XBMC Live Dharma Beta 2 kills ALSA
toiva Wrote:No need to do a fresh install every time. Alsa sources should already under /root/alsa or something like that, simply do ./configure && make && make install and you're good to go.

I have ran into this problem also and I am a noobie with this so can you put it in simple commads? Thanks for helping a noob.
wamj58 Wrote:I have ran into this problem also and I am a noobie with this so can you put it in simple commads? Thanks for helping a noob.

I can't check the directory now, i'm at work but..

do

Code:
ls /root

this should show you the directory name where the alsa sources are, it's propably /root/alsa

Code:
cd /root/alsa
sudo ./configure
sudo make
sudo make install

reboot
theuni Wrote:A dist-upgrade will likely break alsa due to the fact that we compile it ourselves. I'll be working hard to change that before final release.

In the meantime, the easy answer is to avoid doing a dist-upgrade. If a regular upgrade won't work, please report it so that we can fix the packages.

And _please_ stop using those alsa upgrade scripts unless you understand what you're doing. (Hint: If you understand what you're doing, you'll likely understand that you shouldn't do it Wink )

TheUni

Cant agree more. And also since it's theuni's 666 post. I strongly recomend you listen to it Nod
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
well i know for a fact that doind a dist-upgrade does upgrade your kernel to the default ubuntu one

so the fix is simple to say N to dist-upgrade and then sudo apt-get upgrade <the xbmc packages suggested by dist-upgrade> and then Y

thats what i do
toiva Wrote:I can't check the directory now, i'm at work but..

do

Code:
ls /root

this should show you the directory name where the alsa sources are, it's propably /root/alsa

Code:
cd /root/alsa
sudo ./configure
sudo make
sudo make install

reboot

When I do the ls /root I get 3 choices:
alsa-driver-1.0.23, also-lib-1.0.23, also-utils-1.0.23

Which do I use?
compiling the module should be enough, so the driver one
Exclamation 
wamj58 Wrote:When I do the ls /root I get 3 choices:
alsa-driver-1.0.23, also-lib-1.0.23, also-utils-1.0.23

Which do I use?

i´ve made this in every folder step by step and sound now works.....
Software: XBMC Live Skin: Modded Confluence AppleTV2: XBMC....rocks
KARATELIGHT
Mmmm i really can't get my head around this. People always say to upgrade JUST xbmc you simply do a

sudo apt-get upgrade xbmc

but on every live distro i've tried this one i always get other packages upgraded and then it breaks my alsa sound

Quote:xbmc@xbmclive:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade xbmc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
xbmc xbmc-bin xbmc-data xbmc-live xbmc-skin-confluence xbmc-standalone
The following packages will be upgraded:
gzip libgudev-1.0-0 libsmbclient libudev0 libwbclient0 libwww-perl
linux-headers-2.6.32-24 linux-headers-2.6.32-24-generic
linux-image-2.6.32-24-generic linux-libc-dev mountall samba samba-common
samba-common-bin smbfs sudo udev wget
18 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
Need to get 59.8MB of archives.
After this operation, 20.5kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

So why does that work for everybody else but not me ? confused Sad
-= My Media Centre =-
ACER Revo R3610 | x2 1.5TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drives (WD15EADS) | x2 2.0TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drive ( WD15EARS ) | 3.5in Black eSATA USB Trayless SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure | Emprex 3009URF Wireless MCE Remote Control | XBMCLive Dharma Beta1
danz0l Wrote:Mmmm i really can't get my head around this. People always say to upgrade JUST xbmc you simply do a

sudo apt-get upgrade xbmc

but on every live distro i've tried this one i always get other packages upgraded and then it breaks my alsa sound

So why does that work for everybody else but not me ? confused Sad

The kernel packages are commented out in the xbmclive version and will be prevented for being updated. What you are showing a own distro with it's own settings.
erhnam Wrote:The kernel packages are commented out in the xbmclive version and will be prevented for being updated. What you are showing a own distro with it's own settings.

