Noobie vents...
Star 
Using a desktop PC Win7/64 i7-860 ATI 5770, connected to both a monitor & LCD TV flipping between each (slightly diff res), I've noted that if XBMC is started in 1920x1200, flipping to 1920x1080 and toggle \ a full screen... it goes black no image. But if started in 1080P mode... no issue.

I come from a MMC set-up with the a mediabrowser add-on. Most movie folders still have mymovies.xml and backdrop.jpg files still hanging around. As a noobie; If someone can tell me what XBMC uses as it's meta file, and where it gets stored.. I could delete all the mymovies, movie.nfo or name.nfo I seem to have a number of XBMC places where Transparency! is stored, and I've been manually pointing at folders for graphics etc were default might prove to be more healthy in the long run. I'll discover the how and where in the next few days.. but in all the messages I've read here it's not clear yet.

On XBMC I have set-up Xzeners Icons for the first layer of video's as folder catagory icons(action, scifi etc)and presently use Ember Media manager (previously it was metamedia) and maintain all the fanart, backdrop, folder icons and infos in individual folders for each movie (I just don't trust software to put everything in one basket). I'm slowly getting used to using the 'library mode' but have issues with finding some single TV shows that don't fit the easy to scan library.

In flipping through a video deck in coverflow mode... sticky at first I thought my system was just too busy, or was caching... until I discovered the mouse pointer must be in the 'sweet spot'or hot area to allow the mouse wheel to race.(duhh) As noted by Ronie, drag the mouse lower and a scroll bar shows up. Now I can rapidly run through my entire collection faster than i can see... It would have been nicer to not locate the sweet spot to use the scroll mouse, but I guess I can move my drink.

Drilling down into movies in coverflow mode, then picking my choice for the evening I revert to the new Icon mode (kinda like the animation, but it would be a pain to collect all the disc.jpg) but with only one movie in the folder... why do I see 3 ICON cover images of the same thing and two huge blue arrows pointing up...(OK found Settings, Appearance, File lists, Show parent folder items, gets ride of the Blue Up-Arrow) but I have now have a whole row of covers.
Couldn't the extra space be used for media info, Using the 'Wall' seems an obvious choice for now... but it's unavailable in 'video mode'. (BTW: I'm using a logitech wireless MK700 mouse/keyboard).

Next issue came when I chose ICON mode when in a movie folder... seems either my fanart or folder icons missing... until I discovered that right clicking on a category icon and re-establishing the set-content (none and then movies)and rescanning cleaning up... set everything in it's right place. Kinda of a bug, but not a bug... When using the older 'video mode' to explore at the root level (the Xzeners icons), and I mouse over any of the icons... fanart located inside each folder root shows up as a nice backdrop, but if the folder is located on another drive, I get the default 'video' backdrop (it's multi-slides, so it's not boring). I'm using the Dharma B1

I discovered a message here to get rid of the main screen XBMC logo at top... not that I have anything against it, but couldn't this be used as a position for a .png overlay of Screen Messages, reminders of the keyboard short cuts, HD & digital logo's etc... while keeping an animated Ken Burns fanart collection further dazzling the viewer? So how do I get rid of the lower RSS background image?

Great skin, love Transparency! Cover flow looks awesome .. Sorry for the wordy mess..

Thank's Ronie.
PatK Wrote:Using a desktop PC Win7/64 i7-860 ATI 5770, connected to both a monitor & LCD TV flipping between each (slightly diff res), I've noted that if XBMC is started in 1920x1200, flipping to 1920x1080 and toggle \ a full screen... it goes black no image. But if started in 1080P mode... no issue.

can't help you with that i'm afraid, you'd best ask for advice in the "xbmc for windows" subforum.

PatK Wrote:I come from a MMC set-up with the a mediabrowser add-on. Most movie folders still have mymovies.xml and backdrop.jpg files still hanging around. As a noobie; If someone can tell me what XBMC uses as it's meta file, and where it gets stored.. I could delete all the mymovies, movie.nfo or name.nfo

the wiki would be a good place to start if you're looking for answers to that.

PatK Wrote:I seem to have a number of XBMC places where Transparency! is stored, and I've been manually pointing at folders for graphics etc were default might prove to be more healthy in the long run. I'll discover the how and where in the next few days.. but in all the messages I've read here it's not clear yet.

i can imagine...locations depend on what OS you're using, which version of xbmc you're running and maybe whether you've installed in portable mode or not.

bottomline, the skin resides in either the "skin" folder (xbmc 9.11) or the "addon" folder (xbmc 10.0 beta).

