[Dharma Beta2] Stutter on a blu-ray rip
I've just done a quick test with MPC-HC on my windows machine (Nvidia 8800GT) and the file played flawlessly at all the points where my HTPC falls over.

I'm gonna go put my Camelot HDD back in my Asrock (used a different HDD for testing the betas) and try that again because I'm sure this problem wasn't evident before Dharma, though it could just be me not noticing before.

Edit: Just tried Camelot and the exact same issue was there so it isn't a version specific issue. I'm gonna install Dharma onto my main desktop on a seperate HDD to test that.
Just tested on my main machine with Dharma Beta3 on a spare HDD.

Tested with both the original 1.95 Nvidia drivers used on the LiveCD and I also tested with the latest drivers available 260.19.12.

Specs:

Motherboard: Asus P5N-T Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 (Stock)
Graphics: Dual Nvidia 8800GT (not sure if only one is used in XBMC or not)
Sound: Creative X-Fi Fatality
HDD: WD5000AAKS SATA 16MB 7200RPM

Tested the same files:

Phantom - TRU-HD Played with no frame rate issues.

Phantom - FLAC Same stuttering/framerate issues at exactly the same points as on the ION system.

Phantom - PCM converted from FLAC Played with no frame rate issues.

I also did the same tests using rips done from my Avatar and Purple Rain Blu-Rays with the same results, I don't have Batman Begins to test with unfortunately.

Phantom and Avatar are both H264 so I tried Purple Rain as it's one of the few VC1 Blu-Rays I own with HD audio.
Great tests Mnementh, thanks! Sounds like there is a problem with the way XBMC handles multichannel FLAC mkv files.

I chose Batman for the same reason you chose Phantom - it stutters at the beginning of the movie, so it's a quick and easy test.

With all your info we can probably submit a bug report on the trac.
pennant Wrote:With all your info we can probably submit a bug report on the trac.

Before doing that I'd want to run all the tests again and produce Debug logs for each scenario which will take some time as I will have to create most of the files again (stupidly stored them on my NAS and then in a fit of what I can only describe as madness, decided to delete them!)

On a side note, I've installed Win 7 on my Asrock (it's handy working in the IT industry and having lots of spare kit lying aroung Smile ) and tested the Phantom mkv with FLAC audio and it played perfectly in MPC-HC. When I tested the same file in XBMC Dharma Beta3 it exhibited the same issues with the framerate as the live version.
I can confirm that the Mac version of XBMC has the same problem as well. Plays smoothly under Mac VLC.
I've created a bug report ticket: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10581
pennant Wrote:I've created a bug report ticket: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10581

Gah... guess I'm gonna have to get around to re-doing those tests and posting logs Wink

Life intrudes far too much sometimes...
Still no dice with Beta 4 unfortunately.
I'd be interested to know if and when this gets sorted. I've recently moved to XBMC, and bought a Revo 3610 and shoved XBMC Live on it. I started ripping blu-rays with flac soundtracks. I actually bothered to sit down yesterday evening and watch The Matrix, and it kept dropping frames randomly. After tearing my hair out, I found this thread. I then stripped out the flac, expanded to LPCM, muxed it back in - and hey, presto! The problem disappeared.

I think for now, I'm going to have to keep an alternate DTS/AC3 track in there. I can't justify LPCM.
Yeah I'm going with AC3 now. I'm not going to pretend that I can hear the difference between lossless audio and AC3.
I'll probably just re-rip mine with the original HD audio tracks (I know I'll only get DTS from the DTS-HD MA tracks but I can live with that), I haven't even switched my box on for over a week, been too busy with work.

pennant I will get around to re-doing those tests and posting logs maybe with some samples I just haven't had the time recently it's been absolutely manic at work. It won't be this weekend cause I'm in London but hopefully next weekend I'll have some time to myself to get it done!
Mnementh Wrote:I'll probably just re-rip mine with the original HD audio tracks (I know I'll only get DTS from the DTS-HD MA tracks but I can live with that), I haven't even switched my box on for over a week, been too busy with work.
I may do this - TrueHD is fine, and DTS-core at 1536Kbps is acceptable.

One day it may be fixed (so I can go back to flac), or one day we may get an open source decoder for DTS-MA (so I don't need to use flac).

Filespace isn't really an issue, and the difference between flac and the original track isn't too huge anyway.
I've been trying to work out which of my rips have this issue.

Not sure if it's a coincidence - but it seems from the ~15 Blu-ray's I've recently ripped, the ones with problems were those with LPCM or TrueHD sources converted to flac. All the DTS-MA sources I've converted to flac don't exhibit this problem.

Anyone else able to comment?
i use aac -q1.0 . i cant hear the difference between aac at q=1.0 and flac so to me it's the same.
csmager Wrote:I've been trying to work out which of my rips have this issue.

Not sure if it's a coincidence - but it seems from the ~15 Blu-ray's I've recently ripped, the ones with problems were those with LPCM or TrueHD sources converted to flac. All the DTS-MA sources I've converted to flac don't exhibit this problem.

Anyone else able to comment?

I'll look into this from my end and let you know...I have been busily re-ripping the DTS-HD + Dolby TrueHD tracks for my blurays.

NOTE: the real greasy one for me was The Dark Knight which is Dolby TrueHD...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Dharma Beta2] Stutter on a blu-ray rip0