Why scrape to enable Library Mode?
I've just setup my first XBMC on a REVO 3610. There was a few issues, that I have 99% worked though, but I'm a little confused on one thing.

Following this Lifehacker guide, I organized my movies and TV shows as suggested. I used Media Commander to scrape and add files to each movie folder. Things look like this...

/Movies/
/Aliens (1986)/
[INDENT].actors <- folder
Aliens (1986).mp4
Aliens (1986).nfo
Aliens (1986).tbn
Aliens (1986)-fanart.jpg
folder.jpg
[/INDENT]

I add the source in XBMC (/Movies), set the content as Movies, but don't scan the folder. While in file mode, I can see my movies and the poster shows just fine. I do not get the fanart and cannot change to library mode (preferred) until I scan for new content. This takes some time with my large collection.

#1 Is this normal?
#2 Shouldn't XBMC use the files from the directories?
#3 The LH guide isn't specific, but says you should be up and running in minutes if you need to reinstall instead of re-scraping you collection. Is the scan just creating the DB from the files in the folder?

I've tried this on both XBMC Live 9.11 and the new Xbmcfreak LiveCD 10.00 beta2 T2
Yes this is expected behaviour, you need to scan content into you library before you can use library mode. When you scan content, be it using local or remote sources it takes the information and creates the database.

I will look for local files first and use that info if its present and valid, then if not it will search using your default scraper.
prae5 Wrote:I will look for local files first and use that info if its present and valid, then if not it will search using your default scraper.

Maybe it would be more user friendly if prepared content (tbn, nfo) is scanned automatically when you add source. We should theoretically use scrapers to get missing informations.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Ah, ok thanks for clearing that up. I liked the advantages of having the meta data local (easily backed up, shared, customizable) and thought that the images are just pulled from the server when the movie is highlighted.
pecinko Wrote:Maybe it would be more user friendly if prepared content (tbn, nfo) is scanned automatically when you add source. We should theoretically use scrapers to get missing informations.

Well, thats exactly how the library update works.
Use existing information and if non exist, scrape them, like prae5 already said.
Z3rO Wrote:Well, thats exactly how the library update works.
Use existing information and if non exist, scrape them, like prae5 already said.

Let me explain myself better.

If NFO file is present in DIR, there's not much sense to "set content" and those media files should, more logically, be processed as soon as we "add source".
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Is it so hard to "set content" and let it scan your library once?

If you didn't set the content, and didn't have NFO etc for some files, XBMC would have to do more work to try to sort TV shows, Movies, Music etc.

Just set the content and let it scan. End of.
t2ffn Wrote:Is it so hard to "set content" and let it scan your library once?

Well, it's not about me as I know my way around. It's about more logical behavior that will help new users. Take a look at the first post.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Personally I find it more logical to have Xbmc do the work, then correct where it goes wrong. Of course, it would be interesting to use already existing metadata, but that's stored in the database afaik.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why scrape to enable Library Mode?0