• 5(current)
Windows Phone 7 XBMC Remote
Hey Guys,

I have submitted an update to marketplace today which should be available in few days. Here are some of the changes coming -

List of features added in V2.1 -
• Backdrops when viewing movie/music/tvshows details (when available).
• Ability to clear image cache
• Remote left/right/up/down supports repeat presses.
• album view by artist.
• bug fix in season number sorting
• selection color change to accent from grey and few other fixes.

More info at - http://ashterisk.wordpress.com/2010/12/0...-1-update/

ImageImageImage
Great work! Looks amazing, the update isn't available yet for me, maybe there is a delay getting updates to the European market or something, but can't wait to get it Smile
Its not approved yet. May be a day or so.
Hi,

i tried to connect to XBMC server with my dyndns, which didn't work. I had to enter the ip address manually. Was that just me?

Also can i connect to xbmc through the local network wlan connection instead of the internet ip address? Didnt work either with my configuration...

Sorry about my bad english Wink
This looks great, I look forward to getting the update in the next couple of days.

This is definitely the best XBMC remote app available on WP7.
pdmetze Wrote:Hi,

i tried to connect to XBMC server with my dyndns, which didn't work. I had to enter the ip address manually. Was that just me?

Also can i connect to xbmc through the local network wlan connection instead of the internet ip address? Didnt work either with my configuration...

Sorry about my bad english Wink

I'm controlling XBMC locally over my home wifi, here is how mine is configured:

XBMC Network settings

Share video and music libraries through UPNP : ON
Allow control of XBMC vis UPNP : ON
Allow control of XBMC via HTTP : ON
Port : 81
Username : XBMC
Password : (your password)
Web Interface : Default
Allow programs on this system to control XBMC : ON
Allow programs on other systems to control XBMC : ON

My router is a bit rubbish and has problems with UPnP, so even though I have the UPnP settings turned on in XBMC Network Settings, I manually forwarded port 81 in my router configuration. I recommend manually setting up a port forward rather than using UPnP, it's just a more reliable method imho.

Router Configuration

Forwards UDP and TCP on port 81 to my PC running XBMC

XBMC Remote Connection Settings

Friendly Name : (doesn't matter, just a nickname for connection)
Server Name : (your Computer Name on your local network)
Port : 81
User Name : XBMC
Password : (the password you set in XBMC Network Settings)

Regarding the Server Name, you could use your PC's local IP address if it is set statically (you are not using DHCP). My router (remember it's rubbish lol) did not pick up my Computer Name, it just named my PC using it's MAC address so I had to manually change my PC's Computer Name in the router.

I had problems using port 80 when setting it up, probably some conflict with web server settings in my router, so I went with port 81.
Just got the new upgrade, and It looks great! Thank you!
weldon Wrote:Just got the new upgrade, and It looks great! Thank you!

Weldon, how is the remote presses working? I was thinking if they need delay and a slower repeat?
Let me know how you feel.
Picked this up today - really to get some familiarity with XBMC and the remote options before buying a new HTPC.

Really pleased with it - its far exceeds some other remote apps I've tried on other platforms - one issue I have though is that Movies and TV shows show up fine but I can't view any music at all?? Gonna have a play around when I get a bit more time Big Grin
hello_man Wrote:Weldon, how is the remote presses working? I was thinking if they need delay and a slower repeat?
Let me know how you feel.

I hadn't tried the remote update until now, and I agree that it's probably a little too quick.

I'm using a Revo so it's not the best performance, but It seemed to 'jump' and run through multiple covers at once, then stop for a half a second, and then do it again. I held the button down for about 20 seconds, and then stopped, and it continued for another 30.

Probably the best thing to do would be just to find a comfortable speed to scroll through using your keyboard/real remote, and try to mimic it as best as you can.

The iphone remote for xbmc I have probably does 5 covers a second, and that works pretty well.
WhiteHartMart Wrote:Picked this up today - really to get some familiarity with XBMC and the remote options before buying a new HTPC.

Really pleased with it - its far exceeds some other remote apps I've tried on other platforms - one issue I have though is that Movies and TV shows show up fine but I can't view any music at all?? Gonna have a play around when I get a bit more time Big Grin

glad to hear. For music, by default XBMC doesn't scan the music directories to search for albums. If you right click and scan folder, it will show up in library. try it, let me know how it goes
Brilliant - thanks for that, it works perfectly now Nod
thanks for the update, great to have the ability to clear cache now, the album option for artists is fantastic too!

I'm still getting tv show seasons shown with Season 10 second though, for example, Stargate SG1 shows two columns of seasons like this:

season 1 season 10
season 2 season 3
season 4 season 5

etc

Regarding the input lag I mentioned before when scrolling, it definitely seems better than what it was. I imagine scrolling through high-res images is going to take a toll on phone resources, I would like to make a feature request if I may regarding this, is it possible to have the app first check for, say, an image called xbmc_remote_thumb.jpg in a tv show/album/movie folder and to use that if it exists? The reason I ask is for a few reasons:
  • Hopefuly this would be a relatively easy tweak in the code to make for yourself, I can then resize my images to suit the 480 pixel width of my phone and name them xbmc_remote_thumb.jpg in each folder, I can then let you know how much better performance is using the app when scrolling with the smaller image files (don't get me wrong, it's dam good already).

• I can also choose images for your app independently of xbmc, so I can have non-banner images in my Aeon65 skin, and have banner images for tv shows on my phone.
Thanks ipabs for the feedback.
I will look into the season numbering issue. Yeah the support for 4:3 TV shows images is not there but I am hoping I can do something about that soon.
Regarding smaller images, the app actually resize it and save a smaller version. I am not very sure how much of lag you are seeing but it may be something which may not be reduced because of Silverlight compared to the native apps.
That said, I will definitely see what I can do.
Please don't read too much into the lag issue, it's very slight, I was just trying to think of a way to remove it completely, I see your point about Silverlight vs being able to write native apps for WP7.

Regarding the scrolling speed, I too find it a little fast, when I hold down on the remote button the scrolling in xbmc is a little erratic. I just thought I would express my preference for the scrolling implementation and see what others think too, am I right in assuming that XBMC recognises holding down a button and speeds up scrolling dramatically until the button is released? This seems to be the implementation, and if so I would like to suggest not using this command to XBMC. I would prefer an option in settings that lets me specify how many items to scroll through per second when holding a button down on the remote, so if I set it to 4 then your app will send a single scroll command to xbmc every .25 seconds, rather than sending the 'fast scroll' command to XBMC which is problematic with network lag. Better still, instead of setting how many items to scroll through per second, being able to set the repeat rate in miliseconds would be even better (so in my example I could set it to 250) as it would allow finer tweaking.

I hope this makes sense, and thanks again for the update Smile
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows Phone 7 XBMC Remote0