Best video card for 220w psu
i have been looking at a few slimeline computers, but they only have 220w PSUs. so what are the options video card wise?
anyone know the psu requirements on this card? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814500164

I cant find it anywhere it only needs 18-watts power consumption, would this work on a 220w psu?
Assuming your 220watt supply has 18watts of overhead Smile.

Everything in the machine uses some of the power. Motherboard, cpu, hard disks, optical disks, usb devices, etc. Assuming you're running a fairly low power cpu and motherboard I'd bet 220 is enough, but if you're running a full fledged CPU and a couple of hard disks, you're probably out of power.
Memory Size: 4GB
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core e5300 @ 2.66GHz
Hard Drive Size: 500GB
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2757/10

Their test machine had an SSD drive (your spinning disk uses more power) and not much else.

Chances are the video card will work fine in your machine, but you won't have a lot of overhead. If the PSU is overloaded the rail voltages drop, if they drop too much it usually goes into protect and shuts off. If you run it near max power for too long it'll burn out faster than normal (but might last plenty long... you can never tell).

Power supplies "wattage" can vary quite a bit from PSU to PSU. It might say 220, but only capable of 180 or it might do 300 with no problem.
Don't worry, that card will work fine with a 220W PSU and the current hardware you have listed, you still have plenty overhead.

Forget that anadtech review posted by dan1son, they were using a GTX 280, that's why the consumption in the review is so high, your system will be currently well below 100W (more like 60-70).
ion_man Wrote:Forget that anadtech review posted by dan1son, they were using a GTX 280, that's why the consumption in the review is so high, your system will be currently well below 100W (more like 60-70).

Ah, sorry didn't pay attention to that. Smile
Hi,
I have an Acer Aspire X1300 Desktop PC which has the following specs:
AMD Athlon X2
3GB Ram
NVidia GeForce 8200 Integrated Graphics
PCU says "Continuous power" 220W

It has a PCI Express 2.0 x16 Slot (Low Profile)
I'm trying to upgrade the graphics card in it, I've just got a Gigabyte 8400 GS Low Profile card but it's saying recondmened power of 300W.
I've read lots on the Internet and most people seem to say that these will run fine on 220W.
Does anyone know if it will or not before I install it or send it back!!!!
Many Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best video card for 220w psu0