Hardware for a FAST, RESPONSIVE user experience?
Question 
I'm also thinking of building a XBMC HTPC box. I would like to be able to playback 1080p 60fps (28-35 Mb/s) video from the Panasonic TM700 camcorder, which seems to be a problem for most of today's GPUs (and many CPUs).

Does anyone have experience with this kind of video playback?
poofyhairguy Wrote:No. At the current time no hardware in XBMC Live support HD Audio bitstreaming.

Support is being worked on, and by the next XBMC release (so after Dharma) there should be bitstreaming support for current ION2 devices.

If you need that feature stick with the Boxee box for now, or run the XBMC Windows development version (called DS player) where it is supported.

I don't have to have bitstreaming per se, even PCM decode would be fine, but I would really like it if I got the full DTS-MA and THD tracks that I paid all that money for on the original BDs.
Hi, I use the linux version with 4GB ram a amd phenom 235e and igp 8200 and no hdd at all. An USB Stick contains the kernel and loads the image from a server into the ram. The music/movies/pictures/livetv are stored on the server and accessed with nfs.

-Works great if a 24/7 server is already there (when will we see arm and bobcat boards)
-The frontend is quiet and low cost
-snappy!!!
pugz Wrote:I'm also thinking of building a XBMC HTPC box. I would like to be able to playback 1080p 60fps (28-35 Mb/s) video from the Panasonic TM700 camcorder, which seems to be a problem for most of today's GPUs (and many CPUs).

Does anyone have experience with this kind of video playback?

I have some 3D content that comes at 24p x 2, so almost that framerate at 1080p.

If you wouldn't mind throwing a sample on a Rapidmegashare site I will run it by my GT430, which is as good as it gets this current generation for HTPCs.

voip-ninja Wrote:I don't have to have bitstreaming per se, even PCM decode would be fine, but I would really like it if I got the full DTS-MA and THD tracks that I paid all that money for on the original BDs.

Linux (on ION1,2 gt2xx, and gt4xx GPUs) can send 7 channel PCM to the receiver. Multichannel FLAC and Dolby True HD decode natively in XBMC to PCM and as of now DTS HD just passes the primary track.

The problem is that there is no open source decoder for DTS HD.

The solution is to decode the DTS HD to PCM (actually multichannel FLAC) when you rip it. The upside of this is single consistent mkv files at a smaller size (because FLAC is the world's greatest lossless codec), the downside is it takes some CPU time.

Here is the guide I use:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17002

poofyhairguy Wrote:I have some 3D content that comes at 24p x 2, so almost that framerate at 1080p.

If you wouldn't mind throwing a sample on a Rapidmegashare site I will run it by my GT430, which is as good as it gets this current generation for HTPCs.

Some sample video is linked from here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...p=18850803

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware for a FAST, RESPONSIVE user experience?0