• 6(current)
Port XBMC to run on hacked second-gen Apple TV (AppleTV 2 with A4 ARM chip and iOS)?
There is a mediaplayer called buzzplayer available through AppStore already,
and supports playing a wide range of formats including divx and xvid over smb/upnp. Using it on my iphone and works like a charm, it does however cost 2 dollars.

I dont own an atv2 myself at the moment, still stuck with the old..
But if We can import and run cracked iOS software on it or if Apple opens
AppStore for atv this might be a bestseller.

Only issue would be, can it handle the resolution..
http://appshopper.com/utilities/buzz-player-hd
Hi! Davilla does this mean that, you are developing for iOS XBMC i mean porting the XBMC that in te future will be ATV 2 able to run XBMC?
No, he was pointing out that XBMC works great on more apple devices than Plex (which is a fork of XBMC specifically for OS X) does, which is primarily due to davilla's work.

This doesn't include the ATV2 (or iOS in general) - XBMC doesn't run on that, and nor do any of it's forks.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thumbs Up 
davilla Wrote:BAH, "XBMC optimized for apple devices", so what am I doing ?

I mean that PLEX is completely Apple oriented considering also Klexi client for iOS devices.

I own an atv1 and I can only express my gratitude for the hard work you have done with the broadcom card.

Replying to VinnyTroia at the moment the only working alpha/beta solution to try XBMC (or one of its forks) is the plex client.

At the same time I know Scott that you are working hard on something similar
I don't see XBMC coming to a AppleTV 2 near you, the demand isn't there anymore. The Boxee Box is much more powerful than the ATV2 and will run XBMC natively without too much fuss soon enough. Will support all kinds of 1080p and the hardware supports bitstreaming all DTS-MA with TrueHD coming soon.

The demand just isn't there anymore...
Philmatic Wrote:The demand just isn't there anymore...
Not convinced. The Boxee box is twice the price. Sure, it does more, but I find the minimalist appeal of the new ATV to be very compelling.
Plex is an old fork of XBMC, that only runs on OSX 10.5+. XBMC runs on 10.4+.

Plex is quite different now. The early versions were pretty similar to XBMC but "optimized" for Intel Macs. It has since had some pretty major architecture changes. They run a daemon type server on your mac that hosts the files to a Plex client running on the same Mac or on another box. The server will yank videos from online sites and transcode them into something the client can play. It also has an "App" architecture similar to boxee.

I've installed it and played with it, but I don't run nearly enough Macs to even give it a good test. Too limited for me. My media boxes run Ubuntu (one HAS win7 but it's not used much), my workstation runs ubuntu/win7, and my server runs ubuntu. The only Mac I have is a macbook.

I guess if you live in Apples little closed in world you might find it useful. I can't do it...
Ideally if someone ever got linux running on the ATV2 maybe a path like ATV1/linux could be followed.

Instead of porting to iOS the XBMC work done on linux/Arm could be used perhaps even dual booting between the two OS assuming that it was technically possible.
"the new webserver" Huh

Hmmmm - new webserver? have I been under a rock?
@davilla

Is that clap, clap to above comments or is it "Applause! I've made a progres with Xbmc on my ATV2?" Smile
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:@davilla

Is that clap, clap to above comments or is it "Applause! I've made a progres with Xbmc on my ATV2?" Smile

http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-for-atv2/ Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
Is there any plans for the new ATV, my first gen one has nearly gong totally tits and I want to know if its worth getting a new one as the are cheaper than old ones.

HD really not an issue for me.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86281
-stoli-
Well that was as clear as mud. I need to get a boxee box then, which is more expensive than an ATV1
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC to run on hacked second-gen Apple TV (AppleTV 2 with A4 ARM chip and iOS)?0