XBMC Symbian S60 Remote v2 - unofficial third-party XBMC Remote Control for Symbian
Thumbs Up 
Simple Python Based Remote control for XBMC.

Requires Wifi and a Symbian S60 3rd Edition Phone.

Screenshots:
Image Image

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/5j83on99cc...motev2.rar

PIPs Installer: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IF16BWHY (you might also need it)

**HOW TO INSTALL**
  • Copy RAR contents to a folder.
  • Connect phone to PC in PCSuite Mode.
  • Install on Phone (using PC Suite or Similar):
    Python_2.0.0.sis
    PythonScriptShell_2.0.0_931-9.4.sis
    PIPs Installer 1.6 (if you don't have it already)
  • Modify XBMCRemotev2.py to set your default server address (open file with notepad and change IPTongueort on line 4)
  • Create Folder on the memory card on the phone named Python
  • Upload to recently created e:/Python:
    XBMCRemotev2.py
    bkg.png
    bkg2.png
  • Disconnect phone.
  • Make sure XBMC is on and HTTP Enabled: Settings->Network->Services->Allow control of XBMC via HTTP
  • Run Python2.0.0 (under aplications)
  • Select Options -> Run and select XBMCRemotev2.py
  • Use butons to control XBMC according to the image displayed.

**COMMANDS**

? : Set Host, change Theme or Exit
i : View movie information
* : Options Menu (on movie menu or while playing)
x : exit
C : Return

[+]: change Aspect Ratio (during movie)
[/]: Toogle Windowed or Fullscreen Mode
S : Toogle Subtitles on/off

Also: Play, Pause, Stop, FastForward, Rewind, Next, Previous, VolumeUp, VolumeDown, Mute

Improvements:
  • The pythons scrip now works on key events, it is more CPU friendly and will not run out your battery.
  • More KeyOptions.
  • Visual display of commands
  • "Themes" supported

Known Problems or issues:
  • It will take some seconds to send the first keys.
  • If the cellphone is in standby it will take 2 key press to send command. the first to wake up.
  • I will not save your changed server adress.
  • You have to open python first to access the program. (a Sis programa can be created in the future)

Tested on Nokia N85 using XBMC Dharma beta 2

Should work on:
Nokia N78, N79, N81, N82, N85, N86, N95, N96, E51, E55, E71, E72, E75, Samsung GT-I7110 and maybe some others.

Better than using the Iphone since you don't have to look at the screen, you can feel the keyboard.

Enjoy,
Ezzemo
Great work Ezzemo! I have been waiting for a Symbian app for a very long time.

The only problem is that I have en Symbian^1 phone (Nokia 5800) and your program is for 3rd edition. I did try it and it does work - sort of. When I run the script I get the interface up in the corner and it does not react on any touches. However I do get a fourway key and a select button in the bottom and those 5 buttons does work in xbmc.

Do you think you could write it work with S^1? I would be happy to be beta tester Smile
peter296 Wrote:Great work Ezzemo! I have been waiting for a Symbian app for a very long time.

The only problem is that I have en Symbian^1 phone (Nokia 5800) and your program is for 3rd edition. I did try it and it does work - sort of. When I run the script I get the interface up in the corner and it does not react on any touches. However I do get a fourway key and a select button in the bottom and those 5 buttons does work in xbmc.

Do you think you could write it work with S^1? I would be happy to be beta tester Smile

Peter, you could probably do it yourself since I don't know what the problem is or have a way to test it.
Inside the .Rar file there is a .txt file explaining how to modify the code.
Take a look at it.
It is a simple code, just creates the app and then binds actions to the keyboard. Check the commands that work and the ones that do not work and try to see in the code where the difference is.

Also, I tested it on Dharma Beta 2. did you do the same? the fourway key control is binded with numbers and the rest with names. maybe that has something to do with it.

To test the commands and see if they work on you XBMC before trying anything else, simply open an internet explorer and paste the command replacing +xbmc+ with you ip:port
example:
Code:
http://192.168.0.101:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=ExecBuiltIn&parameter=XBMC.Action(VolumeUp)
displays the volume
Code:
http://192.168.0.101:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=sendKey(272)
moves to the Left (272 represents the command to move left but there is also a command way to do it)
and so on..

Check the txt file for explanations where to get the codes and more.

about the screen, you may want to try changing:
appuifw.app.screen=
to 'normal', 'large' or 'full_max'
they might help.

Good luck with it and I hope you get it to work.

Ezze
I'm getting a error message on my N95 when I load the app -

Check if the follwing components are installed - Python runtime, PIPS library.

