WASAPI and decoded multi channel FLAC problem
I've noticed that WASAPI doesn't seem to be working with decoded multi channel flac from MKV files.

I have the default directsound bit depth and sample rate set ro 24/96 on my 5750's HDMI output. This allows me to know when WASAPI is working appropriately.

Unfortunately, my amp is alway displaying 96KHZ, even when the mkv contains flac that I know is 48KHZ. So either the flac decoder is up sampling or direct sound is taking care of the audio even when I have WASAPI configured as the output mode.

Any ideas to what's going on? Or does the LPCM decoded from FLAC not get bitstreamed?

I was running Dharma Beta 2 but just installed the latest SVN to confirm the issue still exists.
It does not get bitstreamed as far as I know no. I suspect you need some exclusive mode for xbmc to take over the audio hw.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

elupus Wrote:It does not get bitstreamed as far as I know no. I suspect you need some exclusive mode for xbmc to take over the audio hw.

There aren't any receivers that I know that take multi channel flac and decode it, so I have to assume you are talking LPCM.

Bitstreaming LPCM should be the whole reason for WASAPI mode other wise it would be pointless since Directsound has always had the ability to pass AC3 and DTS to the amp unmolested.
I don't know how a direct show filter could play into the the picture with XBMC but madflac decoder was. I unregistered it and then xbmc seems to started working properly as far as I can tell.

My amp is now show the appropriate sample rate for each different flac source sample rate. 96KHZ for certain blu-ray concerts and 48KHZ for everything else. So I have to assume things are working as they should.

Why would madflac mess up XBMC?
And now it's not working again.
Now I understand what's going on. WASAPI only works with actual flac audio files and the internal audio player. It FLAC in a mkv container, using the internal video player that doesn't do WASAPI.

Is there a plan to add this in the future?
http://pastebin.com/WLTPR7ft

Above a debug log of a straight HD-DVD rip of Blade Runner Director's Cut. Dolby TrueHD converted to FLAC 48KHz 5.1. Windows 7 control panel configured for 5.1 96KHz output.

Receiver reports correctly multichannel 5.1 48KHz input from GTX 460 HDMI.

With the same configuration, foobar2000 with DirectSound output plays back a stereo mp3 as 96KHz 5.1 audio.

I'd say WASAPI is working properly for DVDplayer.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
I'm going to have back down to "Beta 3". Currently running a newer "unsupported" build, to see if it solved some other issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WASAPI and decoded multi channel FLAC problem0