Where do you get your media from?
Question 
Hi there,

I'm quite intrigued to know where all you people around here get your media content from: music, films, tv shows, etc and how legal that media is where you live: for example, if I'm not mistaken, ripping dvds is ilegal in the USA even when you own the original. EDIT: Please don't post any torrent links nor torrent websites names or anything like that. Thanks

I'll start: I download all of my media from the net, except for some originals I own (both music and / or dvd video).

In Spain, downloading music, films and tv shows from the internet is not considered ilegal if it's for personal and non comercial use.

What about you?
if I see as much as a hint of a name of some known torrent sites I am closing this.
We have the same situation inside switzerland.
Any kind of download is allowed for personal usage only. Any upload to the puplic
with a p2p system (torrend / emule) is not alllowed. For donwloads only I use a special google search engine .... with very good results ...;-)
Also in Spain we pay a tax on any digital media we buy (canon digital según orden ministerial PRE/1743/2008). So when I buy a memory stick or a hard drive it includes this tax. Its like a digital media rights tax. So you pay some compensation for the copying of potentially copy righted material.
I think its an excellent idea and prices for hard drive are still cheap.
If you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem.
Wal-Mart! $5 DVD's! The Best!
I was nerdy, when nerdy wasn't cool! :p

I second Wal Mart. Often they have new Blu Rays $20 on opening day.

A new bluray for $20 ? sound's good to me ;-)
Inside switzerland most new blurays are about $40
I own only a few blurays and a big huge dvd collection including digital tv with 200 channels
I get a good deal of BR off of eBay at an affordable price! Some of good deals can be found!
I was nerdy, when nerdy wasn't cool! :p

so, you buy the dvds and the rip them? or do you play them directly?
in germany nearly everything related to "download" is forbidden.
according to a brandnew copyright law...
the main passage (i hope the translation isn't that wrong):
"any media, which seems to be from an illegal source"

we don't have a "three strikes"-law like in france(?).

my media comes mainly out of the use-net.
the servers are in the netherlands. according to the law, the netherlands are "too far away".
everything as fast as possible and ssh-encrypted. at least it "feels" quite safe.

i only have 2mbit @ home, so my account is a flatrate with only 2mbit.
about 2,20 euros per month. paypal.

---
and about germany legal TV:
in germany you have to pay about 53 euros every 3 month, just for having a tv and a radio! (no matter, if you are living in a forrest and have no tv reception)
it is called "GEZ".
damn. the GEZ is so mad. i do not watch TV, just tv-shows and movies (from my usenetaccount). and still i have to pay them.
http://www.xbmcnerds.com - german xbmc community
For video, I buy DVDs and Blu-rays that I rip then encode myself. For music, I rip all of my CDs and at the beginning of this year I moved to using legal music download purchasing services - mainly Amazon, Play and 7digital (although I occasionally still buy CDs as some things aren't available through download). I take a very anti-piracy approach so everything in my collection has been legally purchased.
zavvi the website for the win in the UK (i know the shops are closed but website works Big Grin).

Nice and cheap and always have an offer on for games, dvd and bluray Big Grin
Samsung LE46C750 46" 3D, denon 1909 7.1 av,
Xtreamer Ultra 2 Delux,
3 x Dlink DNS-323 = 12TB = 4500+ Movies and 16000+ TV epps
I have a data source on a server connected to 1gbit internet connection. Several TB Content (HD only) from various sources.

If anyone is interested in using it, i have capacity enough (EU only because of connectionspeed needed)
I get mine from the rental shop.

New release for $3 on Wednesday. Hire them and rip them for viewing later on. I dont typically keep them as I dont re-watch a lot of movies

Mick
I use Usenet mostly, torrents for other stuff. Even for things I've purchased I always download a ripped copy because it's so much easier than re-encoding it myself and way better quality than I could achieve.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Where do you get your media from?0