[LIVE] Newbies and Console - Help
Exclamation 
Hi, im a complete newbie to the xbmc (especially linux)

I have used XBMC in the past on a windows machine, and got things to work fine at the time (few years back)

Now i am using XBMC Live 9.11 (Dharma 2) and im struggling to get my head around this console and the commands etc.

I am yet to find a thread on here that talks through the process as a whole.

So far i know the following:

CTRL+ALT+F1 - Takes you to console.

^^ Above is all i know!

I need to know the following:

How to come back out of console to the XBMC Gui?
How to install plugins (ill expand on this):
- The reason im expanding is because i understand i need to follow the steps given on each thread, although, i dont understand how to find various things such as ".xbmc/(username)/plugins" - the folder ".xbmx" cannot be found in the GUI? and i dont understand the console to find it in there?

The reason im making this thread is because i can honestly say ive spent long hours over the last 8-9 days, and still only know the basics..

I am v. good with windows environment, spent 10years+ on windows and on them every day. But linux throws me.

Every thread ive found explaining how to do something, links to more threads and more websites, why not all in one place for newbies like me??

I can be taught something once and i will know it forever.. i have learned various coding such as php/html/c++/mirc (admittidly, i dont use these anymore, but when i come across things i know what im doing and can use some of the above to my advantage.

So basicly, what im trying to say is, could someone please give me some help, and i will give back to this community and draw up a v. good tutorial for NEWBIES (not for people who know what there doing) who are in the exact same situation as me.

Once i learn the process of installing and why the commands are given and how to use the linux environment... i can explain in newbie terms with ease and help!

I hope someone out there has the patience and time...
Mike
CTRL+ALT+F7 takes you to GUI (you might want to explore from F1 trough F7 to see the differences).

9.11 Live is _not_ Dharma beta 2. It's either 9.11 Live or Dharma beta 2.

If it's dharma, there's no more 'plugins' like the old mess that used to be all over the place (read 'I am a google god using search').

There's a brand new, slick add-ons system, with a browser and categories for add-ons. You can find it under System > Add-ons. These include skins, plugins, scripts, scrapers, etc. This *really* is the coolest feature developed for dharma. A big thank you to all the devs!

Now, for starters, please confirm what version you really are using. If it's dharma, use this guide to get started on configuring some things you'll later need to a proper media-center experience:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu

If it's not, you guessed it... start a fresh install and use lucid lynx!

Oh! You also might want to explore the wiki. It's full of excellent info. And welcome to the dark side... errr.. Linux! We have cookies!Big Grin

hudo

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Newbies and Console - Help0