• 1(current)
I want a "My TV" section (with a separate database)
i posted this topic in the x-s forums and its gotten a lot of debate, it was sugggested by jmarshall to post here to get even more feed back. here is my original post, i suggest you read the thread over there before replying, so that we could extend the conversation rather than relive it.

can't wait for your input!

i know this has come up before, but before we all break out into hysterics, read my arguments over at the xbmc news blog.

is it time for a my tv section in xbmc?

let me know what you guys think. i think its finally time, this is totally valid, we need to seperate our tv content from our movie content, and this would totally spurn tv centric features to xbmc.

i hate my tivo now, and with all the talk about whats comeing from them, its really getting ugly. i want good quality content and am sick of their mpeg2 encoder.

let the fun begin!

Sad 
my opinion on seven5's idea: no, not until xbmc have native code that handles front-end/client of a pc pvr application (ex mediaportal).
i think that what seven5 is asked for here has nothing to do with xbmc's native functions, ...and can be skinned/scripted as is anyway;
eg you can already add a bytton to a skin and map it to a python script which is what you should do if you use ex dbox or mythtv script.

if you also/instead like a online-tv/video section under my videos or music then simple add a xboxmediacenter.xml bookmark for it like so:
Quote: <!-- my music shares !-->
<music>
<bookmark>
<name>internet audio streams</name>
<path>f:\media\internet audio streams\</path>
</bookmark>
<bookmark>
<name>radio-online (or whatever you like it to say)</name>
<path>e:\media\internet-radio\</path>
</bookmark>
</music>

<!-- my video shares !-->
<video>
<bookmark>
<name>internet video streams</name>
<path>e:\media\internet video streams\</path>
</bookmark>
<bookmark>
<name>tv-online (or whatever you like it to say)</name>
<path>e:\media\internet-tv\</path>
</bookmark>
</video>
don't get me wrong, i think a my tv section should be added, but again not until xbmc native client support for mp, mythtv or btv etc. :hmm:
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i totally understand what you mean about being able to talk to a pvr solution, hopefully that is a goal of mediaportal. i still think that the sheer amount of content that xbmc users have warrants a new section devoted to television episodes. it is a different type of medium, and is browsed in different ways than movies are. sure, if we had one or two shows, it wouldn't matter, but with full seasons being available and rss autonomy getting popular, i think its something that needs to be pondered. i also think that tv centric features may be stifled while keeping them all in one section called videos. by breaking it out, you would be surprised by what might come out of it.

its almost 2005, pvr's are a normal thing, but not the only thing. by using rss and bittorrent, i can get my shows with the same ease. and the quality looks much better, i'd rather do it this way and keep everything digital. we don't need a pvr solution to have a reason to break out tv into its own section.
i agree that a tv section does not depend on a pvr solution being available.

i guess the key is that tv shows (no matter how they are obtained) are inherently a different animal than movies - generally there are episodes as part of a season and so on. also, the imdb functions are pretty much meaningless for tv shows at the moment. (just do a scan on a folder full of episodes to see what i mean - yuck!Wink

i have a couple of ideas of how we can better present/organize tv episode content. first of all, we can use online sources (such as http://www.tvtome.com) to get information about episode similar to how imdb is done. this information would automatically allow us to view episodes by season/show etc. this ofcourse would not apply to movies, so a different view system (or sub system of the current one) seems to make sense for me.

the interesting thing for me is utilizing the data available on the web (and thus available to us within xbmc) to order and organize the media on our networks. i am interested in what different view modes etc. people would find useful. hopefully this thread can be used to that end, rather than going down the (much trodden) pvr route.

let's assume we have the episodes/movies/whatever available somewhere on the network. how should they be presented to the user?

cheers,
jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

yes, i've been anticipating a change in views for a while now. i think it would benefit the project if something radical and innovtive were created for presenting users' media. apple's column view approach is great, but i don't think it would translate well to a remote. i'm going to do some brainstorming with some friends tonight and see what can come out of the think tank Wink

-jon
Exclamation 
my 2 cents is again that a tv section should be added when a pvr/live-tv client is available, but tvtome be very nice under my vidoes.

mockup of how i have for my videos:
Quote:xboxmediacenter.xml

<!-- my video shares !-->
 <video>
   <default></default>
   <bookmark>
     <name>dvd-rom drive</name>
     <path>d:\</path>
   </bookmark>
   <bookmark>
     <name>hard disk drive</name>
     <path>f:\media\video\</path>
   </bookmark>
 </video>

actual 'f:\media\video\' file-structure

\funny clips\
\movies\
\movie-trailers\
\music-videos\
\tv-series\
\tv-series\24\
\tv-series\24\season1\
\tv-series\24\season*\
\tv-series\alias\
\tv-series\alias\season1\
\tv-series\alias\season*\
\tv-series\csi las vegas\
\tv-series\csi las vegas\season1\
\tv-series\csi las vegas\season*\
\tv-series\dead like me\
\tv-series\dead like me\season1\
\tv-series\dead like me\season*\
\tv-series\las vegas\
\tv-series\las vegas\season1\
\tv-series\las vegas\season*\
\tv-series\spooks\
\tv-series\spooks\season1\
\tv-series\spooks\season*\
ps! though mynci is working on a tv-guide (like xbmp) and that might fit better under a "my tv" sections than in root meny? Huh
yah, tv guide would be odd at the root. but at the same time, its odd if you can't do anything with that information, which will be nice when/if there is a frontend for mp. personally, i'm done with mpeg2 encoding of live tv, it looks terrible in my opinion. i'm sick of my tivo, and i'm sick of all the ads.

regarding your video filesystem structure, i'm pretty sure thats what everyone is doing. me, i have a media server my xboxs connect to though, so all the content is centralized, and i have a tv share and a movie share. then the content is organzized within those. i have a tv drive and a movies drive, so since windows does a terrible job and can't relaly make a symlink, i have to have 2 shares. so i'm basically one level higher than you, which takes 4-5 clicks to get to my content, if we can get rid of one of those, it would be great.
it would be nice if one could mark certain folders as music videos or tv series.
tv series infos could then be get from: http://www.tvtome.com/

i simply think that these video types need better handling. if i scan my videos folder (on pc hd) and my tv series get scanned the imdb lookup usually will return useless stuff and hence makes it necessary to browse through videos in the file view most of the time. same for mvids.

would be cool if this could be solved somehow.

thx
i agree with both gamester and jmarshall.

i think if there is going to be a my tv section added it should indeed be able to access livetv. if i am not mistaken what forza is working on (upnp) should make a complete interface with mediaportal possible. i think if there is an interface done with a pc application that it should be very easily configured (mediaportal is easy to setup, but still needs to mature a bit more). the general consensus seems to have been that xbmc should not be bloated, i feel that if something like this is not extremely newbie friendly it would not really be useful and in my opinion would become bloatware. (i expect someone to hit on the linksboks integration regarding bloat, lol).

along with what jmarshall suggested, under a my tv section your tv media could be added to this section so you could perform a tvtome lookup on different episodes and such.

regarding mynci's work on a tv-guide, it would be great if it could be done mythtv style using zap2it from datadirect. it is extremely easy to setup tv-guide in mythtv and would be very versatile for people to be as accurate as possible.

i am not sure of any really good torrent sites to grab tv content from, but it would also be cool if it were possible to browse through a tv torrent site similar to how you can browse shoutcast from my music. i know it would also require a bit torrent client be ported to xbmc or used on a pc to work, but then you could select and episode to start downloading. doubt something like this would be likely to happen for legal reasons, but it would seem to me it shouldn't matter since xbmc is technically just source. :p

just my .02
i have all my movies setup and workng under my videos, but i'm not sure what to do with my tv shows.  i don't want them mixed in with my movies because i currently have 100+ episodes each of seinfeld, cheers, and south park and i really don't want to have to wade through all of those when i'm looking for a movie.  i would much prefer them to be seperated.

i would think that most people who have a decent size video collection would likely have both movies and tv series.  so how do you guys handle this?  is there a way to create a seperate screen/database for tv shows?
rock,
i've requested this several times but it has not received a warm response. here's my work-around...

i use the activewindow calls to directly send the window to the specified video section (defined in xboxmediacenter.xml )

i use the buttonscroller so the code is using that but you can use the regular buttons... you'll get the idea.

inside xboxmediacenter.xml :
Quote: <video>
<bookmark>
<name>movies</name>
<path>f:/movies</path>
</bookmark>
<bookmark>
<name>tv shows</name>
<path>smb://office/tv</path>
</bookmark>
</video>

<homebuttons>
<button>
<description>movies</description>
<label>movies</label>
<execute>xbmc.activatewindow(25)</execute>
<icon>104</icon>
</button>
<button>
<description>tv shows</description>
<label>tv shows</label>
<execute>xbmc.activatewindow(6,tv shows)</execute>
<icon>119</icon>
</button>
</homebuttons>

hopefully sometime soon we would be able to create our own screens using whatever method we want, until then we are stuck create half-baked work-arounds
Confused
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
thanks for replying.  i'll have to learn about activewindow calls and the buttonscroller to know how to implement them.  i'm pretty new to xbmc.  does this allow two totally seperate views that aren't tied to each other?  also, can i have multiple shares with the same bookmark name?  (ex. my movies span across my d:,e:,f:,g:, and h: drives)

i tried making a submenu like someone suggested, but the problem there is that it works off of the myvideos db and when i get the submenu view setup like i want, my vidoes defaults to the same view (which is no good for browsing my movies) unless i change it again.  not to mention the fact that my tv shows are ripped in dvd format so my filing system looks like c:\seinfeld\s01e01 - pilot\video_ts\video_ts.ifo.  this means that in file view i can get a listing of the series names and then click on one to see the list of epsiodes, but i can't just click on an episode to play it i still have to click on the video_ts folder to open it, then navigate to the video_ts.ifo file and click it to start the show.  this is anything but user friendly.

i am surprised that xbmc doesn't have more flexibility.  i would think that the database would be able to handle pretty much anything.  i have worked with meedio quite a bit and you can do anything with it's db.  it will give any views you want with whatever file structure that you have.  all you have to do is supply a tag mask.  also, you can add completely new categories to as well.  

also, i'm surprised that anyone would say that a seperate tv section is not needed until there are some ties to pvr.  why?  what does a pvr have to do with it?  i don't use a pvr at all.  all my tv episodes have been ripped from dvds.

edit: just to make it clear, i am new to xbmc and there may very well be ways to do this. i'm just truying to figure it out.
i agree with seven5. there needs to be a tv episode section. specifically, i think it needs it's own database. those of us who rip their dvd's into the standard dvd format (ifo's and vob's) find the traditional file view quite un-user-friendly since we need to click all the way down to video_ts.ifo file. switching to title view is preferred, but once you mix movies with tv episodes it loses it's effectiveness. i have around 160 movies along with about 200 tv episodes on my server. i would have to scroll through all those episodes just to find a movie. consider that all the episodes from one series (say seinfeld) will have the same icon, and it's easy to see where the whole list of videos becomes quite a mess.

imho movies are handles perfectly in title view. xbmc needs an additional area for tv shows that can be viewed something like this:

click on tv episodes button to go to a view that shows easch series (seinfeld, cheers, south park, etc.) along with an icon/pic for each. click on a series and see a list of episodes for that series. here, users should be able to highlight an episode and hit info to view the episode summary (tv.com could provide the data) or select the episode to begin playing it.

i don't think it even has to be a seperate button on the home page. i think it would be fine if you went into my videos and then had a button for tv episodes. so long as they are handled seperately and could have independent views.

just my $0.02
it could be a completely different way to go about it. rather than say seeing the simpsons episodes you have you could browse by simpsons episodes that exist. get sysnopsis and extra info on that episode. play the episode if you have it or tell emule/bit torrent on your pc you want that episode. depending on how interactive it is you could even see the progress of that downloading episode.

it could be a cool one stop shop to watch your favorite shows and easily fill in the missing parts.
(rockdawg @ aug. 08 2005,00:45 Wrote:click on tv episodes button to go to a view that shows easch series (seinfeld, cheers, south park, etc.) along with an icon/pic for each. click on a series and see a list of episodes for that series. here, users should be able to highlight an episode and hit info to view the episode summary (tv.com could provide the data) or select the episode to begin playing it.
i agree this would be ideal, but of course after clicking what series the season list should appear, since like the simpsons consist of 17 season x 24 eps it would make a long list...

although this would be a great feature it seems far fetched. i dont think enough people watch tv eps on xbmc for it to be such a huge feature. and it would take a lot of work i would assume... maybe a better solution would be a option for the my video part of xboxmediacenter.xml so you could set how xbmc should treat each share, like a movie share or a tv share. then it would grab information from tv.com instead of imdb....

just a thought...
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I want a "My TV" section (with a separate database)1