Projector friendliness ideas - XBMC features/function to be friendly for projectors?
jmarshall Wrote:I'd prefer just an optimized default - atm I think it's just a couple of pixels - could probably get away with say 5% of the screenheight instead. After all, if you want to use it you'll be quite happy to move it more than that.

Currently it's 2 pixels hardcoded. I think for this a fixed number of pixels makes more sense, it's the physical distance of mousetravel you are testing.

And that means it must be user-settable, the pixels a mouse travels when you accidentally nudge it 2 mm is widely different for different mice (or driver settings etc).

(That is if I am correct in presuming a given distance mousetravel translates to the same mousemove message in pixels whatever the screenresolution.)
Aardvark Wrote:Why? This is just a misconception forced upon us by the inventors of the DVD format. One of the main reasons I still do not have a commercial dedicated media center is they do not allow you to shift subtitles. It is _my_ screen, _I_ want to decide where the subtitles end up, whether I want them inside the video or below or at the top.

Hear, hear! Wink

There are not many hardware DVD/BluRay players that allow for this either. Philips has one or two that do allow you to shift subtitle position, and I suspect that is just because they sell a 21:9 format TV...

/M
Submitted patch for extended control of subtitle positioning at http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10281
mikper Wrote:Philips has one or two that do allow you to shift subtitle position, and I suspect that is just because they sell a 21:9 format TV...
/M

A bit OT but I think that might be allowed considering this specifiic thread: Dune has just released a new firmware which should allow shifting. And OPPO is rumored to do so in the nearby future. But all three Philips/Oppo/Dune are top-of-the-range expensive machines.

But most of these solutions only allow auto positioning inside the video. And I sometimes want repositioning from inside to outside. Or at the top for when it is multi-language where I does not interfere with hardcoded subs I cannot read. And there is no scaling, which means the subs are way too big on a screen.

So still: HTPC rules ;-)
Thanks for the patch Smile

There was an "m" missing from the "any" in my post above. Some subs (particularly on Anime) are designed to be displayed over the video precisely, as the text is designed to go all over the screen, and altering these may cause problems.

Regarding the mouse just set the move amount to a suitably large value - doesn't matter if you consider pixels or a fraction of the screen, as long as it's large enough it will work just fine.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:There was an "m" missing from the "any" in my post above.

That changes the remark completely... (Can be even worse though: seen 'Brazil'...?)

In that case it is good that my patch does not even try to keep the subs fully on screen when in manual mode, I'll add a note there.

Quote:Regarding the mouse just set the move amount to a suitably large value - doesn't matter if you consider pixels or a fraction of the screen, as long as it's large enough it will work just fine.

I'll post a simple patch for the advanced setting in pixels one of these days (if not beaten to it). Probably under 5 lines needed.
this is a must
DGMurdockIII Wrote:this is a must
OK... What exactly?
this is exactly what i need (another panasonic ae-4000 zoom user with a 2.35:1 screen here) and im looking at the ticket at http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10281 but i have no idea what to do with the .diff or .patch attachments. can anyone briefly explain for me please?

edit: nevermind - i worked it out Smile

edit2: no i didnt... i keep getting fails.. argh...
-White subtitles ruins the projector auto iris function, resulting in deep blacks coming and going with the subtitle.

It would be nice to be able to set Subtitle transparency (or even better contrast) to lower the subtitle brightness for all kinds of subtitles (dvds and blurays).
Anydvd has a transparency setting for dvd subtitles and does this on the fly, but it would be even better (looking nicer) if if we could just cut the whites of the subtitle and/or darken it.
I would prefer if I could change the subtitle transparency/contrast in XBMC, on my Mac.

I would also be nice if i could move all subtitles to the bottom of the screen.
still no idea what to do with this patch attachment in that ticket... i just upgraded to latest 10.1 Live and thought this feature would've been implemented for external subtitles to shift vertically correctly (via calibration) but it still hasn't.
This seems like a great feature!

I have an old wide-screen and it auto focusses on what is shown.
For TV-series the subtitles are inside the video (and the TV zooms in so that the video is fullscreen). However for Movies (often a wider aspect ratio) the subtitles are under the video (and the TV zooms in so that the video is up to the top of the screen, but at the bottom it leaves room for the subtitles).
This means that whenever i switch between movies and tv-shows i have to go to the videocalibration screen and get my mouse out to edit the subtitle position (can't do it with my remote).

How do i use/add/implement the patch provided here (10281) ?
Guys I'm planning to do a CIH projection system and this would make a huge difference, considering that my entire HT setup revolves around XBMC. Will these patches become a part of Eden?
Dear all,

Just like Smobbo and Phorte, I am really confused about how to implement the patch? Anybody care to teach me?

Sorry, I am not a computer hobbyist / programmer .... just a folk who love to watch movie Smile

Thank you very much,

Anggoro YN
In answer to two recurring questions on this thread and to me privately:

1) To apply a patch you have to build XBMC yourself. It is not difficult, but I won't hold your hand. Following the steps in the Wiki to the letter should get you there.

2) I do not know why the patch is still Future/Pending. I just posted a Q on the dev-forum to that effect.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Projector friendliness ideas - XBMC features/function to be friendly for projectors?0