Figured out what I needed to do to fix this problem on XBMC Live 9.11. It was all a matter of file permissions! (insert face palm here) I exited the gui and did the following:
Logged in at the terminal prompt.
sudo chmod 777 /usr/share/xbmc/system/scrapers/video/tvdb.xml
I did this to give me full read/ write permissions for this file.
I then went over to my desktop and logged into my XBMC box with filezilla, and navigated to /usr/share/xbmc/system/scrapers/video. I then copied it from my XBMC box to my desktop. I opened the tvdb.xml file in my xml editor (OpenOffice Writer). I searched for the following:
<RegExp input="$$5" output="<thumb type=
Once I found that line, I replaced it with the following:
<RegExp input="$$5" output="<thumb type="season" season="\2">http://thetvdb.com/banners/\1</thumb>" dest="4+">
I then saved the resulting xml file, and uploaded back to my XBMC box and having it replace the existing file.
I got both pieces of data from post #18 of this thread.
Now, I went back to my XBMC box and typed:
sudo chmod 645 /usr/share/xbmc/system/scrapers/video/tvdb.xml
This changed the permissions on that file back to the default. Rebooted the machine.
Now every TV Show scrapes like it did before.
Thanks for all the advice I got from you all. I hope this will help someone else down the road.