• 5(current)
Port XBMC to run on hacked second-gen Apple TV (AppleTV 2 with A4 ARM chip and iOS)?
so then there's still the much needed OpenGL GUI acceleration left etc etc

topfs is the expert, but I'll try and go into detail even though I'm no dev: IF we had patches for a fully functional ARM port of XBMC there would be the possibility that the community could try and port this over to various ARM-based devices, with the exception that we'd also need access to hardware acceleration (OpenGL and decoding) for a comparably wide variety of SoCs with different GPUs, which in turn usually requires access to hardware- or at least platform-specific SDKs. for an open platform such as android, this *could* be a viable option. for closed systems such as iOS, let's say it would be a challenge.
until then, this discussion is of academic value.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Do you think full XBMC port is really necessary? Slim iOS client & streaming/transcoding is better solution IMO.

Instead of investing time in porting to another platform let's rather have a multipurpose solution.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:Do you think full XBMC port is really necessary? Slim iOS client & streaming/transcoding is better solution IMO.

Instead of investing time in porting to another platform let's rather have a multipurpose solution.

Totally useless if playing content from a NAS, you need a PC to transcode the video.
You're right. It makes sense for iPad only.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

no, it makes sense for all iOS platforms to have a native XBMC client. everything else is BS.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
pecinko Wrote:Do you think full XBMC port is really necessary? Slim iOS client & streaming/transcoding is better solution IMO.

Agree. It may be that the ATV2 has enough RAM and decoding ability to be able to run XBMC, and that if (big IF!) Linux can be ported to the ATV2 then it could - in theory - run, but I'm sceptical.

My personal preference would be to have a XBMC running on a full-powered HTPC (I use a MacMini myself) to do the transcoding and then stream the video to a thin-client for XBMC on the ATV2. That client could also run well on the iPhone 4 and iPad, no? So something akin to 'KLEXi for XBMC'.

How does an out-of-the-box ATV2 talk to iTunes 10.x? Would it be easier to give XBMC the ability to appear as an iTunes library so a stock, un-jailbroken ATV2 could access the XBMC library? Would still need transcoding of course... Or perhaps a plug-in for iTunes so that it sees the XBMC library as it's own - a proxy between XBMC and the SQLite/MySQL database and iTunes' database.

At $99 the ATV2 would be a great solution for a 2nd/3rd/+ TV elsewhere in a house with a heavy-duty HTPC at the core. I'm certain there would be great demand for some kind of solution to connect ATV2s to XBMC...
dc_williamson Wrote:My personal preference would be to have a XBMC running on a full-powered HTPC (I use a MacMini myself) to do the transcoding and then stream the video to a thin-client for XBMC on the ATV2. That client could also run well on the iPhone 4 and iPad, no? So something akin to 'KLEXi for XBMC'.

Fully agree. A KLEXi type of client (looking as stellar as XBMX) with a server doing the transcoding-on-the-fly would be so awesome. That would only "solve" ATV2, but also iphone4 and ipad. Unfortunately, there has bee clear hints from the developers that this type of server/client appproach is not planned. So, let's keep on dreaming for some solutoin to rule it all...
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
steve1977 Wrote:Fully agree. A KLEXi type of client (looking as stellar as XBMX) with a server doing the transcoding-on-the-fly would be so awesome. That would only "solve" ATV2, but also iphone4 and ipad. Unfortunately, there has bee clear hints from the developers that this type of server/client appproach is not planned. So, let's keep on dreaming for some solutoin to rule it all...

Our webserver can serve files perfectly, transcoding not so much atm but definatly on the roadmap.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:Our webserver can serve files perfectly, transcoding not so much atm but definatly on the roadmap.

The key thing for me would be the XBMC-like client (fanart, etc.). Nobody is anything close to this. Plus, transcoding would be a must to allow for the ipad to be fully supportive.

Not complaining and understand XBNMC's mission. Hope there will be some "bridge" soon though
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
My point is that fanart and streaming any file is all possible with the new webserver, the only thing missing is transcoding and it is planned so tablets and phones will be able to stream from XBMC.

There is nothing stopping doing a music or video player which is feed by XBMC given that the device is able to decode the content.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:My point is that fanart and streaming any file is all possible with the new webserver, the only thing missing is transcoding and it is planned so tablets and phones will be able to stream from XBMC.

There is nothing stopping doing a music or video player which is feed by XBMC given that the device is able to decode the content.

This sounds great. Can you elaborate more on the new webserver. I searched the forum and didn't find any hint about a new webserver being developed.
I've found plenty of tutorials on installing XBMC on Apple TV 1, but is an install for Apple TV 2 realistic because it runs on iOS? Is that anywhere in the near future, or should I sell it in favor of an apple TV 1?
VinnyTroia Wrote:I've found plenty of tutorials on installing XBMC on Apple TV 1, but is an install for Apple TV 2 realistic because it runs on iOS? Is that anywhere in the near future, or should I sell it in favor of an apple TV 1?

you should check PLEX a fork of XBMC optimized for apple devices...

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topi...ple-tv-2g/
VinnyTroia Wrote:I've found plenty of tutorials on installing XBMC on Apple TV 1, but is an install for Apple TV 2 realistic because it runs on iOS? Is that anywhere in the near future, or should I sell it in favor of an apple TV 1?

Think one of the Devs said that no one is interested in doing it... probably means it won't happen soon, if ever....

Jim
^tWiSt^ Wrote:you should check PLEX a fork of XBMC optimized for apple devices...

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topi...ple-tv-2g/

BAH, "XBMC optimized for apple devices", so what am I doing ?
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC to run on hacked second-gen Apple TV (AppleTV 2 with A4 ARM chip and iOS)?0