[LIVE] HOW-TO easily configure wireless network for XBMC Live installations
I was also having trouble finding the wicd-curses, so I did:
sudo apt-get install wicd
instead (warning - I don't know if that is a good idea or not because I have no idea what I am doing, but I saw "wicd" in the output of the "apt-cache search wicd*" command gilphilbert said to run, so I thought I would give it a shot).

I was then able to run the "wicd-curses" utility, but it could not find any wireless networks and there are several near me, so I don't know what else is wrong.
CornerSage Wrote:I was also having trouble finding the wicd-curses, so I did:
sudo apt-get install wicd
instead (warning - I don't know if that is a good idea or not because I have no idea what I am doing, but I saw "wicd" in the output of the "apt-cache search wicd*" command gilphilbert said to run, so I thought I would give it a shot).

I was then able to run the "wicd-curses" utility, but it could not find any wireless networks and there are several near me, so I don't know what else is wrong.

Hmmm. I've tried this myself on a fresh install and it works fine. Which version of XBMCLive are you using?

*edit*
Just tried this on XBMC 9.11 live and had problems myself. I tried updating as I said, and still nothing. Then I tried it again and nothing. For some reason, a third time fixed it and I could now install it.

If you're running 9.11, you want to install wicd, not wicd-curses as on 9.11 (based on Ubuntu 9.10) the wicd package includes wicd-client and wicd-curses. On dharma, you need to install wicd-curses.

If this still doesn't work, try aptitude...
Code:
aptitude install wicd
tbeardenjr Wrote:I installed XBMC to my HDD from the latest Live CD.

When I run:

apt-get update

I get:

Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic Release.gpg
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic/main Translation-en_US
etc.............
Reading package lists... Done

When I run:

apt-cache search wicd*

I get:

(a lot of stuff, and since I'm running all this on a different system, I can't copy and paste. here are a few things. maybe you can tell me what specifically to look for here.)

dvipdfmx - A DVI to PDF translator with CJK support
grep - GNU grep, egrep and fgrep
libcroco3 - a generic Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) parsing and manipulation toolkit
etc.........

When I ping Google.com, I get all replies back.

Also, here's what's in my /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-security main restricted universe multiverse

Thank you for your help so far.

Sounds like you're running 9.11. See my post above - I had to type apt-get update three times before this would work. No idea why (and I've been using Linux for a long time and never come across this).

What you can try (and I have no idea if it fixed it), but I changed my /etc/apt/sources.list to:

Code:
deb [url]http://[b]gb[/b].archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] karmic main restricted universe multiverse
deb [url]http://[b]gb[/b].archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] karmic-security main restricted universe multiverse

(gb is for Great Britan - you can chose a mirror closer to yourself)

I don't know if the gb archives have different packages, but they certainly shouldn't - it may be that this forced a refresh.
Thanks a lot gilphilbert, worked like a charm on my Zotac ION ITX A-E Smile
.nimrod Wrote:Thanks a lot gilphilbert, worked like a charm on my Zotac ION ITX A-E Smile

Glad I'm not the only one this works for! It's dead easy if you're on Dharma - and not really much harder if you're on 9.11 (Ubuntu Karmic).

The hardest part is installing the packages manually - and if you're scared of that, just move the machine temporarily to a switch/router to gain internet access and do it that way.

Good luck guys!
I took a break for about a week. Was so frustrated working on this.

Here's what I did to get it to work.....

(1) changed my sources to the Great Brittan sources (just in case)
(2) ran this aptitude install wicd (this is probably what fixed it)

Now I have wifi connectivity, even after a reboot.
So it seems I most likely am using the 9.11, although I haven't checked to be sure. I'm a linux newb.... Thanks guys for your help!
wicd-curses did the trick for me on Dharma4, thanks.
this worked great!! thanks heaps dude!!
Works perfectly, finally a nice hassle free way to configure wifi in console only. Thanks Nerd
Hi,
noob here and I was able to connect to my network through the terminal, but once I rebooted into XBMC live it was no longer connected. Is there a step I'm missing? I have a WEP connection if that makes any difference. thanks
This worked perfectly for me. I'm now connected via wireless and can SSH to my box over it. However.... i've got no internet access in XBMC?? No RSS ticker or weather... any ideas?

EDIT: This is not the ipv6 issue, i've checked and ipv6 is disabled... can anyone help? I can ping google.com fine from the terminal, just no internet in XBMCHuh
I got this up and working, but upon reboot it fails. The problem seems to be that I start my WPA2 passphrase with the @ symbol which in turn causes the authentication routine to fail because of the special character. I've tried putting the WPA passphrase in double and single quotes in the /etc/networking/interfaces file, but neither worked. I haven't tried the backtick yet. Anybody know of something that would work short of changing my passphrase?
Im running the Live solely from USB-stick, when im on a wired network and run apt-get update, install wicd-curses i get to select my WLAN and everything works fine. However, upon rebooting it all fails.

What i have figured out so far is that it seems that nothing is written back to the usb-stick for storage. After rebooting and i try to run wicd-curses i get the following error message "wicd-curses: command not found"

Is the only way to store any changed to install the Live-version on the HD?

Frank
-try 'sudo wicd-curses'
-when configuring wlan, make sure you mark the options to automatically connect after boot, it's just above the wlan security key options
Witter: Thank you, but i have tried that already. The problem seems to be that the Live-XBMC that runs of the Cruzer-stick (8GB) does not keep any changes after next reboot. even wicd-curses need to be re-downloaded and installed...and re-configured.

I had some issue with adding ra0 into interfaces as well, it was all saved nicely, but upon reboot it was all gone.

It seems to me me that i need a real dummy-guide how to make a "Live" XBMC that keep changes on a usb stick ;-)

Frank

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO easily configure wireless network for XBMC Live installations1