• 4(current)
Windows Phone 7 XBMC Remote
Hi,

I am not sure this is the official way to get support but was wondering if you could help. I have bought the app and unfortunatlly cannot connect. I am using XBMC Dharma RC1 on my laptop which connects via WiFi and has an IP address of 192.168.1.10. I am using the app on a HTC HD7 which is also connected to my home WiFi. I have xbmc network http control enabled with

Username: xbmc
Password: 1234
Port: 80

When I put these settings into my app it says connection failed everytime. I have tried using different usernames, passwords and ports to no avail. Any help is greatly appreciated
liamfoneill Wrote:Hi,

I am not sure this is the official way to get support but was wondering if you could help. I have bought the app and unfortunatlly cannot connect. I am using XBMC Dharma RC1 on my laptop which connects via WiFi and has an IP address of 192.168.1.10. I am using the app on a HTC HD7 which is also connected to my home WiFi. I have xbmc network http control enabled with

Username: xbmc
Password: 1234
Port: 80

When I put these settings into my app it says connection failed everytime. I have tried using different usernames, passwords and ports to no avail. Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks for trying the app and yes, this is best way to get support.
Can you verify the following -
1. In your XBMC network setting, have you selected the option to control XBMC from other computers?
2. From other machien on your home network, try from browser going to http://yourIP:80/jsonrpc, it should popup to enter username password and then should say "JSON RPC active and working". If not, somethign is wrong and the app wouldn't connect.

Let me know how it goes.
weldon Wrote:One 'feature' i'd like to see is ability to hold down a key on the 'remote'. For scrolling through things, i'd like to be able to just hold down the key and have it work.

Thanks. I will put this in my next set of features to work on and see if I can do something.

weldon Wrote:Also, on the main page, the description for remote is:
'Control your server like a remote' reads awkwardly.

It seems like it should be changed, since your controlling xbmc, and the 'like a remote' is the application, not the server.
That was the first shot at that. I am hoping to redesign some of those in the future. May be a customizable home screen Smile.

weldon Wrote:edit:
when something is playing and you click on the icon, and get to the now playing section, and then pan to 'queue', the progress bar continuously goes; it probably doesn't need to.

Great app though, can tell a lot of time was put into it Smile

Yes, the progress bar was my way to showing that particular song was playing if you have more than 1 in yoru queue (only in case of music).
It should be more clear if it says "playing ...".

And yes, a lot of effort gone in but it was totally worth seeing that people are starting to use it Smile.
Hi thanks for the reply.

I managed to get it working by changing the port number to 85 instead of 80 (not sure why 80 wouldn't work). I actually have two xbmc machines in the house and now have it running on the other one as well!

I must congratulate you on well put together app. One thing I note is that the app performs much better when you change the list view from the default of 100 to 50.
liamfoneill Wrote:Hi thanks for the reply.

I managed to get it working by changing the port number to 85 instead of 80 (not sure why 80 wouldn't work). I actually have two xbmc machines in the house and now have it running on the other one as well!

I must congratulate you on well put together app. One thing I note is that the app performs much better when you change the list view from the default of 100 to 50.

Awesome. glad to hear its working. I am assuming its because of the default http web server using port 80.

Yes, reducing from 100 to 50 will only fetch 50 items at a time and thus you will get better response.
Saw a bug earlier where if you open the app and try to close it immediately with the back key, It thinks you're using the trial version and prompts you to buy the app.
weldon Wrote:Saw a bug earlier where if you open the app and try to close it immediately with the back key, It thinks you're using the trial version and prompts you to buy the app.
Thanks for reporting. I will look into it.
Anybody using the download to local music features? Would love to hear feedback on that. Also, would people be interested in getting push notification of any kind?
I am trying to add push notifications and looking feature request even if you don't own the phone yet. Just let me know your wish list.

thanks,
My wish list is short:

Support for xbox Smile

I think you will make thousands of us xbox users out there happy.
great work hello_man! +1 purchase here Smile

for reference, I have a HTC Mozart

my movie and tv catalogue is relatively small, but my music library is larger, no issues so far playing music, tv or movies.

I have very little mp3 music (mostly flac) but i downloaded some mp3s locally: they downloaded quickly and play back fine, they are not added to the Windows Phone Music Hub library though (I didn't expect them too, just thought I would give as much feedback as poss), but the recently played section of the music hub shows the songs that I played.

The highlighting of a selected item is barely visible on the standard black theme, would like it lighter or a different colour (blue would be cool, as I use the Windows Phone 7 blue theme Smile ).

Would be great if when you select an artist then you are shown their albums rather than just being able to queue or play all songs by that artist.

There is a slight delay when scrolling, it's no way near a deal breaker as it is slight, but would be great if this could be reduced.

I'm guessing that with the song list and artist list that it is populated dynamically as you navigate (according to the media item amount in settings), would be great to be able to have a static list instead that can be updated manually each time I add songs to my xbmc library, this way I can, say, jump straight to songs/artists that begin with the letter S; as it is at the moment (unless I'm missing something) I have to go through many pages to get to this.

Another thing that would be cool would be able to skin the remote screen, say by selecting an image as background, or even buttons too!

Again, great work hello_man, I'm really impressed, your app works fast, looks great, and I'm looking forward to future updates.

[edit] ok, I changed the media scan amount to 500 and kept clicking the 'more' button, I can now jump straight to a song beginning with, say, the letter S using the alphabetical selection screen. Would be great if some kind of static list was in place with a manual update, then maybe turn off list updating, the app would be even snappier. I appreciate the issues with syncing, I would be happy with an update facility that simply wipes the old data and creates a new one (hope I am making sense!).
ipabs Wrote:great work hello_man! +1 purchase here Smile

for reference, I have a HTC Mozart

my movie and tv catalogue is relatively small, but my music library is larger, no issues so far playing music, tv or movies.

