New forum software?
Well either way, the software needs to change. This version is no longer supported. And if we're going to change, it's the perfect chance to move to something FLOSS.

TheUni
I know I have not been here long, or posted all that much, but figured I would throw my two cents also.

Has something like Shapado <http://shapado.com/> been considered. Forums are great for discussions, but when trying to find an answer to a problem, it can be difficult to find once the thread has spanned several pages. The answer always seems to be buried somewhere in the middle for some reason.

Something that is more Question and Answer oriented with voting and accepting answers, gives a couple advantages. It encourages the person asking the question to ask better questions. Meaning giving more details and encourages better answers.

The downside is it is not fit well with discussions (much like this thread is), so maybe the optimal solution is somewhere in the middle. I dunno, just another idea.

Thanks for all the work you all do, it is very much appreciated.
Exclamation 
theuni Wrote:Well either way, the software needs to change. This version is no longer supported.

Quote:And if we're going to change, it's the perfect chance to move to something FLOSS. TheUni

Please consider the following:
(1) cost of bandwidth - many other forums are not optimized for keeping queries low and bandwidth usage low.
(2) cost of training xbmc.org staff how to use the new software. People's time is valuable.
(3) security of other software. vBulletin certainly is quite secure vs. many other softwares.
(4) admin issues - administering a forum is time consuming. Any software that makes the job 10% harder, will add up to alot of time.
(5) absolutely HUGE threads - are you sure other forum softwares will handle the massively long threads here ?
(6) versus "going FLOSS" for philosophical reasons, shouldn't the smart people who advocate for FLOSS also know when FLOSS doesn't meet their project's needs ?
(7) if your FLOSS project is made less efficient because you chose forum software for philosophical reasons, is that a win for FLOSS or a LOSS ?
(8) are you sure now is a good time to be disrupting the important communications here ?
(9) FYI I don't really like vBulletin, but it is the best software for a site this large. One day, xenForo might be better, as it has a more modern architecture, but it's still early days in that project.

There are times when using non-FLOSS software is the best decision for a FLOSS project. XBMC is beacon of light for FLOSS. Harming the project by using software for philosophical reasons, not to meet the needs of the XBMC project itself is very risky.

The better approach to a change in forum software is ....
(1) what are the information needs of the XBMC project ?
(2) what software meets those needs ?
(3) spending some money on non-FLOSS software that respects the time and information needs of thousands of people is a win for FLOSS, not a Loss.

Make software choices for the needs of XMBC, not to be an ideologue.
Vive le XBMC.
ASrock Ion 330HT - XBMCFreak 10.1 Lucid LiveCD. Everything works but System sounds over HDMI.
osirisjem Wrote:Make software choices for the needs of XBMC, not to be an ideologue.

http://ubuntuforums.org/
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:http://ubuntuforums.org/
Ubuntu forums, powered by vBulletin.
I have to ramble on to make a point and you make it with one link !
Interesting example.

vBulletin may need changing if vB4 isn't improved.
xenForo is already better than vB, in many respects.
I am not sure about xenForo and a forum this size though.

Nothing wrong with staying with vB3 for now.
ASrock Ion 330HT - XBMCFreak 10.1 Lucid LiveCD. Everything works but System sounds over HDMI.
osirisjem Wrote:Ubuntu forums, powered by vBulletin.
I have to ramble on to make a point and you make it with one link !

Not quite, it's mere illustration, too abstract without your post.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

I'm very happy with the XBMC forum as it is... very easy to use!
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
pecinko Wrote:Better support for mobile devices. It's almost impossible to use it on a phone.

iPhone / iPod Touch Optimized Skin

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=171947
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

I'm a sucker for IP.Board. For which I hold a licence I will gladly donate to the XBMC team Wink

My real concern is that the forum should integrate nice with the frontpage design. Be a more complete environmental, and not fragmented. So what platform is used, doesn't matter. As long as the experience is complete.

As a second suggestion, is MyBB which is licensed under GPLv3.

Good luck in the future on a forum upgrade Wink
I've been a fan of IP Board for a long time. TONS of features and super easy to adminstrate.

MindTooth Wrote:I'm a sucker for IP.Board. For which I hold a licence I will gladly donate to the XBMC team Wink

My real concern is that the forum should integrate nice with the frontpage design. Be a more complete environmental, and not fragmented. So what platform is used, doesn't matter. As long as the experience is complete.

As a second suggestion, is MyBB which is licensed under GPLv3.

Good luck in the future on a forum upgrade Wink
How about separating information by version of xbmc...I'd say cut off at camelot and archive everything that is pre-camelot, then have a section for camelot, and a section for dharma...

Doing so would reduce greatly the amount of information developers and noobs have to wade through to find information specific to their issues. Also, it would help developers to more readily identify addons from camelot that would be good candidates for updating and integrating into dharma...

also, a search bar that isn't drop down would be good for phone users until a good portable app for accessing the forums can be developed...hopefully an ANDROID app first pleaseSmile
Silverstone Case with Windows 7 HTPC(considering Ubuntu) with Biostar TA790GX A3+ w/ Quad-core Phenom 2 processor, 8GB DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaw RAM, Zotac nvidia gt430 gpu w/hdmi 1.4a, Pioneer BD-S02 Bluray Combo drive, Mygica HD Thriller ATSC/NTSC Clear QAM Hybrid PCI PVR card, USB-UIRT, Onkyo HT-S9300THX 7.1 System, 50" Panasonic Viera 3DTV (TC-P50GT25), Verizon Fios with Motorola HD DVR, XBOX 360 w/ Kinect, Panasonic DMP-BDT100 FullHD 3D Bluray Player, X10 NStinct Remote
Glad is on your list of to-do's. Looking forward to a modern change.
Platforms: macOS - iOS - OSMC
co-author: Red Bull TV add-on
The future is with Xenforo - xenforo.com
But sticking with vBulletin for now is a great idea.

Nothing will be as fast as vBulletin.
Any more news on this subject? As said before, I gladly donate my license of IP.Board and pay the first six months of support Smile

Though, note. That if the XBMC choose to change forum solution at a later time, I wish to have the license revoked back to me. Sound fair to me.
... I like inyoka from ubuntuusers.de. But they don´t share it. Sad
freaksworth is not connected to or in any other way affiliated with XBMC, Team XBMC, or the XBMC Foundation.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New forum software?0