• 2(current)
[LINUX] OpenELEC.tv Linux Distro on Apple TV - Success!
can it already be downloaded somewhere Huh

great job guys, seriously, you are all kicking MSFT's ass :-)
if you ever need some beta testers I will love to help (I own an ATV w/ Broadcom card)

Nice news really....

PS: Why don't move this thread to the Apple Tv / Mac Specific support?
A quick question for the lucky few who are running openelec on atv, how is the performance of openelec on atv compared to atv osx and crystalbuntu? with such a small distro and what looks like better resource management I am just curious as to how quick the menus are. this comes at a great time I just got a dirt cheap atv 160gb (everyone is blowing them out waiting for the newer atv) and my crystalhd is in the mail can't wait for this image.
Good job guys.
just using the beta version now , installed within no time.

And i mus say, IT IS AWESOME !!!!!!

compared to crystalbuntu , it loads about 5* faster than crystalbuntu.
The Remote works
CHD works
SAMBA WORKS OUT OF THE BOX !!!!

i have the impression that the GUI itself is much faster than with crystalbuntu, don't ask me why.

I can only recommend it !
^tWiSt^ Wrote:if you ever need some beta testers I will love to help (I own an ATV w/ Broadcom card)

Nice news really....
thanks :-) some days to wait, then it will be released for testing

^tWiSt^ Wrote:PS: Why don't move this thread to the Apple Tv / Mac Specific support?

hmmm if anyone can do this please?
greetings, Stephan

^tWiSt^ Wrote:PS: Why don't move this thread to the Apple Tv / Mac Specific support?

Glad you did!
I have caught bits and pieces of this but now am excited to hear it running on an ATV!
How does it load, by USB stick or?
Can't wait to take it for a test drive!
So the 260 beta Nvidia driver gives us audio over HDMI? I remember having to use 100 series that would only work with specific Linux kernels etc.
JDizzy Wrote:Glad you did!
I have caught bits and pieces of this but now am excited to hear it running on an ATV!

You can run it on an USB, on HDD using an USB to start it (besides old atv os) or instead of the atv os on hdd without USB... whatever suits you best.....
Quote:I have caught bits and pieces of this but now am excited to hear it running on an ATV!

I have it running on the HDD, the patchstick to boot up though.

Once the patchstick swaps to the HDD , it takes about 12seconds to load and to be fully operational.

Awesome.
live4ever Wrote:So the 260 beta Nvidia driver gives us audio over HDMI? I remember having to use 100 series that would only work with specific Linux kernels etc.

Where did you read that? I didn't see anyone confirm they had it working...

deraaij Wrote:You can run it on an USB, on HDD using an USB to start it (besides old atv os) or instead of the atv os on hdd without USB... whatever suits you best.....

Will OpenELEC claim the whole HD or can I tell it to install to a certain partition? I have a fully functional Arch Linux installation on it (but 1080p with CrystalHD is pretty wonky), I'd rather not have the whole setup wiped.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
.:B:. Wrote:Will OpenELEC claim the whole HD or can I tell it to install to a certain partition? I have a fully functional Arch Linux installation on it (but 1080p with CrystalHD is pretty wonky), I'd rather not have the whole setup wiped.

No because it is very small you need at least 1GB. In the beginning I had it running besides the atv os and ubuntu.

You need two partitions: one of +/- 250mb and one of 750mb or more.
Not being a technical person, will your installer automatically setup the partitions needed to the HDD if wanting to install next to OSX?
If not, I guess the next best thing would be running off the stick but then you are limited by the size of the stick.
I think you said that using the stick, the image will take about 1GB, so if using a 8GB stick, you would have 7GB left to use?
JDizzy Wrote:Not being a technical person, will your installer automatically setup the partitions needed to the HDD if wanting to install next to OSX?
If not, I guess the next best thing would be running off the stick but then you are limited by the size of the stick.
I think you said that using the stick, the image will take about 1GB, so if using a 8GB stick, you would have 7GB left to use?

We will make a howto for partiotioning the hdd and maybe in some weeks an installer. if you use a 8gb stick you have 7.75GB left of which 512mb is used as a memory swap file.

Updating the kernel / xbmc once it is installed is super easy (auto or manually copying two files via default available samba share). Just something "not technical" users are looking for :-)
Hi,

JDizzy Wrote:Not being a technical person, will your installer automatically setup the partitions needed to the HDD if wanting to install next to OSX?

for the first releases we have no installer with ATV support. so there bill be an little howto to install manually. OpenELEC.tv for ATV is now around 85MB. but the ATV has only 256MB RAM included so we create an swapfile on first boot. The swapfile size will be 512MB. thats why 750MB minimum is recommended for the second partition (where the swapfile is) we need also some space for the XBMC Homefolder for creating database etc....

At this moment the first partition can be also 128MB, but we recommend a bit more space for further versions.

but in general you are right on an 8GB Stick you have a bit more then 7GB for your own use.
greetings, Stephan

I'll see how this pans out before I make a Dharma image, but I am planning to make a small Windows app that lets you make a USB that either boots directly or restores the image to the internal HDD.

Self-updating and notifications through JSON-RPC?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] OpenELEC.tv Linux Distro on Apple TV - Success!2