Buying a New PC, is this Good?
I was thinking about getting an Acer Aspire Revo after reading these forums for a few months now, but to be honest, the Atom CPU scares me if I ever want to use this PC for anything other than XBMC.

I found another cheap acer for a reasonable price. The specs are:
AMD Athlon II X3 425
3GB DDR3
GeForce 9200

I know the CPU is better than an Atom, but how much? Can it handle 1080p without help from the GPU? The GeForce 9200 is lower than the ION (9400 i believe) but would it perform better because it's not integrated? (I don't think it's integrated anyway). And would the 3GB of RAM be of any benefit to me using XBMC Live? I will also boot win7, so I know it will help there.

Thanks for any help, and sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Palmtree
My Celeron E3300 can decode 1080p without problems and your CPU is even faster. You shouldn't have any problems unless you have videos encoded at a high profile level ([email protected] drops frames). I have 1GB running windows 7 and everything works ok.
hey, i got and am3 board the asus m4a785td-m evo with an amdx2 250e and 2 gb ddr3 ram with wind7. this system is capable to play 1080 mkvs without problems. the largest cpu use i had was a 30gb transformers2 movie and the cpu had a load of something like 40% without using the onboard gpu. now i plugged in and geforce 275 and i can play every new game in 1920 resutions with full quality settings( something like a gamestation with 4x xbox controllers).
so back to your question, yeah your machine is awesome for xbmc and u can do other stuff with it and probaly for the next 2 years. if you got to regard the energy consumption, take a saving cpu like the 250e if you need power take the x3 or and x4 ( my main pc has the x4-955 with an ati 5850 and i dont feel the "more power" compared to the htpc Wink )

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buying a New PC, is this Good?0