Good value AV Receiver?
mlbblitz Wrote:denon and onkyo, dedicated audio manufacturers

Yamaha, build bikes and boat motors i couldn't buy one based on that sorry. But i love their bikes.... sorry to offend anyone

I dont know where you got this information, but Yamaha used to make some of the best audio equipment available. Nowadays their focus might be more on other stuff, but my father's 20 year old receiver is still a lot better then those cheap denon and onkyo receivers Smile
Yep I have a Yamaha... coupled with Mordant Short Speakers... feed from my Xbox gives a lovely sound and more than enough power to really upset the neighbors! reliability wise it hasn't skipped a beat in 3 years.

Kenwood make tosters, Panasonic make telephones, Honda make robots - a companies diversity has nothing to do with the quality of their products.
Ive been thinking of buying one of the new Marantz receivers. Marantz introduced two new 'slimline' receivers earlier this year, which both qualify for the 'cheap receivers' category.

The Marantz NR1601 compares to the Denon 1911 and it also has a cheaper brother, the NR1501.
I bought the Denon AVR-1611 last weekend, and it sounds really great. It's a whole new experience of watching movies and listening to music!

Maybe worth noting that I went from a puny Logitech gaming 5.1 setup to this receiver and a Dali 5.1 setup. The improvement is amazing.
Finally, I got hold of a Denon AVR-1911 as there was a huge price drop recently, and the AVR-1611 was getting tricky to get hold of at a reasonable price.

So far, the AVR-1911 seems great. Audyssey setup was fairly easy and the sound quality seems very good, even going through relatively 'lightweight' Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1 speakers and sub-woofer.

When I get my next AV receiver, I expect I'll be looking for additional video upscaling, but this capability is not required at the moment.
froggit Wrote:Finally, I got hold of a Denon AVR-1911 as there was a huge price drop recently, and the AVR-1611 was getting tricky to get hold of at a reasonable price.

So far, the AVR-1911 seems great. Audyssey setup was fairly easy and the sound quality seems very good, even going through relatively 'lightweight' Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1 speakers and sub-woofer.

When I get my next AV receiver, I expect I'll be looking for additional video upscaling, but this capability is not required at the moment.

Your TV probably does just as good upscaling job as a receiver, at least as any sub $4000 receiver
And video scaling in receivers/TVS is moot with XBMC really anyway as XBMC does it's scaling internally and only passes one signal resolution to the receiver - 1920 by 1080 usually.

I guess if you still use a DVD player or games console it might still have some relevance.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Personally, I do not have a single brand preference. I recommend sticking with one of the following:

1. Onkyo
  2. Yamaha
  3. Denon
  4. Pioneer

I personally have a Yamaha 667. My roommate had the Onkyo 608. I like both... I really like my Yamaha because it is 3D capable and it also has a nice set of features for my needs.

Do not buy an AVR based on recommendations alone because everyone has different needs! And it is always good to keep your options open for the future and get something a little more powerful than you think you need.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Good value AV Receiver?0