Xbox with XBMC vs. dedicated CD/DVD/XviD/DivX-players?
hi
i'm what you call an audiophile, standing joke; listens more to equipment then music...

i would say the xbmc cdplayer is inferior to the built-in one that comes with the xboxdash. xbmc seams to lack certain filters to make the sound warmer, and filters that do not give you a big separation between base and the mid and upper registry. and stereo output isn't really well balanced, when there are different sounds, from the cd that is being played, in the back and front of the speaker and left and right, xbmc just doesn't keep up..
seeing as the built in ms-dash does hardware upsampling (and does it particularly bad) i would guess they would sound different.

put hq resampling on in xbmc.

the signal is pure digital all the way through - can't say anything else about it really.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but just out of curiosity: what does hq resampling actually do?

recently purchased a dd/dts home stereo receiver, and ever since i've been using the digital out i've been wondering what makes hq resampling produce higher quality? i remember reading some threads at the time it was introduced, but didn't have an intrest at that time...

-munde
"hq" resampling uses a software routine known as *ssrc* instead of the hardware resampling of xbox. why it's called "hq" is since ssrc manages the *udial* sample.

google stuff within * * to get more info
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

done some googling, and soon found myself reading hydrogenaudio forums (again)...

after some (ok, a lot) of reading i now have a pretty good picture about what hq res is about. even ended up testing the udial sample. which, as u said pike, plays perfectly. no clipping, alien sounds etc. the same sample sounded like shit on my computer :thumbsup:

it's a comforting to know that there apparently are some audiophiles among the developers :lol:

ps: pike, thanks for the hints to the right direction Smile

-munde
ive got a kiss dp1000 player but tbh im a little dissapointed with the current state of hardware xvid .... it seems to run jerky unless i'm prepared to spend huge amounts of time recoding the files with all sorts of exotic utilities.

if something plays properly on my pc i expect a dedicated player to be able to handle it but seems the current generation xvid chipsets have marginal horse power. would i have any more luck with an xbox media center since i imagine it hase vastly more horse power than these cheap dedicated players ?.

paul.
if you can justify the price do it and ebay the hardware player.
around this time of year, you should be able to find an xbox and pickup the appropriate hardware for well under $200...if you want to watch xvid i simply can't imagine anything much better than an xbox.

i'm ripping all my dvds to ~2gb xvids and then the xbox upscales them to hd res and it looks tremendous on my 56" hdtv.

(sticky @ dec. 14 2004,18:34 Wrote:around this time of year, you should be able to find an xbox and pickup the appropriate hardware for well under $200...if you want to watch xvid i simply can't imagine anything much better than an xbox.

i'm ripping all my dvds to ~2gb xvids and then the xbox upscales them to hd res and it looks tremendous on my 56" hdtv.

agreed,
an xbox loaded with xbmc is fare better to any current generation standalone xvid player available. i highly recommend it for any type of video playback including xvid, divx, and any other supported codec. the options and flexibility of the xbox and xbmc far surpass’ any current generation of hardware decoding. to say the least, the xbox and xbmc is your perfect set top box media center. i have thrown many different video files at xbmc and have never come across a video file (encoded with a compatible video codec) that it couldn’t play. anyways, like sticky said, there is no other set top equipment out there that can decode video better then an xbox loaded with xbmc. anyways, if you already have an xbox, the only thing that you would need is a modchip compatible with your version (good ones run about $60-$70 dollars). however if you are starting from scratch you can probably get everything you need to get started for ~$200 dollars (usd).

signed,
slice

p.s. if you need a recommendation for a modchip, i would recommend the x-chip. it is basically impossible to fuck up because the chips comes equipped with a usb flashing adaptor. i have heard good things about the new xecuter3 though as well.
well i just got my new xbox yesterday, put xbmc straight onto it as the default dash and well... my kiss dp450 is going to gather a lot of dust.

the video player in xbmc is far, far superior to the dp450. no more skipping , stuttering xvid's, no more waiting for a minute to search an hour into the file, if the audio is out of sync due to a bad encode then it can be fine-tuned.

i'm very very impressed. i had both the dp450 and a hauppauge mvp box. both of which are now totally redundant in the face of the xbmc.

i've just got to quieten the bloody xbox down now!
why do people keep recommending modchips when softmods are so easy, and cheap?

these softmod packages like idot's ltools are foolproof and work on every xbox.

my box is softmodded and everything works perfectly.

the second you mention a mod-chip, people will shy away, thinking opening the xbox and soddering wires is just not worth it.
(jonny_eh @ dec. 17 2004,15:36 Wrote:why do people keep recommending modchips when softmods are so easy, and cheap?

these softmod packages like idot's ltools are foolproof and work on every xbox.

my box is softmodded and everything works perfectly.

the second you mention a mod-chip, people will shy away, thinking opening the xbox and soddering wires is just not worth it.
you do have a valid point there. but people thinking about getting an xbox are such newbies that the hassle of hotswapping/save-game exploiting is probably equally unappealing...

for a newbie, i'd still recomend to pay the few extra $$$ to get a chip installed by a pro. it's only a one-time investment, and is worth the money. easy, hassle-free and long-lasting solution.

-munde

ps: no, there's no better standalone device than an xbox+xbmc. thanks all you devs :thumbsup:
xbmc plays pretty much every video file great! an xbox is amazing when you compare it to a divx player. oh, and it can play xbox games! and not to mention all the other programs/emulators that it has.
:kickass:
among the many other advantages of using the xbox over hardware mpeg4 players, is that only very recently has any other hardware started supporting hd resolution xvid encodes.

i think it's pretty amazing that the xbox can handle decoding for 1280x720 (720p hd) resolutions.

i know hd isn't mainstream yet, but by the amazing support offered by xbmc, you'd think it was Smile
i fought for a year to set up a computer to be my multimedia station. the hardest thing was the audio, even though i had the appropriate audio card, i couldn't get dd to my stereo.

hook up the xbox, and not only do i get dd i also get component output...beautiful and easy (for me, not the programmers Wink)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox with XBMC vs. dedicated CD/DVD/XviD/DivX-players?0