FreeNAS versus unRAID as the operating-system for a DIY NAS?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
patm95 Offline
I would just urge people to think twice about using Unraid. It is a decent enough product and I have been using it for well over a year now, but I am concerned that the support of Unraid in the future is all but certain. There hasn't been an official release of Unraid in almost 2 years. The developer constantly promises a new release is around the corner, then you never hear from him for weeks or months at a time. I have completely lost faith in the developer of this software.
find quote
smitopher Offline
(2012-11-09 07:00)srj1209 Wrote:  5. BTW, did anyone try Windows8 as a media server? Doesn't it have similar capabilities as that of an unRaid?

Storage spaces in Windows 8 gives you more flexibility than found in Unraid but you still have striping when you use parity.

Windows Server Essentials 2012 offers a competitor to ZFS with "ReFS", but much more expensive than FreeNAS ($700 vs. $0).
find quote
TugboatBill Offline
Posting Freak
I've been using unraid for a few years now. It has been dead on solid. During this time I've had drives fail, changed MBs, cabinets, upgraded several times, expanded the array many times, and have even had it lose a drive during a upgrade. Never lost any data and it's been a great media storage system.

The developer's communication skills leave a bit to be desired. There have been many beta/RC releases since the last major release though. Unlike many softwares, these have been pretty solid. Anyone that has a concern about support should just call them up. Tom (owner) is very helpful and the support on the forum is about the best you'll get on the internet.
find quote
aoommen Offline
(2012-11-12 18:10)TugboatBill Wrote:  I've been using unraid for a few years now. It has been dead on solid. During this time I've had drives fail, changed MBs, cabinets, upgraded several times, expanded the array many times, and have even had it lose a drive during a upgrade. Never lost any data and it's been a great media storage system.

The developer's communication skills leave a bit to be desired. There have been many beta/RC releases since the last major release though. Unlike many softwares, these have been pretty solid. Anyone that has a concern about support should just call them up. Tom (owner) is very helpful and the support on the forum is about the best you'll get on the internet.

+1 to that comment. I`m currently running v5.0 RC8a. I was a complete newbie to linux and NAS when I built my unRaid tower and have been running it for over a year now. All that I learnt in the process was all through the great and helpful community (forum) contributions. So I would say that it is safe to assume that unRaid is not unsupported or going away anytime soon.
find quote
Juan546 Offline
You might also give NexentaStor a look. It's what I'm looking at moving to since OpenSolaris is dead.[Image: 09ht.jpg][Image: 20.jpg][Image: 21.jpg][Image: 22.jpg][Image: 23.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 2012-12-30 04:38 by Juan546.)
find quote
pseitz Offline
I am running Freenas with Raid-Z with 4TB (4 Drives, 8GB RAM), it's really fast and reliable when exchanging disks. The web interface gives you feedback when errors occurs, but you have to learn the zpool command line syntax to use it properly.
find quote
lem000 Offline
I'm using OpenMediaVault. It's written by one of the FreeNAS devs and has pretty much the same feature set but is based on debian so it is easier to add extras such as tvheadend.
I was using UnRAID before and in my opinion OMV is superior in every way, and it is free.
find quote