Image selection
ok guys, i finally got my feet wet with some of my own scripting. and i was wondering if there was any wayt to select images. i want to write a script that usees the flickr api to get users' photos from online and display them. my plan was to display it like a gallery, and allow users to navigate through these images to choose what they want, then to select the image and have it full screen. am i going to have to download all the images and display them with a list? or can i use an image control to select.

sorry if i'm not coherent, been up all night messing with this stuff. thanks for the help.
i had the same problem trying to select labels. the only things that allow navigation though are the listcontrol and button (pretty much).
what i ended up doing is creating a blank button behind my stuff and associating the control with it. its a hack but it works.
you could layout a set of button controls. each button control has a separate texture for non-focus and focus, so you could do it that way. you'd have to worry about the navigation etc. with this method though.

otherwise, doing it using a listcontrol or thumbpanel should also be possible - i haven't played with it in python though.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

using a list control, woudl require all of the images to be on the xbox though, right. so i'd have to have a tmp dir and download allthe image for the user, and then display them. correct?

i was hoping to get away from that... but it may be the only way. i'd love to see the image control extended to allow actions, be it in the xbmcgui python lib or in xbmc itself.

i also wanted to create a sort of online spotlight section, that would have really nicely produced logos for launch, ifilm, apple and so on. it woudl have broken the scripts out into their own page, like an online extras section. these scripts are too good to keep bottled up in a submenu. they deserve to have their own section for launching. xp mce does this with some extra content, its pretty cool. it'd be neat to see xbmc really showing off what it is capable of by highlighting these plugins.
exactly what are you trying to do?

surely if you want the user to choose between images, then the images must be displayable (and thus downloaded)??

as i said, you can make an image selectable by making it a button with the image as it's texture.

and, a separate page with a bunch of scripts linked off it is simple enough just using the skin system. there's a thread on here by pin87a with a custom screen made up for displaying all the different dialog types - just model it on that.

cheers,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

hmmm ok, thanks for the insight.

yah, i started out trying to use the skin system, and thought i hit the wall with the image thing, just to find out the same wall existed with xbmcgui in python.

thanks for knocking the wall down, i'll check it out tonight!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Image selection0