[LIVE] HOW-TO easily configure wireless network for XBMC Live installations
you are sure you have installed it and not just running a live session? any other disk you can try?
is it possible to connect to 2 networks like in windows?

one over wlan and one over lan?
frank_jarle Wrote:Witter: Thank you, but i have tried that already. The problem seems to be that the Live-XBMC that runs of the Cruzer-stick (8GB) does not keep any changes after next reboot. even wicd-curses need to be re-downloaded and installed...and re-configured.

I had some issue with adding ra0 into interfaces as well, it was all saved nicely, but upon reboot it was all gone.

It seems to me me that i need a real dummy-guide how to make a "Live" XBMC that keep changes on a usb stick ;-)

Frank
How did you create the thumbdrive XBMC? If you used the BDW (Bootable Disk Wizard), you should have been prompted as to how much space to make available for persistence. The persistence part of this is what allows you to save configuration information across reboots, as it writes the information to the thumbdrive. Without persistence all config changes are just written to RAM, which is then lost across a power cycle. This is most likely why you have to redownload everything each time.

The BDW is available in the Add Ons section of XBMC from Dharma b1 on, IIRC. You should be able to burn the ISO to CD, boot from that, and then create a thumbdrive install with persistence.
angrycamel Wrote:Fixed the problem by backing up and deleting the wireless-settings.conf file.

Code:
sudo cp /etc/wicd/wireless-settings.conf /etc/wicd/wireless-settings.conf.bak
sudo rm /etc/wicd/wireless-settings.conf
sudo /etc/init.d/wicd restart

Hope this helps someone else.

Thanks angrycamel. This solved my problem!
pumkinut Wrote:How did you create the thumbdrive XBMC? If you used the BDW (Bootable Disk Wizard), you should have been prompted as to how much space to make available for persistence. The persistence part of this is what allows you to save configuration information across reboots, as it writes the information to the thumbdrive. Without persistence all config changes are just written to RAM, which is then lost across a power cycle. This is most likely why you have to redownload everything each time.

The BDW is available in the Add Ons section of XBMC from Dharma b1 on, IIRC. You should be able to burn the ISO to CD, boot from that, and then create a thumbdrive install with persistence.

Sorry for the late reply here.

This is how i do it:
- The drive was formatted as FAT32 to begin with, didnt do anything.
- I then ran Universal-USB-Installer-1.8.1.7
- used the 9.11 Live iso
- Reboot with the stick in computer

In a effort to try another program i even tried to use "unetbootin-windows-494" and "FUSBi".

But as you explains here that its only kept in memory sounds feasible to me. Its just a bit pity one has burn a CD first and then burn it to a USB stick, im doing this from a netbook without CD-drive. Would it be possible to do the same but with two USB sticks, as in one with the regular Live, when asked to install install it to the 2nd USB stick.

Frank, Norway
Ok I am banging my head against the wall with this. I have installed wicd no problem, but it doesn't see any networks.

I am a complete n00b at this but it does appear my computer does recognise wireless adapter.

When I do "/sbin/ipconfig -a" it does show an adapter at wlan0.

Could this be a driver issue?
I seem to have the same problem as kirk1. I got wicd-curses installed on xbmc 10 no problem, but I don't get any wireless networks found.
Quote:I am a complete n00b at this but it does appear my computer does recognise wireless adapter.

What you can do is to download an Ubuntu Deskop CD and boot it live ("try ubuntu") if you can see the networks in the network manager then you know that all is ok...

I assume wifi is enabled in Bios if applicable?
fuqu Wrote:is it possible to connect to 2 networks like in windows?

one over wlan and one over lan?

I'd like to know something similar. I want to use wireless (now working thanks to this thread) for the internet connection, and wired for streaming (I have a cat5 cable going directly from my xbmc machine to a server).

The ethernet connection using a static IP address on both ends, and is in a different range to the wireless, but everytime I connect the wireless it uses that to stream. I've tried hitting the IP address of the ethernet port on the server, but it times out.

Any ideas?
At a guess

You are connecting to the server by name instead of by IP address, and your DNS is pointing to an address that is reached via the wireless network.

Try putting an entry into the hosts file "sudo nano /etc/hosts" with the name and IP address of your server.

Personally I wouldn't bother with trying to multi-home a media player, you're only adding complexity...
Quote:The ethernet connection using a static IP address on both ends, and is in a different range to the wireless, but everytime I connect the wireless it uses that to stream. I've tried hitting the IP address of the ethernet port on the server, but it times out.

I think MS have made some sort of hack, normally you should not have have two interfaces with the same default gatway. If you do that on two wired in ms win it will complain.

You say you have different subnets, but do you have 2 routers and do you have routing between between the wired and the server?

This is pretty complex and I don't understand the details myself and since you are asking here chances are you are under estimating the complexity. You should probably create another thread for this and the best place is probably the ubuntu forums.
It's ok. It's all sorted. The issue was with wicd; it can only handle 1 active network interface at a time. I've stopped using it, added the configuration (and some static routes) in the /etc/network/interfaces file, and it works now. The wireless disconnects occasionally, but it's functional at the moment.
nothing worked for me.

installed but the service at reboot won't go up and running.
tried removig and reinstalling
tried removing network-manager.

nothing worked. Now it can't start at all.
into wicd log file i found an error of file not found at first installation at last i could run wicd-curses
During second installation he hasn't asked for user group assignment, is it right?
now i'm like this: http://georgia.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...p=10325967

how can i remove completely these package and come back to the default setup? i will try some different way to configure wifi

EDIT: after unistalling the software i've removed all wicd-* file into /var/lib/dpkg/info now i'm back to my first problem: after reboot nothing work Big Grin
EDIT2: the file /etc/init.d/wicd tell me about a /var/run/wicd/wicd.pid but ther's no wicd.pid file in my system

with
/etc/init.d/wicd start
the service goes up, and i can access to configuration but wired connection is active and wireless isn't
gilphilbert Wrote:Easy Wireless Configuration for XBMC Live Dharma

Congratulations, you now have wireless networking! Smile

(sorry, I couldn't get a screenshot of a machine with wicd at the moment, but I'll try and get one and upload it)

I keep getting this screen.. as in your post,

but i can't seem to find any networks.. and I know there are about 15 wireless networks here as i can see them on my laptop.

What am i missing here...:confused2:
Raqueem Wrote:I keep getting this screen.. as in your post,

but i can't seem to find any networks.. and I know there are about 15 wireless networks here as i can see them on my laptop.

What am i missing here...:confused2:

If you are sure your adapter in compatible.

Go to the prefs screen and make sure your adapter is named correctly.

If you dont know what the name is type iwconfig in the terminal.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO easily configure wireless network for XBMC Live installations1