[Live] I'm New - Will not boot.
Hi Guys, i downloaded the Live .iso (9.11) and burned it to disk.
i ran it once live. and it was so slow because im using a 2.2Ghz Celron with on-board graphics.

so i shut the PC down. and installed the 64MB graphics card i removed earlier for compatibilities sake, and installed to my HDD. however, when XBMC loads. it asks for Username and Password. which i enter corectly, and it just throws me into the ubuntu equivalent of CMD. (im a windows man) why doesn't my XBMC boot? do i need to enter something else, and shouldnt it boot right away?

i know my PC is on the verge of being capable of running XBMC, i was just testing it out, until i have enough $$$ for an actual HTPC.

Help? Thanks.
XBMCLive isn't recognising your video card. Try the beta 2 from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/live/

JR
Question 
This could be for a number of reasons. Try to manually invoke XBMC by typing in this at the bash prompt.

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc-live restart

If that code fails then perhaps you should attempt to kill any XBMC live process by typing this in at the bash prompt:

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc-live stop
sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc-live start

If that fails you can also try to invoke XBMC by typing this in at the bash prompt:

Code:
exec xbmc --standalone

If that fails to work fetch your error log and post it in here. Perhaps I can take a gander at it for you. Are you using a serial ATA drive by chance? PS: What type of video card did you throw in there? I had no problems getting the Camelot release running on a very antiquated ATI Rage Pro 128 w/16MB of OB memory (albeit it was slower than anything.)

A detailed listing of currently supported hardware maybe obtained by: Clicking Here.
I was nerdy, when nerdy wasn't cool! :p

Thanks firefoxtamer

each code you sugested just gave me some text stating;

Quote:since the script you are trying to evoke has been converted to an Upstart job, you may also use the start(8) utility, eg. start xbmc-live
xbmc-live start/running, process 1670

but still i was stranded in what is the bash prompt?

"stop" was also uneventful telling me "xbmc-live stop/waiting"
Try the startx command and see if X starts up. If it does, right click the background and there is an XBMC link somewhere near the bottom of the popup menu.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Live] I'm New - Will not boot.0