terminal for updating, now I understand what you mean when you say its not meant to be done via remote but when a remote has a dedicated keyboard I don't see why not. Big Grin How else would us Live users update? Downloading an ISO and running the installer over again seems like too much of a hassle :p

Well you don't want to use xbmc to its full potential, you want to use linux to its full potential afaict Smile And as I said, update is an essential feature and should be in core. i.e. accessible via GUI (addon) Smile

And as darkscout, so awesomely put it Smile SSH is way simpler than doing it on the TV IMO.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:Well you don't want to use xbmc to its full potential, you want to use linux to its full potential afaict Smile And as I said, update is an essential feature and should be in core. i.e. accessible via GUI (addon) Smile

And as darkscout, so awesomely put it Smile SSH is way simpler than doing it on the TV IMO.

I know about SSH but why do it remotely when it can be done on the device itself? Anyways lets not change the topic at hand here. I totally agree though that there should be a built in update feature within XBMC itself. Smile
topfs2 Wrote:Updating xbmc from within xbmc however is something we would want, the aptitude script tried to fill that role but we need to do it more native to the core.

Happy with this if xbmc is being run as a portable app.

Strongly opposed to execing syscalls from xbmc. Assuming we're debian based - The OS should auto upgrade the xbmc package along with dependencies and a plugin developed notifying the user that xbmc has been upgraded prompting the user to restart the binary.

Done
mobious Wrote:Well on Live atleast, since this would technically be replacing any form of input device I would have on my XBMC nettop, I need the F keys to be able to switch from XBMC to terminal so I can pull an update or what have you. Its something people can live without but it would be a nice feature to have for us Live users.

Personally, anyway if i am doing any 'admin' work on a device, just plug in a cheap usb keyboard, typing on this thing will be okay for short bursts, but don't try and write your memoires on it.
If you want it automated, put it in cron. Sometime you're unlikely to be watching TV. Sunday morning at 4 am. Have the computer power itself on (if you sleep it, 90% of BIOS support this). Then
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
Code:
No context menu button? Sheesh.
Phokus Wrote:No context menu button? Sheesh.

Its Shift+Ok on the keyboard side
topfs2 Wrote:And as darkscout, so awesomely put it Smile SSH is way simpler than doing it on the TV IMO.
I agree, ssh into the xbmc machine for the vast majority of administration. However, I use a remote with a keyboard with Live, and you can just select "Exit" from the xbmc main screen to get to a terminal. Then just restart xbmc (or the whole machine) and move on. Don't need F keys on my remote control - the wife wouldn't even pick the thing up.
And if it's an autoupdating appliance you're looking for (You don't want to deal with SSH), then you really need to start looking at OpenELEC.tv
Code:
This is almost a perfect remote.

I currently use the remote for my Yamaha Amplifier, it has a somewhat unique feature of being several remotes at the same time.

There are 3 power buttons across the top, TV, Amp and "Device"

EG: If you switch your amp to the "DVD" input, then the remote also turns itself into DVD mode, and remaps a bunch of the buttons to control the DVD player.

If you switch the amp to the "CBL" input, then the remote turns into CBL mode, which I have set to an MCE remote.

The only drawback to the Yamaha remote is the fact that it is a bit busy, there are to many buttons which is confusing for new users and visitors.

LESS is MORE!

@Malard
Congrats on the creation of the XBMC remote, I have read way to many threads here of guys who have spent hours configuring some weird remote to work. Just spend the $60, and save 2 or more hours of your time!

What would work for me (and probably many others)

3 power buttons (TV, Amp, XBMC)
This would allow all essential devices to be turned on, no crazy macro just 3 simple buttons across the top.

TWO sets of volume buttons
TV Volume and Amp Volume

TV Input button
The ability to switch the TV from TV mode to AV-1 or HDMI-1

remove the 0-9 buttons, I never use them... does anybody?

PVR buttons

*maybe add a "SHIFT" button, where power users can choose to add a second function to any button, this way you can keep the remote simple but allow power users to put all of their OCD functions somewhere on the remote.
Great suggestions Kortina

kortina Wrote:3 power buttons (TV, Amp, XBMC)
This would allow all essential devices to be turned on, no crazy macro just 3 simple buttons across the top.
+1

kortina Wrote:TWO sets of volume buttons
TV Volume and Amp Volume
+1, I currently hack this by remapping the 3 and 9 keys as volup/voldn. Maybe just one set of volume buttons, but combine with the below suggested "shift" to change volume on the other device?

kortina Wrote:TV Input button
The ability to switch the TV from TV mode to AV-1 or HDMI-1
+1, this is the only reason my TV remote is still on my coffee table

kortina Wrote:remove the 0-9 buttons, I never use them... does anybody?
+1, only use for them is to make up for the lack of other keys. However, telling my wife "just press 9 to get the context menu" doesn't get a positive reaction.

kortina Wrote:PVR buttons
Not sure about this one, what is a PVR button other than what we have already (Record?)

kortina Wrote:*maybe add a "SHIFT" button, where power users can choose to add a second function to any button, this way you can keep the remote simple but allow power users to put all of their OCD functions somewhere on the remote.
I like it, but in practice you can just flip this remote over and use the standard xbmc keyboard shortcuts for advanced stuff.
this is going to be awesome. Been looking for something like this. Will make everything much easier in the end for everyone. I personally love the keyboard side. The price is not to bad sense I was thinking about spending 40 on a rii mini. I don't care about back lighting because when i watch a movie I don't fiddle with the remote. But a charging station would be a totally awesome feature. Just my 2 cents
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard1