• 7(current)
Port XBMC to run on hacked second-gen Apple TV (AppleTV 2 with A4 ARM chip and iOS)?
good luck with that: http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=22313

That poor box has more problems than a Yugo.
-stoli-
I have read where some ARE saying you can run XBMC on the new little AppleTV but in the my search in the manual section is says it does not. Can anyone clear this up for me. I have been using on original Xbox for years and love.

XBMC for Mac on Apple TV

Question: Does this work for the newer, smaller black Apple TV devices?

o Answer: No. The newer devices are not based on intel/OSX, they are based on ARM/iOS, and they are only USB slaves not USB hosts.
Currently No, original ATV only.
Oh well. Thought i had found a solution.
Does it look like the new 2G verison will ever be able to be hacked? Or is the USB connection a permanent problem? Trying to decide whether or not to send it back for refund. The quality of movies I convert to MP4 is ok for a small iPhone but horrible to AirPlay back to a full size flat screen. The only thing of value to me personally would be the ability to read all the ISO files on my server like the Xbox XBMC does now, but in a small footprint box and ability to do the HD home movies.
daMouse Wrote:Does it look like the new 2G verison will ever be able to be hacked? Or is the USB connection a permanent problem? Trying to decide whether or not to send it back for refund. The quality of movies I convert to MP4 is ok for a small iPhone but horrible to AirPlay back to a full size flat screen. The only thing of value to me personally would be the ability to read all the ISO files on my server like the Xbox XBMC does now, but in a small footprint box and ability to do the HD home movies.

usb is device side only, it will never work for external storage.

you can convert MP4 bigger so that it would play better on ATV2
daMouse Wrote:The quality of movies I convert to MP4 is ok for a small iPhone but horrible to AirPlay back to a full size flat screen.

You're doing it wrong.
I have seen where they are jail breaking these but I though you would have to have the USB to do it or something. I read about the Plex but that apparently is Mac only. My server is linux based and I do everything from Windows.
daMouse Wrote:I have seen where they are jail breaking these but I though you would have to have the USB to do it or something. I read about the Plex but that apparently is Mac only. My server is linux based and I do everything from Windows.

there is USB on it but its device side only, its like a connector on iPhone/iPad
Just got a new AppleTv 2 for christmas and was wondering if there is any way to get XMBC onto it yet. I saw on the wiki page that there wasnt anything but I was hoping that's out of date and something has been developed.

TIA
Mark
No.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ht=AppleTV
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
I everyone, I was given a couple of Apple TV2 for christmasBig Grin as these have been on my wish-list since they were released. I have set up one in the lounge and had a play with all the features, and nice as it is, it just doesn't give me that wow factor i was hoping forSad. I have never hacked of jailbroken anything before, I have a couple of iphones, a macbook pro and now a couple of these ATV's.

I am also new to the idea of forums, so please bare with me if i am asking questions that have been answered before.Rolleyes

Firstly, i have been watching a few clips on youtube on how to jailbreak, so that seems easy enough, best one so far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM_VHaxuIIo

So this brings me to the questions:

Whats the best things about jail breaking ATV?

I have files of movies and tv shows i have downloaded, will these be playable over my wifi network (streaming from a file on a harddrive on the network, or will i have to connect an external HDD via mini usb? and which one is easier, i would prefer streaming over wifi, so that i only have to keep one folder organised over my network.

I would love to be able to stream tv shows, is there any apps that will let me watch shows from the USA? also A few days ago foxtel started advertising live streaming to xbox360 owners, will this mean that this feature will eventually be available as part of the XBMC program on ATV.

Im sure i will come up with lost of other questions, but these are the ones i am most curious about at the moment.
Hey everyone,

I have an HTPC I built and everything is working perfectly on it- about to update it to Dharma 10 with my sexy new SSD and am adding more RAM to it!

I got a new 2nd gen apple tv for Christmas and have it set up for home sharing with my itunes account but am wondering what to do with it now?

I haven't purchased any media through iTunes and a lot of my data I have ripped off my DVDs are saved as .mkv and are 720-1080p on my HTPC (1.5TBs worth of stuff)

My issue is for my AppleTV2 it only allows me to connect with my iTunes library and I'm wondering if there is a way to jailbreak it or load XBMC onto it to stream my media from my current HTPC build to my AppleTV2? If someone could help me out I would be extremely greatful! Have too many things going on right now to read through 1000 posts- any help would be awesome!

Thanks so much!
Cheers and happy new years!
its not possible and will probably take a long time before you see xbmc on it. Although there is a beta version of plex or a plex streaming solution for it. You can jailbreak it since its running iOS, but for now you cant do much with it yet.
Sell it and buy an ATV1? Laugh
Seriously, though, there's not much you can do with the ATV2 other than what Apple lets you. For the moment at least.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC to run on hacked second-gen Apple TV (AppleTV 2 with A4 ARM chip and iOS)?0