• 3(current)
[LINUX] OpenELEC.tv Linux Distro on Apple TV - Success!
This is very interesting. I've been working with Sam on some auto-updating stuff for a new Dharma image (albeit very slowly since i've been very busy). If this distribution already has that capability it might make a better base instead of Ubuntu 8.0.4.

Since it's running a newer kernel... is hdmi audio support going to be a problem?
i must say i am running it for 2 days now.
I have not managed to get hdmi audio working but openelec is working on that. but you surely could give him a hand :-) come and join the chat room.

for the rest , i have to say it runs as smooth as your image ,it just boots reaaaaally fast.
pin87a Wrote:Since it's running a newer kernel... is hdmi audio support going to be a problem?

We are indeed aware of the HDMI problem and are looking into it / testing some possible solutions....
Any plans for open beta?
great job guys i was torn between native atv os or crystalbuntu but this is what i am going to wait for
Update:

dismal Wrote:Any plans for open beta?
great job guys i was torn between native atv os or crystalbuntu but this is what i am going to wait for

Image will be released next friday :-)
That sounds glorious!
thanks for the update.
deraaij Wrote:Update:

Image will be released next friday :-)
deraaij Wrote:Now (without the Crystal HD) the menu works great and some 720P movies i tested play oke. Let's wait for the crystal HD support.

Which 720p files wouldn't work? Sounds intriguing. Can one boot the ATV via USB with no risk to the Apple internal hard drive?

philip
pmcd Wrote:Which 720p files wouldn't work? Sounds intriguing. Can one boot the ATV via USB with no risk to the Apple internal hard drive?

philip

In the image which will be released next friday (with Crystal HD support), the movies i tested play fine.

You can boot an USB without any risk.
Is that image based on kernel ver 2.6.24 (like Sam's and pin's images) or newer?

The reason I'm asking is not the HDMI issue, but in that kernel there is a problem with CF card support. Even if one uses UDMA66 or 100 card it is being recognised as UDMA33 card. There is small bug in libata module.

Thanks.
Hi

docentore Wrote:Is that image based on kernel ver 2.6.24 (like Sam's and pin's images) or newer?

The reason I'm asking is not the HDMI issue, but in that kernel there is a problem with CF card support. Even if one uses UDMA66 or 100 card it is being recognised as UDMA33 card. There is small bug in libata module.

Thanks.

Its actually based on kernel-2.6.36-rc7, if the bug still exists with this version (i dont hope) we can later look if we find an patch :-)
greetings, Stephan

sorry for lame questions, but:

1. will this support USB external HDD for movie/music storage?
2. will is support installing 3rd party apps (mainly, a torrent client)?
openelec.tv Wrote:Hi

Its actually based on kernel-2.6.36-rc7, if the bug still exists with this version (i dont hope) we can later look if we find an patch :-)

Thanks Stephan, that answers my question. The bug was patched somewhere around 2.6.25/26.

BTW thanks all involved in this project. I had a plan to try to do it before, but other responsibilities kept me busy. Looking forward to test it on my atv with the cf card!
Hi,
one more question until the image it´s release....

The main problem of CrystalHD is loss the WLAN....
It´s possible (in the future) install OpenELEC in the internal HDD and include drivers for usb wlan sticks in the linux image??

Thx Smile

P.D: Sorry for the language... I´m not english...
Hi

grey Wrote:sorry for lame questions, but:

no problem

grey Wrote:1. will this support USB external HDD for movie/music storage?
yes for sure
grey Wrote:2. will is support installing 3rd party apps (mainly, a torrent client)?
in general its not possible to add 3rd party apps, but some things we can add. normally an HTPC should not be an download monster, but we have already transmission bittorrent client included
greetings, Stephan

Hi

Randolf Wrote:Hi,
one more question until the image it´s release....

The main problem of CrystalHD is loss the WLAN....
It´s possible (in the future) install OpenELEC in the internal HDD and include drivers for usb wlan sticks in the linux image??

yes its possible (on request). actually we have only the standard WLAN driver included (if you use the ATV without an CHD card), but its easy to add more drivers (on request)
greetings, Stephan

• 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] OpenELEC.tv Linux Distro on Apple TV - Success!2