Python Version
As far as I can make out, XBMC python scripting is running on version 2.4 of Python. (at least on my install on a Fedora box.) The rest of my Python installation, i.e. anything non XBMC, runs under Python 2.6 This has lead to a problem in trying to integrate XBMC to another piece of software as certain system libs (hashlib in this case) are not available in the 2.4 platform.

So;
Is there a way to bump XBMC to use 2.6 ?
and
When will XBMC move to the 2.6 platform?

AFAIK current Python is 2.7 so even this would keep us behind the curve.

TIA
System info: Asrock ION330HT-BD (Intel Atom 330 4 core i686) connected to Sony KDL-Z5800 TV using hdmi via Onkyo TX-SR507 AV Amp. [Old Config Ubuntu 12.04. (Linux 3.2.0-32-generic-pae ) XBMCBuntu (Eden 11.0 Git:unknown Compiled Mar 24 2012). OpenGL 3.3.0 NVIDIA 280.13] New Config unknown - no working XBMC at moment!
chippyash Wrote:As far as I can make out, XBMC python scripting is running on version 2.4 of Python. (at least on my install on a Fedora box.) The rest of my Python installation, i.e. anything non XBMC, runs under Python 2.6 This has lead to a problem in trying to integrate XBMC to another piece of software as certain system libs (hashlib in this case) are not available in the 2.4 platform.

So;
Is there a way to bump XBMC to use 2.6 ?
and
When will XBMC move to the 2.6 platform?

AFAIK current Python is 2.7 so even this would keep us behind the curve.

TIA

you can build xbmc using external python, but its not recommended for some addons. users have experienced issues with it.

look here for python 2.6 and 2.7 branches but I am not sure if that will go in Eden
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7991
davilla Wrote:http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7991

Thanks for that, does that all mean that 2.7 will be Dharma or the later Eden release? Sorry, bit confused on that one. Just need to know whether to pursue what I'm doing now or leave it a while.
System info: Asrock ION330HT-BD (Intel Atom 330 4 core i686) connected to Sony KDL-Z5800 TV using hdmi via Onkyo TX-SR507 AV Amp. [Old Config Ubuntu 12.04. (Linux 3.2.0-32-generic-pae ) XBMCBuntu (Eden 11.0 Git:unknown Compiled Mar 24 2012). OpenGL 3.3.0 NVIDIA 280.13] New Config unknown - no working XBMC at moment!
chippyash Wrote:Thanks for that, does that all mean that 2.7 will be Dharma or the later Eden release? Sorry, bit confused on that one. Just need to know whether to pursue what I'm doing now or leave it a while.

Dharma is frozen atm, it will go into Eden
Dharma is 2.4.

It's uncertain after Dharma as several issues will need to get resolved to move past 2.5, read the trac ticket.
davilla Wrote:, read the trac ticket.
I did my friend but I don't presume to understand what the issues behind the trac issue are. I'm sure you guys do so no problem. The answer is XBMC is stuck at 2.4 until those issues get resolved. I'll just delay my development until it's fixed or find another way round it.
I had another thought; It is possible to run a shell command from within Python. Is it possible to set that shell up with the standard Python environment before using the command? That way I could call another script outside of XBMC in the 2.6+ environment that could do what I need to do. Does XBMC store the original environment somewhere when it sets up that can be retrieved to accomplish this?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Python Version0