No thats XBMCLive Dharma beta

this seems to work better

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libevent-1.4-2 transmission-cli transmission-common
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
  xbmc-bin xbmc-data xbmc-live xbmc-skin-confluence xbmc-standalone
Suggested packages:
  xbmc-third-parties xbmc-test-helper
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  xbmc-web
The following packages will be upgraded:
  xbmc xbmc-bin xbmc-data xbmc-live xbmc-skin-confluence xbmc-standalone
6 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 18 not upgraded.
Need to get 39.9MB of archives.
After this operation, 344kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
-= My Media Centre =-
ACER Revo R3610 | x2 1.5TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drives (WD15EADS) | x2 2.0TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drive ( WD15EARS ) | 3.5in Black eSATA USB Trayless SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure | Emprex 3009URF Wireless MCE Remote Control | XBMCLive Dharma Beta1
toiva Wrote:compiling the module should be enough, so the driver one

This worked and now I have audio again. Thanks for your great help. I will make sure I just do the upgrade xbmc next time.
Simply execute the following at the command prompt:

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic

This will install the latest back-port modules for alsa which will not have the symbol errors.
Also tried to upgrade to Dharma beta2 today.

First i did

Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade

And upgraded some packages, which had no xbmc packages included at all. After this upgrade my ALSA was also broken. Next i did the

Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

To upgrade XBMC to Dharma beta2

At this point Alsamixer still did work though but

Code:
cat /proc/asound/version

Showed that ALSA 1.0.21 was installed.. i believe Dharma beta1 originally cam with ALSA 1.0.23

Eventually i upgraded ALSA with the ubuntu-audio-dev PPA through synaptic and after that ALSA 1.0.23 was installed and working again. All sounds are working in XBMC
anonym1te Wrote:Simply execute the following at the command prompt:

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic

This will install the latest back-port modules for alsa which will not have the symbol errors.

Same here just figured it out tonight. dist-upgrade killed the sound. I don't know if the above command is the same as what I did below, but this worked for me.

I did a uname-a

Linux XBMCLive 2.6.32-24-generic-pae #43-Ubuntu SMP Thu Sep 16 15:30:27 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Then aptitude search modules-alsa

p linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.32-21-generic - Ubuntu supplied Linux modules for version 2.6.32 ALSA snapshots.
p linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.32-21-generic-pae - Ubuntu supplied Linux modules for version 2.6.32 ALSA snapshots.
p linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.32-22-generic - Ubuntu supplied Linux modules for version 2.6.32 ALSA snapshots.
p linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.32-22-generic-pae - Ubuntu supplied Linux modules for version 2.6.32 ALSA snapshots.
p linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.32-23-generic - Ubuntu supplied Linux modules for version 2.6.32 ALSA snapshots.
p linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.32-23-generic-pae - Ubuntu supplied Linux modules for version 2.6.32 ALSA snapshots.
i linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.32-24-generic - Ubuntu supplied Linux modules for version 2.6.32 ALSA snapshots.
i linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.32-24-generic-pae - Ubuntu supplied Linux modules for version 2.6.32 ALSA snapshots.
p linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic - Backported drivers for alsa-driver snapshot.
p linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic-pae - Backported drivers for alsa-driver snapshot.

Install the ones specific to your kernel version:

apt-get install linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.32-24-generic linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.32-24-generic-pae

Rebooted and everything was good again.
The solution given by fryed_1 worked perfecly and survived reboots, additional installations and other upgrades. Also, it's a good thing to point out that Lirc is working beautifully on Dharma Beta 2. Just dropped my config files, reboot and my remote is fully configured.

Only thing not working is the reboot itself. If you select reboot, it will quit and reload xbmc instead of rebooting, even if the config is set to reboot. But this is far from being a showstopper of course

Looking forward to Beta 3! send us more! Big Grin

Regards,

DiabboVerdde

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live Dharma Beta 2 kills ALSA0