• 4(current)
[RELEASE] MCERemote Addon - MCE Remote Control Plugin for XBMC on Windows
Hey jhsrennie,

thanks a lot for this very easy way to get this mce working.

I still used the old xbox remote with eventghost and find some things are missing here at you config.

The toggle between fullscreen and xbmc menu/list.
It is the big display button on top of the xbox remote.
This I am missing a lot and would find it suitable to put it on the green button instead of ctrl shift w.

Than also "context menu" is missing
and simply "escape" is also missing.....

and the ok button is showing the osd, I would prefer that in fullscreen it should toggle the video size 4:3, 16:9 ...

this was all original on the xbox xbmc like that´since the beginning!

Could you please help me with this? I am just try using the rc6 remote, china copy of óriginal microsoft!

By the way I can see that the receiver of the rc6 remote is capable to recognize commands of the old xbox remote. Is it possible to translate this commands to use it for xbmc? I think still the xbox remote is perfect in every way!

thanks
Hey jhsrennie,

okay I managed the most very quickly alone, it was very easy.
Only to toggle the video size....
I don´t find the command for the keyboard.xml and have some understanding problems, because the ok button for example will do different things at different situations.
Do you know how this is managed?
Okay got this too, toggle Aspet Ratio it was.....
the command is "AspectRatio"

but have it on a different button not on the ok button.......
Sascho, could you please post what changes you made and where? it may help other people, thanks.
Homerboy Wrote:can you get me a working IR receiver in WHS??!?!

Smile

Another late reply:
Install Win7 first
install WHS in a virtual machine (I'd only consider Vmware)
both machines are on the same network if you configure the VM to access the routeur directly.
you can also configure the VM to be in a private network, the data between W7 and WHS moves "internally", i.e. not via the routeur, speed is lightning fast but other computer won't be able to access WHS.

I used this setup for 6 months for testing WHS on a laptop and it worked like a charm. Now I have dedicated machines as I couldn't fit 12 disks in a HTPC (too big, too noisy)

You may read here and there that running an OS slows downs the host OH (Win7) because of multiple I/O. I didn't not have any problem (mind you, my laptop has a SSD). At the end of day, you're just streaming media, not a big deal. If you really want to be on the safe side, you can always use a SSD or install the VM onto a separate Hard Disk.

you have to google it to find some tutorials as I remember there was a trick: WHS installation required some HD driver (SCSI?) which you needed to provide via the virtual FDD.

It sounds odd to install it that way but it really works like a charm.
If I had to start from scratch, I'll do it that way because now I'm aware of the concept of DAS.
All in all, it's more cost effective.

last word: you would need windows 7 64bits to support 4 gb of RAM (or more if you can). 3gb is too little.

Another last word:
then you can use your remote control, since it's connected to Win7!!!!!!
First of all, if you were using eventghost, open the mce remote plugin section at the top of it and untick "Disable HID service". Then exit the program (can also stop it booting at startup if you are serious about getting rid of it)

Alright guys, did you copy the new keyboard.xml from the trac ticket (http://trac.xbmc.org/browser/branches/Dh...yboard.xml) to your

Program Files\XBMC\System\keymaps folder?

Download the 0.05 pack from http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/ (or whatever version it is up to by the time you get to it)
Extract it and keep the extracted folder and the zip file somewhere you know.
Launch XBMC and go into addons and "install from zip file" on this.
Start the addon through the programs menu and pick to add the registry keys (first option)

You will then be required to restart your PC.

Once all going again, head to the folder you extracted and within resources/data there is another keyboard.xml.
Copy this one to C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\keymaps\ (or the location it is stored if you have done a portable install)

Open the keyboard.xml you have copied to your userdata folder, the keyboard.xml you put in the XBMC install directory, plus the showkey.exe program found in the resources/data folder of the extracted zip file.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Keymap.xml
This page will also come in very handy. At the bottom is a list of most (if not all) of the available actions that can be used in your keyboard.xml

The idea of what we are going to do now is see what each particular key of your remote sends by looking in showkey.exe. You can also test some of this within XBMC to see if a particular key is already doing what you want it to do.

If a key is not doing what you want, or just popping up a notification, decide what you want these to do, even if they are different things in different windows.

We DO NOT edit the keyboard.xml that is in the install directory, as when you do an upgrade you will lose all your hard work.

So editing the userdata keyboard.xml, find the code from showkey.exe and paste it into the file. Now you also need to know if this will be a global setting for the key or just a particular window. This is where original file comes in.

The sections such as <global> <home> <virtualkeyboard> and so on need to be put into your custom file if you want to change keys only in those sections.

