Importing M4V movie files from iTunes?
Sorry if this has already been addressed, couldn't find any info. . .

I have a MacMini in my bedroom and ATV in the living room that syncs back to the iTunes library on the Mini. The Mini has an external drive attached to it where all of my media resides. When trying to import into XMBC, I'm navigating to the external drive where the iTunes directory is (Volume/iTunes Music/Movies). I see some miscellaneous files but am not seeing any of the movie files. I'm assuming XMBC supports M4v filesHuh?
Yes, XBMC plays .m4v and it should recognised anything ending.m4v as a video extension. What version of XBMC are you using?

JR
It does support them, but if they were purchased/downloaded via iTunes, you're probably out of luck due to DRM.
-stoli-
btalbott Wrote:10.0

Then I'm puzzled. I just tried renaming a .mp4 file to m4v and Dharma saw the file and played it just as I expect. If you copy one of your .m4v files to .mp4 does it appear in the listing?

DRM would stop XBMC from playing a m4v, but I don't think it would stop the file appearing in file view.

JR
yeah, I tried that too, didn't work. It works great on files that are local, just can't navigate to another volume on the network.
If it only fails when you're reading files across the network maybe you have a permissions problem.

JR
well, there are a few iTunes .ite files there that it see's.....but that's it. don't think it's permission's unless i'm missing something. There are also DVD rips in that folder that i'm trying to access as well. . .
OK, there's something wrong here. Browsing a music source will only see suffices recognised as music files, while browsing a video source will only see suffices recognised as a video source. The suffix ".ite" is not a recognised video or music file and shouldn't appear at all.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Importing M4V movie files from iTunes?0