• 1(current)
[REQUEST] RSS Reader Script Addon for Dharma?
Lightbulb 
So, first things first--

MultiRSS by cf2009 is pretty good, but doesn't seem to work with dharma. I downloaded the most recent version with github and made an addon.xml file for it, and while it seems to have worked fundamentally (I saw headings of the RSS I inserted) it failed to exit and ultimately crashes XBMC.

So, I am requesting that someone either bring multiRSS up to date, or bring a whole other RSS reader into existence.

I believe XBMC's ability to integrate information from RSS is of growing importance, since it is not only the smoothest way to integrate text and image information from regularly updated sources into XBMC (such as news, software updates etc), it has also become the leading way to automate certain tasks using programs like sickbeard.

For example, sickbeard is soon going to likely support an RSS feed of the upcoming shows (which would serve as a viewing guide to many) as well as its history. SABnzbd already supports such a local RSS feed.

The brilliance of an RSS plugin is that it eliminates the need to create many ultraspecific plugins, such as a sickbeard plugin. If there is information that you regularly want off of your computer or the internet, you would need only figure out how to generate an automatically updating RSS feed.

Some features that I think would be good to include that multiRSS currently lacks are:

1. Information access for skinners, so that RSS info can be incorporated in the skins (home screen, for example).

2. Settings GUI

3. Support for images and thumbnails.

4. If possible, (this is asking a lot) some sort of information that could link directly to content that is already in the library.

So, for example, sickbeard RSS shows that a show has been downloaded. If the RSS contains the directory, be able to select the show and play it from the RSS feed.

It is important to emphasize that Sickbeard does not even currently generate such RSS feeds, but it is showing on googlecode that this feature is coming.

The point is not creating RSS specifically to control sickbeard, but as a way of freely sharing information from the outside world with the XBMC interface.

Imagine access to a sickbeard viewing guide, or seeing the progress of torrents and nzb downloads on your homescreen, all because of RSS! And of course, all of the great content available through RSS on the web.

Hope that this inspires someone to take on the task! Thanks in advance.
I've wanted this since I first tried XBMC a year back. The support for images in an rss-feed are a big thing for me. Some kind of global indication in a skin that tells the user there are unread posts would be a killer.

I would also like to add the possibility to have a view that shows all feeds in one and also the option to categorize each feed.

If everyone decides to make this, they have my eternal gratitude.
branlr Wrote:So, first things first--

MultiRSS by cf2009 is pretty good, but doesn't seem to work with dharma. I downloaded the most recent version with github and made an addon.xml file for it, and while it seems to have worked fundamentally (I saw headings of the RSS I inserted) it failed to exit and ultimately crashes XBMC.

So, I am requesting that someone either bring multiRSS up to date, or bring a whole other RSS reader into existence.

I believe XBMC's ability to integrate information from RSS is of growing importance, since it is not only the smoothest way to integrate text and image information from regularly updated sources into XBMC (such as news, software updates etc), it has also become the leading way to automate certain tasks using programs like sickbeard.

For example, sickbeard is soon going to likely support an RSS feed of the upcoming shows (which would serve as a viewing guide to many) as well as its history. SABnzbd already supports such a local RSS feed.

The brilliance of an RSS plugin is that it eliminates the need to create many ultraspecific plugins, such as a sickbeard plugin. If there is information that you regularly want off of your computer or the internet, you would need only figure out how to generate an automatically updating RSS feed.

Some features that I think would be good to include that multiRSS currently lacks are:

1. Information access for skinners, so that RSS info can be incorporated in the skins (home screen, for example).

2. Settings GUI

3. Support for images and thumbnails.

4. If possible, (this is asking a lot) some sort of information that could link directly to content that is already in the library.
Thanks for the hint on multiRSS.

Ad.1 In basic form it's already in xbmc - scrolling headers in home (at least in confluence skin)
Ad.2 What settings would You like (despite configuring feed sources/categories of course) to be there?
Ad.3 I think it's easy - give me some links with rss feeds that uses images
Ad.4 That would need knowing actual format of that rss description - scanning every word that could be path to movie/tvshow/etc doesn't seem cool for me, but is doable

Another thing I think I would try to use existing skin's window/dialogs so using rss reader would seem really integrated into xbmc
Ok, it took me some time to start it - here are initial results:

http://wojtek.piechowiak.eu/mich/rss.jpg
http://wojtek.piechowiak.eu/mich/rssimage.jpg

I'm not really happy with it's current look and ease of use - so my dear fellow xbmc'ers - I count on Your suggestions (pictures with Your concepts would be nice too!)

Some info:
  • I really want to integrate it with skin - don't know how to do it yet - maybe I should use dialogs instead of window? Give me some feedback.
  • If any skinner would like to add more detailed RSS Feeds into Home window or any other for that matter I could prepare GUIless mode to provide skin's properties to do it
  • It reads RssFeeds.xml from userdata, we can use RSS Editor to add/edit/remove feed sources.
I'm so happy someone is making this!

Some ideas:
- A way to put a post as read/watched just as in the video library would be great.
- As I've said before, some sort of global notification that there are new unread 'posts'

Please make it as plugin so everybody can make customized skins to suit their needs.
fillidill Wrote:I'm so happy someone is making this!

Some ideas:
- A way to put a post as read/watched just as in the video library would be great.
- As I've said before, some sort of global notification that there are new unread 'posts'

Please make it as plugin so everybody can make customized skins to suit their needs.
Ad.1 When post would be marked as read/watched? If user spent fixed amount of time (15 seconds?) reading it and/or user pressed "I've read it" button?
Ad.2 Notification dialog (the one that is poping up with informations like "add-on update available") is too intrusive (in my opinion), but it could be added as optional. I could add some property that skinners could use - to do something like mail icon in tray - but this would be up to skinners to add support for it. Of course user could edit skin on their own if he need it badly.
Ad.1 There should definitely be a button/context menu of some sort to force it to be marked as read/unread. I think 15 seconds are far to long, not all posts contain a lot to read. Maybe it's best to mark it as read immediately when clicked on instead. Also, the option to mark a whole category as read/unread would be nice. Very time consuming to mark one by one.

Ad.2 I agree that it would be a little too intrusive. The icon tray idea sounds perfect to me though!

Keep up the good work, man!
very interesting!
Pls continue in developing Smile
read/watched feature: - when user use 'enter' or 'space' (using default keymap) it toggle read/unread also it autoset read if spend 2 seconds on reading

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/334/rsswatched.jpg

will add 'hide read items'
Awesome grajen3, this is coming along nicely.

Could you also please add the date (<pubDate>) for each post?
fillidill Wrote:Awesome grajen3, this is coming along nicely.

Could you also please add the date (<pubDate>) for each post?
Sure, that's no problem - actually it needs really just GUI's .xml update.

Most stuff to use script to be used by skinners is already done - now really I would need some skin's modification to check if it works as i hope.

Next i will work for will be:
  • toggle to hide items that are already read
  • sort by [date, channel, *ideas??*]
Holy crap grajen, I leave this post to die for a few weeks and I come back and you've done all of this!

Thank you SO much!

I can't believe you have support for skinners and everything!

This will be come a staple, like recently added and weather.
@branlr:
It's not done yet - I had to change some inner workings in script to make data acquiring independent from GUI (i was developing it with 'worse is better' attitude just to get it working). I'm now doing more detailed date parsing (handling timezones etc.) to do sorting by date etc
added sorting (by date / title / channel)
Regarding ideas for ways to sort, I can't really think of anything more than you already have. I'll let you know if I do.

Looking really good! Keep it up.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] RSS Reader Script Addon for Dharma?1