• 9(current)
Port XBMC to run on hacked second-gen Apple TV (AppleTV 2 with A4 ARM chip and iOS)?
I think buyers should be warned that because of Apple's limitations, the device only outputs in 720p. XBMC decodes 1080p and downscales it for the output. Hopefully there's going to be a device out there that will be able to do 1080p.
mprassel Wrote:Also, can someone test and see if you can plug in an external hard drive to the micro-usb port on the back?

you can plug it in but it aint going to work
check
Let's see if someone tries.. I'm really curious in knowing which quality and performance you get on this one.

Good work!
Ooh, so close to buying, but I've just bought a 1080p Samsung for the bedroom so only having 720p out rules me out of this one.

Congrats to the devs though. I know the limitation isn't your fault.
Wow. Great job, guys.
Couple of questions - this runs as an app on jailbroken iOS?
If I've zero interest in any other apple apps and want the device to boot straight into XBMC (much like my Xbox does!) then can this be done?
I use a Logitech Harmony remote with my AV setup - with one of these are you limited in XBMC on ATV to just the number of buttons on the Apple remote or can you use others? I'm thinking of the jump-back-5-seconds button I have on XBMC on Xbox etc.
I've been waiting for this day to come ever since I saw the Apple TV2...
Updated first post with info regarding Apple TV 2 on XBMC.
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
Yep boot straight to XBMC then I could be in!
RXP91 Wrote:How is the optical out working? Does it bitstream over HDMI too?

I am wondering about audio too. Is audio out over HDMI only or is the optical out working? I am very intrigued at getting a one of these to play my Flac collection over optical, as my AVR does not have hdmi.

Man, this is exciting though. Hundred bucks US for an XMBC box that is ultra small form factor and super energy efficient. ION boxes are in trouble.
Can anyone answer these questions for me? It would be very appreciated. I put xbmc on my (2) original xboxes years ago, but haven't messed with any of it since then. Now a friend is asking me to jailbreak his apple tv 2 and install xbmc. I'm researching to see if I know enough to do this.
1a) Since the only atv2 jailbreak is a tethered jailbreak, it probably would not make a good portable media player, right? Because it would have to be hooked up to a computer each time it's turned on, right?
1b) What program is the jailbroken atv2 looking for when it is hooked up to a computer?
2) Do you lose any xbmc functionality when it is run on an atv2? I know about the 720 limitations, but other than that can you still customize skins and such?
3) Biggest question: After you jailbreak the atv2, you are supposed to "log in as root" how do you do this? Even just typing it I can tell that is probably the most noob question ever, but I'm not sure how.
4) Last and probably least: I know the usb port on the back of the atv2 is a device side port and as such is no good for external hard drives, but when I google RJ45 to usb adaptors several come up. Could I use one of these to use my external hard drive through the ethernet port?

Thanks again,

-scott
hi_its_me_scott Wrote:Can anyone answer these questions for me? It would be very appreciated.

First off, it's worth mentioning that this isn't the best place to be asking these questions, but as this is your first (and so far only) post I think we can chalk this one up to experience :p For future reference this forum is a better place to post your XBMC on iOS related questions (the iOS help forum)

Anyway, the questions...
Quote:1a) Since the only atv2 jailbreak is a tethered jailbreak, it probably would not make a good portable media player, right? Because it would have to be hooked up to a computer each time it's turned on, right?
1b) What program is the jailbroken atv2 looking for when it is hooked up to a computer?

1a) Yes, you'd have to have the ATV connected to the computer when it's turned on. If you're going to leave it connected to the power (as it would be in most cases) then this isn't something you'd have to worry about because it never switches off, it just goes into standby. I don't understand why you'd want to use ATV as a "portable media player"; it doesn't make sense. If you mean using XBMC on iPad, or iPhone, then the tethered jailbreak still isn't ideal, but as long as you keep it charged then it's not a problem.
1b) don't understand exactly what you mean. You'll need to have a program like Seas0n Pass running to do a tethered boot.
Info on jailbreak for iOS 4.2.1, iOS 4.1, and a thread on jailbreaking from windows

Quote:2) Do you lose any xbmc functionality when it is run on an atv2? I know about the 720 limitations, but other than that can you still customize skins and such?

You can find the current limitations of XBMC on iOS in this thread

Quote:3) Biggest question: After you jailbreak the atv2, you are supposed to "log in as root" how do you do this? Even just typing it I can tell that is probably the most noob question ever, but I'm not sure how.

Try following this guide on the XBMC wiki, or this one on Lifehacker. Hopefully that'll explain it for you

Quote:4) Last and probably least: I know the usb port on the back of the atv2 is a device side port and as such is no good for external hard drives, but when I google RJ45 to usb adaptors several come up. Could I use one of these to use my external hard drive through the ethernet port?

I don't honestly know the answer to this, but I think it's unlikely to work.

Keep at it!
If you want to discuss any of this any further you should probably start a discussion on the iOS help forum (linked to above)
I was getting oh so excited! Until I saw this.

Hardware decoding is for h264 only. As a result, 720p XviD, WMV and other HD encodings stutter. Standard definition should work fine. (thanks nmat)

I'm keeping my Xbox's AND my old Apple TV. XviD stutters...seriously ?!?!?! Apple TV Gen 2 is an insult to all those good people who work and deliver XBMC. One can pick up used old Apple TV for less than the $99.

Thank you for all the hard work guys. Maybe Apple TV Gen 3 will have some more juice on it.
procrastinator,

Thanks for your help and for overlooking my poor decision on which thread to comment on. I really appreciate it.

-scott
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC to run on hacked second-gen Apple TV (AppleTV 2 with A4 ARM chip and iOS)?0