[LIVE] HOW-TO easily configure wireless network for XBMC Live installations
some interfaces require being forced shutdown and tuned back on again, otherwise they just seem to be up but they not initialized correctly. and of course having the newest wifi drivers helps 90%
Pretty sure i read somewhere that ensuring wifi card is enabled in bios and recognized ok. (wifi usb dongles in bios -- where power management of usb devices in general is managed in bios)

Quote:iwconfig wlan0 down

iwconfig wlan0 up
Replace wlan0 with the name of wifi interface in some machines this is ra0
iwconfig command should return the name of your interface on terminal.

Personally I would alwys recommend this read below...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo

Also important some machines dont support having a active Ethernet connection and connect to a wifi at same time. SO either shutdown the Ethernet interface by issuing iwconfig eth0 or eth1 down.

I also found that enabling link aggregation also works but this must be done manually meaning you can have two nics to be enabled at same time and receiving or transmitting data.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LinkAggregation

I find these to be indispensable to the learning curve.
Raqueem Wrote:Confused for the people who have the same problem as me.. apparently you need to turn off the Plug and Play option in your bios ..

Well go figure that out .. No

What option is this? I don't see anything referring to PnP? Are you running a Revo?

I am also not seeing any networks. New install of XBMC, correctly named wlan0... I cannot bring the wlan up or down though as per the above.. it doesnt recognise the term up or down.

The only thing I can think of is when it asked for a user at the install, I pushed enter, and it continued without selecting my user name. Every time I reinstall though, it doesnt give me that option any more. Also, it doesnt actually seem to install... wicd-curses wont load unless the usb stick is in the revo.

Anyway, as I dont know how to uninstall wicd, I am off to reinstall XBMC and start again Big Grin

edit - so that didnt work either. But I now know you have to hit enter to select the user, THEN push enter!

Any ideas?

edit 2 - followed and found this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=6...post674143
now working fine.
i cant get into terminal mode when i boot into safe mode it ask me for xmbc username and password??
if it's a default live install i think username and password is xbmc/xbmc
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
Hi to all.
I've Acer Revo 3600 and Xtreamer Ultra. In both cases wicd can't find any wireless network.
Tried to check if XBMC-Live found the wireless hardware (sudo lspci -v | less) -> yep it found HW and shows me the drivers used.
Any details suggestions how to fix this issue?

Thanx in advance

P.S. The problem was solved by configuring wicd-curses.
Thumbs Up 
gilphilbert Wrote:Configure Wireless

Hi gilphilbert - great guide, got me out of a lot of trouble over the weekend twice, but I think you are missing a step here. After installation of wicd-curses it seems to be very important to reboot xbmc before attempting to configure wireless. I use a wireless USB dongle and on both my installs this solved the issue that Angrycamel was having here http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=613576&postcount=5.

Thanks for the rest of the info though - have turned it into a pdf guide for future reference Smile
Sorry gilphilbert,
I don't know these commands so I'm copying/pasting what you wrote.

Can you kindy tell me when I've to do the following commads?
sudo aptitude remove network-manager
sudo /etc/init.d/wicd restart

...I'm following the guide that you made in the original post. Thanks in advance.
Thank you so much. This made my life so easier.

I am running this on Oneiric server and xbmc as frontend.

Their is no service or package named network-manager. Wicd seems to have replaced the default network manager. Do i have to remove the network manager or make changes to interfaces or resolv file? I have it working smoothly but i just want to get it right.

Thanks again.
Amor cuerdo, no es Amor.
Quote:Do i have to remove the network manager
No need to remove it if it is not installled. If you do not have gnome you most likely do not have nm.
vikjon0 Wrote:No need to remove it if it is not installled. If you do not have gnome you most likely do not have nm.

Thanks.
Amor cuerdo, no es Amor.
pumkinut Wrote:How did you create the thumbdrive XBMC? If you used the BDW (Bootable Disk Wizard), you should have been prompted as to how much space to make available for persistence. The persistence part of this is what allows you to save configuration information across reboots, as it writes the information to the thumbdrive. Without persistence all config changes are just written to RAM, which is then lost across a power cycle. This is most likely why you have to redownload everything each time.

The BDW is available in the Add Ons section of XBMC from Dharma b1 on, IIRC. You should be able to burn the ISO to CD, boot from that, and then create a thumbdrive install with persistence.

I created my XBMCLive using LinuxLive with 400MB of persistence memory, however I am still not able to gert this to work. I have tried installing from XBMCLive Persistence, and from XBMCLive SafeMode, but every time I reboot I have to reinstall.

Any help?
gilphilbert Wrote:So, you don't have a wired connection. Don't worry, generous as I am, I've created a tar file with all the required files and a simple install script. Download it from here:

http://www.filesonic.com/file/71484729/w...dharma.tar

Can someone reupload this file? Filesonic disabled their sharing. Thanks.
when i put:
apt-get install wicd-curses

i get :
not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
unable to write to /var/cache/apt/
the package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened

what am i doing wrong?
If you have done

iwconfig and you are sure you have a device also try running wicd-curses, then do a shift+p (must be a capital P). This will take you to a preferences menu. If like me you have run wicd-curses with an ethernet cable in there will NOT be a wlan device set. I entered wlan0 and it worked.....just a long time to find a dynamic IP.... that next I suppose Confused[/quote]
(2012-02-12, 19:07)dlinao23 Wrote:
gilphilbert Wrote:So, you don't have a wired connection. Don't worry, generous as I am, I've created a tar file with all the required files and a simple install script. Download it from here:

http://www.filesonic.com/file/71484729/w...dharma.tar

Can someone reupload this file? Filesonic disabled their sharing. Thanks.

I'm a little late but I uploaded the tar file in question. Maybe it'll help (although I'm not sure if it only works with Dharma):

http://goo.gl/sf98h

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO easily configure wireless network for XBMC Live installations1