• 6(current)
[MOD] Launcher Panels Views [WIP]
Hi, so I took the plunge and upgraded to Alaska revisited (It wasn't hard at all), but I wonder if you could help please, because when I tap left I get "viewtype Files" as the only option,if I press up or down it goes back to the ROM list, and if I press left or right, nothing happens?

All I did was replace Viewtype_Panel.xml with your version, and added the string to strings.xml, do I need to do something else to enable the new view types please?
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
cable_guy Wrote:Hi, so I took the plunge and upgraded to Alaska revisited (It wasn't hard at all), but I wonder if you could help please, because when I tap left I get "viewtype Files" as the only option,if I press up or down it goes back to the ROM list, and if I press left or right, nothing happens?

All I did was replace Viewtype_Panel.xml with your version, and added the string to strings.xml, do I need to do something else to enable the new view types please?

When you see "viewtype", you just have to press any action button to switch between panel views.
Angelscry Wrote:When you see "viewtype", you just have to press any action button to switch between panel views.

that's what I've been doing, trying the confirm button on the XBMC remote, and up and down and nothing changes, I only seem to have the "Files" option. I've now added the panel square into the strings.xml as well as per your first post, and double checked that I've modified my Viewtype_Panel.xml properly, which I seem to have. :confused2:

EDIT - Oh cripes! Ignore me man, I carefully re-read the thread and only just realised I was missing this big chuffing part of it out!

After reading your OP I thought all I had to do was those first few steps for the whole mod!
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
cable_guy Wrote:that's what I've been doing, trying the confirm button on the XBMC remote, and up and down and nothing changes, I only seem to have the "Files" option. I've now added the panel square into the strings.xml as well as per your first post, and double checked that I've modified my Viewtype_Panel.xml properly, which I seem to have. :confused2:

EDIT - Oh cripes! Ignore me man, I carefully re-read the thread and only just realised I was missing this big chuffing part of it out!

After reading your OP I thought all I had to do was those first few steps for the whole mod!
If you have the last version of Alaska.Revisited (1.7.9), you must use this tutorial. The one you indicate in your last port is for version of Alaska.Revisted under 1.7.4
Angelscry Wrote:Yes, I may be interested. Actually, there is not really complete game databases over the web containing all the necessary information (genre, year, plot, cover, screenshot, fanarts, etc...). The most complete database only for game information is allgame.com...

Yeah, our goal is to effectively be the TMDb of video games. A free and legal community run site just like TMDb or TVDB... (which is good because scraping sites like AllGames, IMDB etc is technically illegal or at best violates their TOS, excluding factual data which is fair use). We are aiming for good quality artwork as well on our side and as much peripheral game data as possible (fanart, screenshots, gameplay videos, reviews etc etc), so with some good luck and community support we can be that 'go-to' resource for everything you need.

Quote:By reading the discussion thread on MacScene website I have noticed that Niemann said "we do not include current generation games". Does this mean that most of the PC games will not be archived? You database is only limited to old roms games?

It wont be limited to 'old games'. However, we have had to take some decisions early on in order to cut the workload while also providing the most useful set of data that the community uses. Right now, there would be more usage of old classic game data than the newer stuff... so we are building out the database for that. Current Gen stuff and other sytems/consoles will come and rolled out as the site matures. (It would be silly to limit it to 'old stuff' only).

Quote:Actually I'm working into the integration of images scrapper (thumbs/covers and screenshot/fanarts) into my addon. When this part will be finished and well controlled I have planned to add 2 options to let the user select the source of the scrapping information and images. At this time I will surely take a closer look at your project. Thank you for the information.

Sure, feel free to get in touch. We will probably approach more app authors etc when the time is right and get them playing with the API and in turn the site so... more the merrier and we can up the quality of things based on feedback.
As Angelscry already mentioned, there are two similar projects that started some months ago: http://thegamesdb.net and http://thevideogamedb.com. Both are initiated by users here in the forum (jas8340 and ghostelement). First one also has a thread here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=75344. Maybe it would be helpful for you to get in contact with each other.

Quote:Sure, feel free to get in touch. We will probably approach more app authors etc when the time is right and get them playing with the API and in turn the site so... more the merrier and we can up the quality of things based on feedback.
SubscribedSmile. Please let me know if you need more testers.
Mucx Wrote:Yeah, our goal is to effectively be the TMDb of video games. A free and legal community run site just like TMDb or TVDB... (which is good because scraping sites like AllGames, IMDB etc is technically illegal or at best violates their TOS, excluding factual data which is fair use). We are aiming for good quality artwork as well on our side and as much peripheral game data as possible (fanart, screenshots, gameplay videos, reviews etc etc), so with some good luck and community support we can be that 'go-to' resource for everything you need.

There is also several community websites like http://www.mobygames.com or http://www.giantbomb.com where everyone can freely subscribe and complete their game database by contributing. I don't really understand want your team want to reinvent games database concept that already exist, and do not contribute to those which already exist. You divide the potential contributors strength by acting like this.
Angelscry Wrote:There is also several community websites like http://www.mobygames.com or http://www.giantbomb.com where everyone can freely subscribe and complete their game database by contributing. I don't really understand want your team want to reinvent games database concept that already exist, and do not contribute to those which already exist. You divide the potential contributors strength by acting like this.

Having spent time talking to various website video game database people in an extended discourse, I could list a lot of reasons why, what they are and aren't willing to do, but it seems you are keen on what is already out there, which is cool ...for us though, not so much. It is like asking why people don't all just use the one kind of mobile phone.
Mucx Wrote:Having spent time talking to various website video game database people in an extended discourse, I could list a lot of reasons why, what they are and aren't willing to do, but it seems you are keen on what is already out there, which is cool ...for us though, not so much.
Sorry to seem rude, but, sincerely, actually, your games database is not even available and still at the concept step. Maybe you will have more success to regroup people (like me) around your project when you will have something more concrete to show. A lot of games databases already exist and people (like me) uses resources that exist.

Mucx Wrote:It is like asking why people don't all just use the one kind of mobile phone.
No, the real question is : "Why all phone companies don't just sell one kind of mobile phone?" Rolleyes
Angelscry Wrote:Sorry to seem rude....A lot of games databases already exist and people (like me) uses resources that exist.

Baring some tweaks, the Database is setup, API is ready, frontend coming... for all intents and purposes it is up to you if you want to get in touch and start using it.

Apologies if hoping to reach out to a few select app authors/people at this stage, working on making their stuff better as well as our own in the hopes everything is golden on day one of the release is not the way to go. I'll stop back in, in the new year when everything is complete and more 'real' for you.
Also all my apologies. I will seriously take a look at your project when it will be complete.
@Angelscry : any chance you could put your landscape PNG icons in a zip on your website to download ? I can never find a decent SNES png that I like and yours looks nice !
ASRock 330HT, XBMC Eden

smithr99 Wrote:@Angelscry : any chance you could put your landscape PNG icons in a zip on your website to download ? I can never find a decent SNES png that I like and yours looks nice !

The SNES console icon? You mean this one?
Hi Angelscry.

I love your MOD to Alaska and the updated Launcher script, thanks for your work!

Unfortunately, I don't know if you have noticed/it has already been mentioned, your mod to the Panel Viewtypes has an adverse affect on the Music Wall View.

Any chance that this could be rectified or is this an unavoidable side effect?
smithr99 Wrote:@Angelscry : any chance you could put your landscape PNG icons in a zip on your website to download ? I can never find a decent SNES png that I like and yours looks nice !
Here is the file : launcher_icons.rar
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MOD] Launcher Panels Views [WIP]1