• 14(current)
[LINUX] OpenELEC.tv Linux Distro on Apple TV - Success!
sraue Wrote:as you can see, the difference is not much but:

- OpenELEC has much faster startup times, also on ATV
- OpenELEC uses the nouveau driver, we dont must stick on old kernels, xorg and other software
- OpenELEC has a working Audio over HDMI
- OpenELEC uses released DHARMA
- OpenELEC can be configured much easyer
- OpenELEC has a very good working automatic updater (not only for XBMC)
- OpenELEC is much smaller

i have no problem if its not the right system for you, also (because) i dont see any questions or bug reports regarding this or any help from you (for example how you have solved your install problems etc...).
Only for information: Sams and Pins image is based on ubuntu, packaged by hundreds or thousands devs, OpenELEC is build from scratch, packaged by one dev.

Good work, I will definatly give this a go. I have a feeling that I just replace the root partition with the content of the image and everything should boot correctly?

I also have some serious SLA's at home with the wifey and kids, everytime I try something new and break the apple TV I get in trouble. I will try this first on a USB (hoping it works from there) and then move it to my main HDD. I have made sure this time that the partition with the main system to be different from the one with the media files.

Again good job and will post some feedback when I try it.

K.
kar200 Wrote:Good work, I will definatly give this a go. I have a feeling that I just replace the root partition with the content of the image and everything should boot correctly?

I also have some serious SLA's at home with the wifey and kids, everytime I try something new and break the apple TV I get in trouble. I will try this first on a USB (hoping it works from there) and then move it to my main HDD. I have made sure this time that the partition with the main system to be different from the one with the media files.

Again good job and will post some feedback when I try it.

K.
Yep replacing the files on the root is the way to go.
http://openelec.tv/forum/31-apple-tv-pla...dd-install
Wanted to try the RC, but cannot get it to work on Windows 7 x64.

I've done as the batch file told me (same as this guide; http://www.xbmcboxes.com/howto-create-a-...installer/)

But afterwards I have only one partition on the USB drive (tried a 2 GB and a 16 GB) and of course it does not boot in the Apple TV.

Am I missing something?
sraue Wrote:as you can see, the difference is not much but:

- OpenELEC has much faster startup times, also on ATV
- OpenELEC uses the nouveau driver, we dont must stick on old kernels, xorg and other software
- OpenELEC has a working Audio over HDMI
- OpenELEC uses released DHARMA
- OpenELEC can be configured much easyer
- OpenELEC has a very good working automatic updater (not only for XBMC)
- OpenELEC is much smaller

i have no problem if its not the right system for you, also (because) i dont see any questions or bug reports regarding this or any help from you (for example how you have solved your install problems etc...).
Only for information: Sams and Pins image is based on ubuntu, packaged by hundreds or thousands devs, OpenELEC is build from scratch, packaged by one dev.

- OpenELEC has much faster startup times, also on ATV - so does Crystalubuntu, Archcrystal
- OpenELEC uses the nouveau driver, we dont must stick on old kernels, xorg and other software - there is no need for this new driver
- OpenELEC has a working Audio over HDMI - same
- OpenELEC uses released DHARMA - same
- OpenELEC can be configured much easyer - maybe so, but your installation is complicated for the average user, alas not as simple as running dd. I think the UI installer is better
- OpenELEC has a very good working automatic updater (not only for XBMC) - crystalHD and XBMC updater included in mine.
- OpenELEC is much smaller - you got me there Smile, but your not making up for it in speed Sad

Quote: Sams and Pins image is based on ubuntu, packaged by hundreds or thousands devs, OpenELEC is build from scratch, packaged by one dev.
That might be your problem
Hi all,

I had a cracki at openelc - I did before by the way but the movies were a lot slower.

I have a few questions (like always if someone is keen).

1 - The "nouveau" driver - is that used only for sound since video is handled by Crystal HD? Also the Openelec version does not have the VDPAU acceleration so I was wondering if that will make plugins like youtube slower?

2 - The openelec relises on the 3 files to boot - I suppsoe it mounts the system image and uses the kernel to boot and then it takes it from there? Does that mean I can just add those 3 files to my root partition and can just change the file in the boot partition to boot from Opene elec or from the sda3 partition?

3 - Deos openelec use a swap partition? would that help if this is the case? I have it running from a USB at home and was doing it late last night so did not have time to check these things.

K.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:- OpenELEC has much faster startup times, also on ATV - so does Crystalubuntu, Archcrystal
- OpenELEC uses the nouveau driver, we dont must stick on old kernels, xorg and other software - there is no need for this new driver
- OpenELEC has a working Audio over HDMI - same
- OpenELEC uses released DHARMA - same
- OpenELEC can be configured much easyer - maybe so, but your installation is complicated for the average user, alas not as simple as running dd. I think the UI installer is better
- OpenELEC has a very good working automatic updater (not only for XBMC) - crystalHD and XBMC updater included in mine.
- OpenELEC is much smaller - you got me there Smile, but your not making up for it in speed Sad

That might be your problem

Happy Birthday Sam!
cheers
Can someone please help me out? I have Sam's image working on my ATV with the following:
sda1 = Recovery
sda2=swap
sda3=/
sda4= media files (bigges partition).

I wanted to have some sort of dual boot with openelec since it uses single files as images. I copied the 3 files from openelec into my main partition (sda3) in the root folder.

I changed the patchstick.sh to mount sda3. I also changed the com.apple.Boot.plist to look for the patchstick just like in the original one.

My ATV starts booting but unfortunately hangs at loading a driver which is HID or something.

I was wondering if that was even possible? I thought it would be good to have them side by side this way and try them the new versions when they come out.

I can provide more logs if someone is interested in helping me. just let me know what you need.

I have also gone through HDD Install in openelec and they used the same thing. The only difference is the partitions there are only 3 and not 4.

Thanks,
K.
Anyone managed to enable 24 fps on Apple TV?

This guide: http://openelec.tv/forum/12-guides-tips-...hz-support
does not return any mode lines and if I try to use the same ones listed there, xorg goes into an error 255 loop
Tcalp Wrote:. . .0
1) The Apple TV remote will not work with the image you've supplied. Holding '+ & Menu' for 5 seconds causes the 'pairing' notification to appear in XBMC but I cannot use the up/down/left/right/play arrows to navigate XBMC ... is anyone else having this issue ?

Tcalp,

Yes! I'm having the same issue. I posed a question in the OpenElec forum as well. I tried the latest Version and the Stable release of OpenElec and I get the same issue.

Did you ever solve the issue. Works great with a keyboard and Android phone but nothing with the stock remote.
So I managed to SSH into the aTV, and I checked under the ./.xbmc/userdata/keymaps but there is no xml file for the remote.

Is this the problem? Is there a way to test the IR receiver is picking up the IR command request?

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

-TIA

BTW: Pressing any of the keys on the remote when in screensaver (dimmed) mode cause the system to "wake up", and the light on the box blinks when a button is pressed. Also, holding down the Menu key on the remote causes the system to power off.
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] OpenELEC.tv Linux Distro on Apple TV - Success!2