I have very little mp3 music (mostly flac) but i downloaded some mp3s locally: they downloaded quickly and play back fine, they are not added to the Windows Phone Music Hub library though (I didn't expect them too, just thought I would give as much feedback as poss), but the recently played section of the music hub shows the songs that I played.

The highlighting of a selected item is barely visible on the standard black theme, would like it lighter or a different colour (blue would be cool, as I use the Windows Phone 7 blue theme Smile ).

Would be great if when you select an artist then you are shown their albums rather than just being able to queue or play all songs by that artist.

There is a slight delay when scrolling, it's no way near a deal breaker as it is slight, but would be great if this could be reduced.

I'm guessing that with the song list and artist list that it is populated dynamically as you navigate (according to the media item amount in settings), would be great to be able to have a static list instead that can be updated manually each time I add songs to my xbmc library, this way I can, say, jump straight to songs/artists that begin with the letter S; as it is at the moment (unless I'm missing something) I have to go through many pages to get to this.

Another thing that would be cool would be able to skin the remote screen, say by selecting an image as background, or even buttons too!

Again, great work hello_man, I'm really impressed, your app works fast, looks great, and I'm looking forward to future updates.

[edit] ok, I changed the media scan amount to 500 and kept clicking the 'more' button, I can now jump straight to a song beginning with, say, the letter S using the alphabetical selection screen. Would be great if some kind of static list was in place with a manual update, then maybe turn off list updating, the app would be even snappier. I appreciate the issues with syncing, I would be happy with an update facility that simply wipes the old data and creates a new one (hope I am making sense!).

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Some comments/clarification below -

1. When you download a new song to local device, the song should appear in Music+Video recently added list. I think it is fixed size so will only show recently downloaded 8 or so songs.
2. Yeh, when you have a big music collection, right now you have to do it in pages. I have a long pending motivation to support offline browsing which I haven't got to it (wanted to see how many people are using the app before spending more time Smile. Basically what that, you can sync all your library offline and can browser without making any connection. Only when you decide to play a song/video, it issue a command. This way you can manually sync if you want and avoid any wait.
3. Can you elaborate on the delay with scrolling? I expect to not have any delay once all the images are downloaded to your phone. Do you see if once you have navigated the list and see all the images? Let me know.
4. For rest of the feedback, thanks. I will try to incorporate as much as possible in subsequent releases.

Thanks again for your feedback. This will keep me motivated to make it better and better. Also, your feedback on marketplace will help others finding the app as well.
my pleasure, it's great to have such an excellent app for xbmc Smile

re:

1: yep does that perfectly, I'm guessing the windows phone API doesn't allow adding songs to the hub library, maybe is limited to using the zune software which is a shame, maybe MS will address this in future

2: offline browsing would be great, but I appreciate the amount of time and effort that goes into implementing new features so I'll keep me fingers crossed Smile

3: the delay with scrolling is very very slight, you could definitely say I'm being picky! I suppose I've got used to the responsiveness of, say, the standard Windows Phone apps list and start page, I appreciate that when I'm scrolling through albums that there is alot going on under the hood, but the delay is there when I scroll through tv shows and I only have 20, it's more like what you experience with input lag rather than being choppy or slow, maybe a future offline feature will allow easier optimization. Please don't get me wrong, it's not annoying, it's only slight, I'm just a bit OCD lol

4: That would be great, of course I appreciate prioritising bug fixes/optimisation, but look forward to new features

thanks again for a great app, keep up the great work!

p.s. my review on marketplace has finally updated with the correct spelling of 'stylish' lol
couple more queries if you don't mind:

when I view seasons of a TV show it shows 'season 10' as being second, like this:

season 1
season 10
season 2

etc

I guess this is because it's strictly alphabetical, would be great if this could be resolved.

Regarding the thumbs of tv shows, I use the Aeon65 skin and don't use banners, but I love the banner images on my phone in your app, just suits the portrait shape of the phone. Is it possible to have the app look for banner images in the tv show directories, rather than use the ones used in xbmc? This way I can keep the non-banner images in xbmc, but have banner images in your app.

I couldn't find a way to refresh the cached images in the app, so tried deleting the connection and re-creating it in settings but this didn't work.

I now tried uninstalling and reinstalling, when I reinstalled the marketplace recognised I had already purchased the app, but when I run it now it is the trial version. I went back to marketplace, pulled up your app again, selected buy (the app is installed in trial version at the mo), marketplace recognised I had already purchased it and I was able to Install again so I have the full version now. I don't know if this is standard procedure for reinstalling purchased apps, just thought I would give you feedback.

Now i've reinstalled, it has pulled the new images as expected.
Thanks for the feedback ipabs.

1. Regarding season numbering, yes, its sorting based on name and it should not sort it that way. thanks for letting me know. I didn't have any TV show with more than 10 season so didn't know Smile.

2. I will have to look into the banner images part more.

3. Regarding image cache, yes, it only deletes the cache on uninstall. I have plans to support clearing the cache manually.

4. Marketplace is little screwed right now, there are couple of bugs. It seems when you downloaded again, it should have detected and only allowed the full version as you already purchsed. I will report this error to Microsoft.
Thanks hello_man, I'm loving using your app, keep up the great work and will post more info and feedback as I get it Smile
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows Phone 7 XBMC Remote0