• 4(current)
XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad
To answer a few questions:

- Real skinning won't be implemented. Coding a full skinning engine is way to much work, and personally i don't think this would get past apples approval mechanism (they are very strict when it comes to their human interface guidelines. Skinning would completely bypass these). But i did have the possibility of having different kind of "views" in mind while coding, so it shouldn't be a problem for me (for example) to create an alternative flat list layout.

- performance / database size:
Right now the app loads my ~200+ movies in the blink of an eye. Covers are loaded as needed and cached. Cached covers are loaded from the filesystem which is horribly fast. 1000+ movies shouldn't be a problem.
Sadly this filesystem access has a minor impact on the display update, so the scrolling seems to stutter a little bit when doing it fast. But this is display only, otherwise the performance is great.
- tv shows:
I've got 26 tv shows on my system, 100+ seasons combined, e few thousand episodes.
Loading the initial show list takes about 1.5 secs, but thats mainly to the fact that i do a thetvdb query because i have posters instead of banners on my xbmc. This is a feature i call "external banners" and can be switched on and off. So normally loading the tv show database should take <1s.
Browsing is completely realtime.
- music:
2500+ albums of 250+ artists load in ~1s.

- playing items:
Sure, you can start / enqueue any item by tapping a button on the back of it's cover. This way you can easily create playlist with tv show episodes.

By the way:
Anyone interested in an interface to the picture library (i'm not using it...)?
I would only be interested in an interface to the picture library if the pictures would also be fullscreen viewable on the ipad
Thumbs Up 
Just wanted to let you know that I'll be buying this the minute it hits iTunes!!

Really fantastic work and (if working correctly) will blow all the alternatives out of the water!
is it possible to add a gesture input mode, like the XBMC remote (by Collect 3) has it?
Looks great. Can't wait for it to hit iTunes.
Jeff Flowerday Wrote:Your new design layout has some potential. I'm just not a fan of the brown iBooks bookself background for a controller for a modern HTPC. I hope you've designed it to easily support different skins down the road?

Of course functionality, performance and stability should come first!

agreed...GUI looks a like outdated and not very modern.
panos_k75 Wrote:agreed...GUI looks a like outdated and not very modern.

Horses for courses, I personally love the UI, and thought to myself a while back "I wish there was a remote that looks like the iBooks app for XBMC"
yeah looks nice, just want to get it working without crashing.
I look forward to testing this
+1 Smile

no really, this looks amazing, if you need testers Smile Big Grin
This looks amazing. Please keep up development of this. Love the UI & simplicity of it.

I'd be willing to test if you need Beta testers also!
I have an ipad, right now I'm using "HD Remote" to control my XBMC. I like the interface but it could be a bit more stable.

I'd really like to try this whenever it gets ready.
Thank you to everyone for this awesome software!
Really looking forward to your first release!
Followed your development from the beginning.
short update:

The app is coming together quite nicely, i'm fixing a few (hopefully last) annoying bugs right now:
- the app crashes sometimes when the device goes to sleep while running
- the app crashes sometimes during the initial loading of thumbnails. Once most of the thumbnails are loaded everything runs quite smooth though.

Will start a beta-testing phase soon, keep an eye on this thread Wink

I've added a few changes to the remote control part of the app:
This is now styled as a chalkboard, with gesture-navigation enabled (ie swipe the ipad screen to move up / down on your XBMC box, two finger swipe for continuous movement (very helpful in long lists), and a few others...).
New screenshots will follow late this day...
Very nice! look forward to it.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad13