• 3(current)
I want a "My TV" section (with a separate database)
i agree, a tv section would be an awesome addition. i hate having to browse through hundreds of tv episodes when i'm looking for a movie.
so now since it seems this is wanted by many...

any kind devs willing to take on the project?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
i'm not shure how we have gone this long with out it. this is a must have!
guys - check out the new tv.com script.. um, its almost what you were after even at an early v1.00 stage curtousy of bbb (who also did the mytv script - a tv guide for most countries, which also operates a selected couple of tv cards and interacts with tv.com script)

http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....=15479;

as for screenshots - worst case, where are the screenshots that form part of the bookmarks stored ? - if the user has to take a screen shot for this purpose then it maybe an acceptable way of getting them ?
jj5768,
the script, while nice, does not address the main goal of having a "my tv" section. which is to have a section that focuses on prerecorded tv series on your network/harddrive.
yah, seperation is the key. it needs a seperate db along with it's own page and subpages. this is sorely needed imho!
a couple of thoughts regarding the "my tv" capabilities of xbmc.

1. regarding the issue of bloatware of xbmc, the functionality of the module should be limited in such a way that it provides only the core set of functionality that 100% of people require. in my opinion this includes the ability to index existing tv content. by indexing i mean that the module should provide a way of organizing content for the tv episodes (title, season, episode) and displaying it in a usable/consumable form like in my movies, and probably can reuse lots of code.

(first show all titles, simpsons, sienfeld, lost, etc)
(then show the respective seasons, s1, s2 etc)
(then show each episode, e1, e2, etc)

this information can be gleaned from an online source, tv.com much like imdb (this might introduce pain from dynamic changes to the source).

i think that this base set of functionality would satisy many people's needs, as there are (and should be) multiple ways of obtaining content - pvr, pc capture (dvb), raw download, etc.

2. live tv, and tv guide functionality - this should be an addon component to the core module, and should only provide functionality that is common among all methods of live-tv and tv-guide sources.

example 1 - dvb-s (my method), based on a remote pc card function, can provide live program information (in xml format), can record to disk in a supported video format (mpeg2), can be controlled remotely, and can stream video over the network.

example 2 - cable pvr, based on a remote pc card function, can provide live program information (not sure of the format), can record to disk in a supported video format (mpeg2), can be controlled remotely, and can stream video over the network (i think).

the base live tv and tv guide functions that could be built onto xbmc should be abstractions of this functionality. here are my recommendations:

a) from the my tv module, select tv-guide
b) tv-guide then reads a standard common format for program information, and displays it in a common format (like current electronic program guides)
c) selecting a program from the guide displays program information (provider, channel-id, program title, description, times, rating, etc)
d) from within the program information details, functionality exists to: 1) watch now 2) record 3) others?

the functionality behind these actions exists outside of the core my tv module, and would be built as interfaces to different sources depending on the interface.

this would allow the my tv module within xbmc to be limited to maximize on resuse, but still allow many different tv sources to be integrated, and would promote the developer's of the tv sources to allow/enable for xbmc integration.

just a few thoughts.
jt
guys,

i know there has been a lot of discussion for tv series on these forums but i have not yet seen anyone suggest what i am thinking of. this post is a copy of a reply to another post (feature suggestions - i want a "my tv" section). i am starting a new thread as the original post i replied to is fairly old and may not get much attention.

i currently have a number of tv series that i view on xbmc. i have either scanned them on imdb or have added them to the myvideos database manually (for those series that do not exist on imdb). they now all show on the 'title' view in my videos.

my question / suggestion is whether one more field can be added to the myvideos database for the episode title.

for example, when i click, say, 'fawlty towers' i see 12 cd images across the top of the screen and i can select one and have it play. when that episode is finished, it moves onto the next, and so on. this is exactly what i want it to do and it works very well. the problem is that when i do the original selection i do not know which episode it is, simply that it is the first, second, third, etc.

is it possible to -

1. add an extra field to the myvideos database for the episode title?
2. have that title displayed when that cd / episode is highlighted?

so that, when the first cd is highlighted, as well as highlighting the cd, i would see 'the kipper and the corpse', when the second cd is highlighted, i would see 'the builders', etc. i imagine this title appearing just below the image of the cd at the top of the screen.

if there is no entry in the 'episode title' field, no title will be displayed (e.g. for multi part films, where there is no reason to have this title).

for me, this would make things much easier. i realise this is not the full 'mytv' implementation that many people would like but *maybe* it is a quick and (fairly) easy step in the right direction?

thanks for your time reading this and thanks a million for this fantastic product.
hi guys.

i've just started doing some code that hopefully will end up somewhere along the lines you've been discussing here. however, i'm very much against a dedicated my tv section (mainly because it is overkill imho).

my plan is to end up with a video library, much like the music library except that it will support different types of content (as it is, movies, tvseries, anime and pr0n are the plan).

the main problem with doing db based views for videos is the lack of metainformation. this makes it impossible not to use the filename to do the lookup, just as the imdb lookup we have today does. for my ideas on how to 'exploit' the filesystem, see the thread in development.

the first task at hand is getting the information from the internet. this typically requires scraping websites for information. this is what i've started with. i've an almost working scraper-dev environment based on xml and regexp's. (currently i have a ~ 70% working scraper for http://www.geos.tv). once i've got this up'n'running, the next task will be to extend the database to hold the new fields required for tv show information (episodes, airdates, ...), and then getting the information obtained from the scrapers into the database. once this is done, we can start thinking about the gui...

i'd like anyone fluent in regexp + simple xml to volunteer to do e.g. a tv.com scraper. i will ofcourse provide examples and a simple test environment (currently my code in *nix only but porting it to win32 should be an easy task). also, this will give opportunities to influence how stuff works (e.g. you get the chance to tell me where i've done stupid things Wink)

ofcourse i can do the scraper myself, but help would free up time to work on other stuff.

spiff
Sad 
(jsd @ july 24 2005,15:13 Wrote:
(jslawler @ july 24 2005,02:13 Wrote:did anything ever happen with getting a xml feed from tv.com ?
i'm the tv.com xml guy... unfortunately i have been totally swamped with work and real life.  i will try to get around to it in the next few weeks!
@jsd, any chance you could expidite a xml feed from tv.com(?) as spiff will otherwise like to start making a http website-scraper for tv.com
(spiff @ oct. 04 2005,09:41 Wrote:i'd like anyone fluent in regexp + simple xml to volunteer to do e.g. a tv.com scraper. i will ofcourse provide examples and a simple test environment (currently my code in *nix only but porting it to win32 should be an easy task). also, this will give opportunities to influence how stuff works (e.g. you get the chance to tell me where i've done stupid things
...simple xml over sockets interface feed (similar to how xbmc access weather.com and freedb.org has it) as that would benifit us both (because then we could not have to scrape the http webpages which is much slower and will be a strain on their website bandwidth), ...in exchange we could post your logo in xbmc (and you post a link to our website if you want) so tv.com get some credit, plus people then know that we use and recomend the  tv.com database. theoreticly access to a xml sockets interface would make lookups 10x faster and would transfers 10x less data comparing to scraping the website.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Quote:my plan is to end up with a video library, much like the music library except that it will support different types of content (as it is, movies, tvseries, anime and pr0n are the plan).

please also support music videos: http://www.mvdbase.com
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Big Grin 
(donj @ oct. 04 2005,14:20 Wrote:please also support music videos: http://www.mvdbase.com
that is deffenitly off-topic for this thread, please post a separate new topic thread for that suggestion/releast and leave this existing topic thread on topic!, thanks in advance
i'm wondering how feasible it would be to have a "my tv episodes" area added into the main menu.

for starters, it would be simple:
a simple file listing of videos in a directory, exactly like what my videos does when you're looking at the files. however, the database would store the information about the files separately, to allow for a new database definition.

this simple implementation would allow for tv episodes and videos to be stored separately, and the user wouldn't have to switch back to file view in the video section to see the tv episodes.

in the future, lookups via tv.com or tviv.org would allow information to be downloaded about each episode, also, the databases would have some tv-centered views, like "last episode of each series", or "last season" would be viewable.

i have a degree in computer science, so i'm versed in programming, though i haven't taken a look at the code yet. i decided to post here first to see how feasible this addition is, and how likely i would be able to implement it myself.

maybe there is functionality there that can already reproduce the first stage, which would make things much easier...
(hatsix @ oct. 09 2005,22:59 Wrote:i'm wondering how feasible it would be to have a "my tv episodes" area added into the main menu.

for starters, it would be simple:
a simple file listing of videos in a directory, exactly like what my videos does when you're looking at the files. however, the database would store the information about the files separately, to allow for a new database definition.

this simple implementation would allow for tv episodes and videos to be stored separately, and the user wouldn't have to switch back to file view in the video section to see the tv episodes.

in the future, lookups via tv.com or tviv.org would allow information to be downloaded about each episode, also, the databases would have some tv-centered views, like "last episode of each series", or "last season" would be viewable.

i have a degree in computer science, so i'm versed in programming, though i haven't taken a look at the code yet. i decided to post here first to see how feasible this addition is, and how likely i would be able to implement it myself.

maybe there is functionality there that can already reproduce the first stage, which would make things much easier...
hatsix,
you should read this entire thread, this is what we've been talking about. see my post on the "conceptual design" here:

http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....7;st=15

if you are a programmer then you can definitely work on, it would be welcomed!

jslawler is interested in working on the code for this too... please contact him and coordinate if you are wanting to help.

with both of you on it it will get done much quicker i'd think.
what about using http://tviv.org instead of tv.com. im sure it wouldnt take much to ask them about putting an xml or rss feed into the wiki to grab the information.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I want a "My TV" section (with a separate database)1