As an example, i wanted my DVD Menu button to open up the codec info (usual keyboard press "o") of a playing video file.
So i added <m mod="ctrl,shift">CodecInfo</m> to the global section of my keyboard.xml

The <m mod="ctrl,shift"> i got from showkey.exe, the "CodecInfo" from the webpage above, and because i don't want that button doing anything else in any other window, i put it into <global>, although this could have gone into <FullscreenVideo> as well so i could use it for something else globally. I could also overwrite its function in say <Visualisation> by adding it there as well.

A trick for new players is making sure the back and other buttons do want you want them to do.

The green button on my remote i wanted to open the context menu ("c") on any items, but open and close the OSD in videos and music visualisations. So i added

<w mod="ctrl,shift">ContextMenu</w> to the <global> section,
<w mod="ctrl,shift">OSD</w> to <FullscreenVideo> and
<w mod="ctrl,shift">ActivateWindow(MusicOSD)</w> to <Visualisation>

however this didn't let me press the green button again to close the OSD in those windows. So you also have to add

<w mod="ctrl,shift">close</w> to <MusicOSD> and
<w mod="ctrl,shift">close</w> to <VideoOSD>

A copy of my keyboard.xml that I think i am happy with can be found here.
http://rapidshare.com/files/422223292/keyboard.xml

There a still some buttons I can't decide on a use for, but will add them as i think of things.

If anyone needs any help please post here and along with jhsrennie and everyone else will do my best.

Cheers
kulprit
zpike1 Wrote:trying to find a way to open the "context menu". most other functions seems to work Smile

Amazingly the Action you need is "ContextMenu" :-)

JR
Hey jhsrennie, any chance you have considered changing what the power outputs so I can set it to the shutdown menu rather than it still being used by windows. Is there any downside to this?
kulprit Wrote:Hey jhsrennie, any chance you have considered changing what the power outputs so I can set it to the shutdown menu rather than it still being used by windows. Is there any downside to this?

Originally I had the power button mapped to alt-F4 so pressing it once closed XBMC, then pressing it again closed Windows. However this proved unpopular because people wanted the power button to put their PCs into standy.

To make the power button send alt-F4 open %appdata%\xbmc and drill down into addons\plugin.script.mceremote\resources\data and open MSRemote.reg in Notepad. Find the line:

0c,00,00,00,03,82,00,\ ; Power - left at Windows default

and change it to:

0c,00,00,00,04,04,3d,\ ; Power - was "03,82,00" sends alt-F4

or to send "S" to open the shutdown menu:

0c,00,00,00,04,00,16,\ ; Power - was "03,82,00" sends "S"

Now run your modified MSRemote.reg and reboot.

JR
Kulprit: awesome guide you wrote there. Thanks.
cheers, for both the compliment Botafuco and the help jhsrennie. With your new version is the only difference the ability to click open and it opens your userdata keyboard.xml with notepad. Not to say its not helpful, just want to know if i need to update.
kulprit Wrote:cheers, for both the compliment Botafuco and the help jhsrennie. With your new version is the only difference the ability to click open and it opens your userdata keyboard.xml with notepad. Not to say its not helpful, just want to know if i need to update.

No, not unless you want a quick way to edit keyboard.xml :-)

To be honest the plugin is something you're only ever going to use once to configure the remote. You could uninstall it once the remote is working.

JR
I try to get the remote to work but it doesn't work that good Sad

I got kulprit keyboard.xml file but i only get the red button to work (shutdownmenu)

When i klick the other green, yellow and blue nothing happens.

The other thing i try to get is how to get the power button back as it was from start. I can't use the powerbutton to start my HTPC any more and thats kinda anoying.

Thanks for all help Smile
zpike1, if you press the green, yellow etc buttons with showkey.exe up does it get an output?

jhsrennie, any idea how to get the remote to perform jumpsms settings like in a list, plus sms typing if i wanted to in a on screen keyboard to work?
kulprit Wrote:zpike1, if you press the green, yellow etc buttons with showkey.exe up does it get an output?

jhsrennie, any idea how to get the remote to perform jumpsms settings like in a list, plus sms typing if i wanted to in a on screen keyboard to work?

kulprit,here is the info:

Red Button <one mod="ctrl,alt">Notification(Key, one, 3)</one>
Green Button <two mod="ctrl,alt">Notification(Key, two, 3)</two>
Yellow Button <three mod="ctrl,alt">Notification(Key, three, 3)</three>
Blue Button <four mod="ctrl,alt">Notification(Key, four, 3)</four>

T Buttom (Bottom af the remote) <t mod="ctrl,alt">Notification(Key, t, 3)</t>
Mystic button, left uper corner <t mod="ctrl,alt">Notification(Key, t, 3)</t>

Have no idea what the Mystic and T button is good for.

Noticed that the yellow button seems to refrech my filelist or somethling like that.

Edit : pic of the remote
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] MCERemote Addon - MCE Remote Control Plugin for XBMC on Windows3