Xbmc plays .bin files!
i downloaded a video from the web in .bin form. i burned it to a cd, but just for kicks tried to play the .bin in xbmc and it worked. how is it that xbmc can play an image file? pretty incredible. :kickass:
Information 
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/info_devel.htm
Quote:libcdio - xbmc uses this library to read iso 9660 and parse cd/dvd images
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/info_project.htm
Quote:features available for video playback:
- play supported video files directly from bin, img, nrg and iso cd/dvd-images

features available for audio playback/backup:
- play supported audio files directly from bin, img, nrg and iso cd/dvd-images

features available for picture/image viewing:
- view pictures directly from bin, img, nrg and iso cd/dvd-images
yes, xbmc is amazing! Cool
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
xbmc is truly sweet, now i'm just waiting for it to play videos directly from rar files, or even zips. though, it's probably a feature that mplayer needs to support first.
have u tried playing .rar files? try and see what happens... :kickass:
i have tried playing rar files containing avi files but i just hear messed up sound, no video or anything. could it be that xbmc doesn't work with rar 3.0 files or something?

i figured it supported rar files, because i can see them listed, but i haven't gotten them working yet. could it be because i'm trying to play them across a network?
no, we don't support playback via rar files in general.

it will work if you are streaming the rar files off a linux server with ccx-stream. (in this case, the rars are piped through unrar before being streamed, so the server does the unrar'ing)

perhaps in the future rar support will be of the level that xbmc can do it on the fly. if it does, it won't be all that pretty i feel (seeking etc. will be extremely problematic).
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

hmm, this is weird, i can play .rar files when i stream from my pc (smb, winxp). this is dvd movie that is rared down to many 50 mb files. (only play one and one).
coincidentally i use linux as my desktop, i'll check out this ccx-stream you speak of.

thanks!

but trying to play rar files directly sounded awful, i could have busted my speakers maybe. oh well, now i know to mute before trying something new.

update:
i just installed and ran ccxstream, but i still can't open rar files directly, it plays the rar files like it's a song and makes awful noises (even though i'm under 'my videos'. i can't find any documentation for ccxstream, nor does it offer any switches to enable rar support.

update 2:
i found the special 'unrar' version of ccxstream, too bad there's no ebuild for it in gentoo Smile

hopefully it works, i'll try it when i get home.

last update:
the special unrar version of ccxstream didn't work either. but luckily, i was able to delve into the source code and figure out why. the programmer makes a direct call to '/usr/bin/rar' when on every linux machine i've ever used, it's /usr/bin/unrar that is used.

so i just created a symlink from /usr/bin/unrar -> /usr/bin/rar. all better!

if i wasn't so lazy i'd change the source code so that the program wouldn't start unless it can find unrar (and say where it's looking for it) and then resubmit it. hmm, maybe after exams i'll try it.

but seriously, it now works like a bloody charm! thanks to whoever made ccxstream, and whoever hacked it to support rar files.
hey guys!
one question on the ccx_unrar...

i cant fast forward, only like 2x, and if i do it for a long time, the audio gets desynced. using the d-pad to forward doesnt work either.. Sad

anyone know how to fix this?
thnx Smile
i found out by accident that xbmc will play a dvd in in .iso format.
when i do play an .iso file xbmc jumps through the menus and goes directly to the movie and starts playing. normally i wouldn't mind this but if i play a multi-episode disk (like a tv series) it kinda sucks because you can't choose episode.

i still can't get it to play a dvd in the .img format. does anyone know what i am doing wrong. is there anyway to mount an .img file in a virtual drive (alcohol 120 vd) and stream from there?

thanks
well if you play the iso you don't parse it as an dvd, it just thinks it contains an mpeg stream.

.img get's parsed correctly as an dvd.. you should be able to play img in xbmc by default.

i can play an .iso but it won't play .img files.

what about streaming from a virtual drive? is this even possible?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc plays .bin files!0