When will XBMC play 3D video?
(2013-02-15, 03:29)steve1977 Wrote:
(2013-02-14, 15:05)da-anda Wrote: It's already working rather well (I tested a custom build with this) - but it's not yet perfect and some sort of autodetection to automatically switch the GUI into according mode is also missing atm.

The auto-detection when playing SBS movies is for me the most critical feature in my opinion (much more important than a 3D GUI or even sub-titles). Does anyone know whether this is technically even feasible and anyone working on it? Thanks in advance!

I would suggest it is not that easy because I have never seen a 3D TV that can can do it and hey: They are made for this stuff :-P
They only switch to 3D automatically it they get the pictures in frame-packing format.

Here is a brief explanation of the 3D formats: http://www.best-3dtvs.com/what-is-frame-packing-3d/

I think the most difficult part for XBMC will be sending the frame packing signal to support full HD 3D. I didn't even get this to work under windows using Stereoscopic player, PowerDVD, Bino who all claim to support this format.
You also need a graphic card to support it since most cards only support 1600px in height...

BTW: Apart from autodetection: I very much like the way bino handles the GUI part, where you have one dropdown for input and one dropdown for output. Now you can select which format your input is and how you want it to be displayed on the screen:

(2013-02-15, 12:46)Hasu0bs Wrote: I would suggest it is not that easy because I have never seen a 3D TV that can can do it and hey: They are made for this stuff :-P
They only switch to 3D automatically it they get the pictures in frame-packing format.

Here is a brief explanation of the 3D formats: http://www.best-3dtvs.com/what-is-frame-packing-3d/

I think the most difficult part for XBMC will be sending the frame packing signal to support full HD 3D. I didn't even get this to work under windows using Stereoscopic player, PowerDVD, Bino who all claim to support this format.
You also need a graphic card to support it since most cards only support 1600px in height...

BTW: Apart from autodetection: I very much like the way bino handles the GUI part, where you have one dropdown for input and one dropdown for output. Now you can select which format your input is and how you want it to be displayed on the screen:

Yes, 3D detection is going to be tricky. As far as it TAB and SBS goes, there is a meta tag in MKV that tells the player what 3D format is used. Other then that we could check the file name for TAB and SBS and switch GUI according to this (as fallback).

With the current feature set of the 3D work done so far, subtitles work just fine and you can manually switch/cycle the GUI to the 3D format of the movie - so sorta simmilar to the screenshot above. I mapped it to a key on my remote and it's not that much of an issue.

As far as sending the correct signals to the TV goes I have no idea. I'm atm still using a VGA cable to my TV so I can't tell if it works. IIRC on the PI they managed to send correct signals via HDMI - but I'm not sure if I understood that code correctly (I'm not a C++ dev).
Might be some sort of CEC Message on RBPI - or even a feature of the firmware (i guess the latter)...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2013-02-15, 03:41)nickr Wrote: 2. top and bottom (TAB) or side by side (SBS) store both images in one frame, but of course they are half resolution. The TV/Projector combines them. You see 3D but a 1920x1080 file will have each frame as 960x1080 for SBS or 1920x540 for TAB. These files are usually a result of ripping an MVC file and reprocessing it.

One minor clarification:
The files you describe are usually called Half side by side (Half SBS), but there exists Full SBS rips, and the software to make your own as well. These files are 3480x1080 (imagine two full 1080p frames side by side), and Stereoscopic player runs them just fine as well.
(2013-02-15, 15:19)rd1979 Wrote:
(2013-02-15, 03:41)nickr Wrote: 2. top and bottom (TAB) or side by side (SBS) store both images in one frame, but of course they are half resolution. The TV/Projector combines them. You see 3D but a 1920x1080 file will have each frame as 960x1080 for SBS or 1920x540 for TAB. These files are usually a result of ripping an MVC file and reprocessing it.

One minor clarification:
The files you describe are usually called Half side by side (Half SBS), but there exists Full SBS rips, and the software to make your own as well. These files are 3480x1080 (imagine two full 1080p frames side by side), and Stereoscopic player runs them just fine as well.

XBMC doesn't handle Full SBS, correct? I would be ok with ripping my blu rays to Full SBS at the cost of disk space until MVC was supported.

I also would help out with any 3d testing on my Pivos.
Been digging info on this awhile ago ... this is what I understand ... bluray use MVC to encode 3D ... you can rip 3D bluray to MKV using MakeMKV (these are MVC rip with no quality loss ... and not SBS or TAB)

playing MVC encoded content from PC to 3D TV (not talking about NVIDIA 3D Vision) is a bit tricky ... MVC is supported via HDMI 1.4a ... so your TV must support it (which is the case for 3D TVs anyway)

AND your graphic card must support it (obviously) ... for NVIDIA you need cards that support "3D TV PLAY" (free if you own NVIDIA 3D Vision system ... and need to pay some money to activate it if you don't) ... for AMD you need cards that support "HD3D" (this is totally free ... no activation required like NVIDIA "3D TV PLAY")

If you have above, you have required HARDWARE to watch MVC content from your PC on your 3D TV/Projector

Now you need software to play your 3D blurays or MVC encoded MKV (dont think there is any free ones)... thats PowerDVD and Stereoscopic player (think NVIDIA player can handle this also ... cant exactly recall)

For case of Stereoscopic player ... if it detects your hardware support HDMI 1.4a ... there will be option available where you can choose frame packed (MVC) ... if HDMI 1.4 is not detected, you will only have option of SBS, TAB, and anaglyph

Currently XBMC internal player does not support playing MVC content in 3D (it can play them, but only in 2D) ... whats worst is ffdshow also does not support MVC yet ... so I guess we are still long way from XBMC internal player supporting MVC
(2013-02-15, 13:12)da-anda Wrote:
(2013-02-15, 12:46)Hasu0bs Wrote: I would suggest it is not that easy because I have never seen a 3D TV that can can do it and hey: They are made for this stuff :-P

Yes, 3D detection is going to be tricky. As far as it TAB and SBS goes, there is a meta tag in MKV that tells the player what 3D format is used. Other then that we could check the file name for TAB and SBS and switch GUI according to this (as fallback).

With the current feature set of the 3D work done so far, subtitles work just fine and you can manually switch/cycle the GUI to the 3D format of the movie - so sorta simmilar to the screenshot above. I mapped it to a key on my remote and it's not that much of an issue.

As far as sending the correct signals to the TV goes I have no idea. I'm atm still using a VGA cable to my TV so I can't tell if it works. IIRC on the PI they managed to send correct signals via HDMI - but I'm not sure if I understood that code correctly (I'm not a C++ dev).

Reviving an old thread. Does the latest alpha support 3D detection / auto-switch for half-SBS?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Yes
This would be fantastic. So with the latest Alpha, I can just play HSBS and my Sony TV switches to HSBS automatically, Same for HOU? That would be really awesome!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
XBMC switches GUI automatic, TV not yet.
Ok, thanks. This is unfortunate. Any hope that Gothan will also switch TV? The word "yet" in your reply gives me some hope...
there is work done on this (using a special resolution that will trigger the TV to switch into stereo mode) . Problem is, it's not that easy to implement. AFAIK we only switch/change refresh rate/resolution on playback start, but stereomode handling is done after that atm plus you can switch from/to stereomode also while watching - thus we need to find a way how to redesign our resolution handling to cope with it nicely.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
When will XBMC play 3D video?2