I installed the 2 sis files so not sure what the problem is?
nokmond Wrote:I'm getting a error message on my N95 when I load the app -

Check if the follwing components are installed - Python runtime, PIPS library.

I installed the 2 sis files so not sure what the problem is?

The problem is that you need PIPS library.
download it from here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IF16BWHY

I already had it installed so I didn't notice it was also needed.

Tell us if it works. I'll be updating the post later.

Ezzemo
I'll install that and report back. Cheers man.
It loads now but freezes whrn I choose the wifi network which i want to connect to.

I'll have a play around Big Grin
nokmond Wrote:It loads now but freezes whrn I choose the wifi network which i want to connect to.

I'll have a play around Big Grin

Try setting your local wifi to default to avoid selecting it everytime.
Ezzemo Wrote:Peter, you could probably do it yourself since I don't know what the problem is or have a way to test it.
Inside the .Rar file there is a .txt file explaining how to modify the code.
Take a look at it.
It is a simple code, just creates the app and then binds actions to the keyboard. Check the commands that work and the ones that do not work and try to see in the code where the difference is.

Also, I tested it on Dharma Beta 2. did you do the same? the fourway key control is binded with numbers and the rest with names. maybe that has something to do with it.

To test the commands and see if they work on you XBMC before trying anything else, simply open an internet explorer and paste the command replacing +xbmc+ with you ip:port
example:
Code:
http://192.168.0.101:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=ExecBuiltIn&parameter=XBMC.Action(VolumeUp)
displays the volume
Code:
http://192.168.0.101:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=sendKey(272)
moves to the Left (272 represents the command to move left but there is also a command way to do it)
and so on..

Check the txt file for explanations where to get the codes and more.

about the screen, you may want to try changing:
appuifw.app.screen=
to 'normal', 'large' or 'full_max'
they might help.

Good luck with it and I hope you get it to work.

Ezze

Thanks a lot Ezzemo for your input and for attempt to help me get started. I did have a look at it and you are right it does not look too complicated. My problem is that my 5800 is a touchscreen phone and I cannot bind commands to key presses as you do. I guess I need to bind a touch on a screen region to a xbmc command but I do not have any idea of how to do that and your code does not really help me.

Do you have any idea where I can find a python S60 5th ed. (S^1) toturial or guide on how to do something like this?
Ezzemo Wrote:Try setting your local wifi to default to avoid selecting it everytime.

You can only put it to default in S60v3 FP2, but not in FP1 (e.g.n82) or Standard S60v3 (e.g. N95).

btw, it also freezes for me (after running).
I don't know for sure what it was, but I had the same issue (freezes after choosing my wifi network) but I changed my wifi network to default, so it wouldn't ask me where to connect to and I also realized that I entered the wrong ip of my server, it was 192.168.0.100 and I used the default 192.168.1 and just changed the 101 to 100...

so I don't know for sure wich of the two "fixes" did the job, but I will try it when I get home and tell you..

sorry for language mistakes, I'm from Chile.
if the app freezes when selecting your wifi connection and can't set it to automatically connect.. then try downloading my first version.

XBMCRemotev1.rar
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?dvcvtqdi70x64o5

This v1 uses another method to detect keypress without binding them, and maybe that is the problem when selecting wifi network (keys don't work cause are binded to something else)
Note that it has a differente BKG image since buttons are binded differently and the programa uses more resources.

Hope it helps.. other than that I have no clue.

Good Luck
groggycl Wrote:I don't know for sure what it was, but I had the same issue (freezes after choosing my wifi network) but I changed my wifi network to default, so it wouldn't ask me where to connect to and I also realized that I entered the wrong ip of my server, it was 192.168.0.100 and I used the default 192.168.1 and just changed the 101 to 100...

so I don't know for sure wich of the two "fixes" did the job, but I will try it when I get home and tell you..

sorry for language mistakes, I'm from Chile.

well I´ve tried it, the problem was just that the server ip address was wrong, now I can choose the network and it doesn't freeze anymore, so that was it.

Conclusion: Freeze is beacuse wrong server ip address on your XBMCRemotev2.py file, and not because you are given the option to wich network connect.

:O

EDIT: FYI, I used it on my nokia n96, and work like a charm.
Currently testing on an E71 North American version. So far so good. Very slick. No lag. Thanks! I will report back If I run into anything.

z
Glad to see it's working and more people can use it. A tiny contribution. 127 downloads so far in this 20 days.

Thanks for the feedback
Ezzemo

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Symbian S60 Remote v2 - unofficial third-party XBMC Remote Control for Symbian1