Common site playback modules for plugin developers
opps title meant to say modules

I was thinking it would be cool to make modules for the playback of media from various sites. So for example you could feed a youtube module a videoid and it would return the final playback link. I plan to make several modules myself for some us stream sites[rtmp Sad ]. It would make it easy for people trying to make a new plug-in for a site that uses one of these sites for hosting. They could just import the module and feed it the needed data for it to return the playback url. I am not sure the big ones anymore but mega video and other similar sites.

I was also thinking like the ICanHazCheezeBurger plug-in could be expanded to support the youtube videos they post easily with such modules. I just think it would benefit everyone both developers and users.

I am mainly doing the modules I am because in the hulu search has the option to return results from other websites. Many which already have plug-ins but I thought it would be really cool to be able to play them from with in hulu's search. Anyway that is what sparked the idea. I thought I would put it out there and perhaps others would find it appealing as well.
Sounds like a good idea to me - reusable code is a good thing ™.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I like the idea since I for example more or less adapted the youtube implementation of another plugin myself for my eevblog plugin. The problem I see is more of a management issue: if youtube changes, and my plugin breaks - I would want to fix it right away. If I use an external module, I couldn't very easily - I would have to wait for the module author, send him patches and hope he fixes things as fast as I would want him to. If he doesn't react within a few hours, I know I would get frustrated and just reimplement things myself again Wink Also there is the issue of maybe having to "fix" the api of a module, thus breaking all kinds of dependent plugins, so that would have to be handled as well.
A common github for people to co-maintain such modules would be nice in that case. Might make for fast fixes that help out all the plugins that use the modules instantly, but would need some maintainers that volunteer to check over the code, and cleanup the mess people might make.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Clumsy: My view was it would just make things easier when something breaks because it is one fix vs many. The question of who manages and sustains their functionality is an important problem but I don't know how to solve it.

I have been making some script modules. I don't know the best method for quality settings per provider. I would like the module itself to have a quality setting. I am not sure that is possible but would be ideal I think. I would rather the quality level not be needed to call the module.

I want it as simple as possible by giving them a URL of the site and then returning the final playback link. If it is a multiple segment video then it will return a stack:// URL of all segments.

I haven't done anything for embedded videos yet because the multiple site searches just use links. I will probably add a separate functions for embed codes vs URL.

I have done some work on a google video search addon as a non-rtmp proof of concept. I hope once this is complete it will generate interest in this idea. I have mostly been working on hulu modules but there is a lot of overlap of sites that they index so they should be useful.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Common site playback modules for plugin developers0