PatK Wrote:On XBMC I have set-up Xzeners Icons for the first layer of video's as folder catagory icons(action, scifi etc)and presently use Ember Media manager (previously it was metamedia) and maintain all the fanart, backdrop, folder icons and infos in individual folders for each movie (I just don't trust software to put everything in one basket). I'm slowly getting used to using the 'library mode' but have issues with finding some single TV shows that don't fit the easy to scan library.

In flipping through a video deck in coverflow mode... sticky at first I thought my system was just too busy, or was caching... until I discovered the mouse pointer must be in the 'sweet spot'or hot area to allow the mouse wheel to race.(duhh) As noted by Ronie, drag the mouse lower and a scroll bar shows up. Now I can rapidly run through my entire collection faster than i can see... It would have been nicer to not locate the sweet spot to use the scroll mouse, but I guess I can move my drink.

first xbmc (and the skin as well) is mainly designed to be controlled with a remote. this does not mean that mouse support is completely left out, but it can be a bit non-intuitive at times.
to use the scroll wheel, you need to put the mouse pointer on top of the center icon. the 'hot spot' is there for a reason, without it you'd get nasty side-effects; the list would start to scroll as soon as you move the mouse left or right.

PatK Wrote:Drilling down into movies in coverflow mode, then picking my choice for the evening I revert to the new Icon mode (kinda like the animation, but it would be a pain to collect all the disc.jpg) but with only one movie in the folder... why do I see 3 ICON cover images of the same thing and two huge blue arrows pointing up...(OK found Settings, Appearance, File lists, Show parent folder items, gets ride of the Blue Up-Arrow) but I have now have a whole row of covers.
Couldn't the extra space be used for media info, Using the 'Wall' seems an obvious choice for now... but it's unavailable in 'video mode'. (BTW: I'm using a logitech wireless MK700 mouse/keyboard).

a may at the wall view to file-mode sometime, though it may look a bit dull,
since all the media info isn't available in file-mode.

as for the icon view, it's the way xbmc is designed, it just fills the entire list with icons. if there's only one item in the list, it will reuse that one.

most views just work best in library mode.

PatK Wrote:Next issue came when I chose ICON mode when in a movie folder... seems either my fanart or folder icons missing... until I discovered that right clicking on a category icon and re-establishing the set-content (none and then movies)and rescanning cleaning up... set everything in it's right place. Kinda of a bug, but not a bug... When using the older 'video mode' to explore at the root level (the Xzeners icons), and I mouse over any of the icons... fanart located inside each folder root shows up as a nice backdrop, but if the folder is located on another drive, I get the default 'video' backdrop (it's multi-slides, so it's not boring). I'm using the Dharma B1

would be difficult to troubleshoot this one.
give yourself some time to become fully acquainted with xbmc and see if you can figure out the current behavior.

if all else fails, i'm gonna need a debug log, screenshots and a very clear picture of you folder layout.

PatK Wrote:I discovered a message here to get rid of the main screen XBMC logo at top... not that I have anything against it, but couldn't this be used as a position for a .png overlay of Screen Messages, reminders of the keyboard short cuts, HD & digital logo's etc... while keeping an animated Ken Burns fanart collection further dazzling the viewer?

screen messages are displayed at top-center.
reminders? of what? my birtday? ;-)
keyboard shortcuts...those can be fully customized by the user, so it's impossible to display an accurate set. there no way for the skin to know if you're using the default shortcuts or a customized set.
HD & digital logo's are not available at the home screen...

PatK Wrote:So how do I get rid of the lower RSS background image?

in Home.xml, delete this section:
Code:
<control type="image">
    <posx>0</posx>
    <posy>66r</posy>
    <width>1280</width>
    <height>66</height>
    <texture>Footer.png</texture>
</control>
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Wonderful support... thanks for humouring me and the tip to take out the lower RRS background. As you mentioned.. in a few weeks all this will be second nature, I've spent the evening looking at other peoples XBMC set-ups on YouTube, (using XBMC what else..) quite the accumulation. I'll probably be slicing and dicing ever which way, in the next few weeks... and getting myself into a lot of hot water.

Transparency! is my home skin..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noobie vents...0