Using a tv and a usb lcd touchscreen
Hi everyone!

I have to admit that I'm new to xbmc. I want to buy a ASRock ION 330HT in order to use xbmc on an Ubuntu or Windows system (have not decided yet).

I have a plasma TV which will be connected via HDMI. Additionally look for a LCD touchscreen display which should be connected via USB.

The primary purpose of the touchscreen is to navigate through my music library as I don't want to switch on the TV everytime I want to hear some music.

The best solution would be if xbmc could detect if the tv is running.
Scenario 1 (TV running):
The TV screen is used for navigation (by using a remote controller) and displaying content (movies, pictures,...)
The LCD just shows some meta information like dvd chapter, time, and so on. I don't want to use the touch functionalities of the screen.

Scenario 2 (TV switched off):
The navigation is swapped to the lcd display where you can navigate (mostly inside the music library as watching movies wouldn't be fun on a 7" display). In this case the skin should change to a touch optimzed layout.

Are both of the scenarios relaizable by using xbmc. If you have any doubts, hints or whatsoever, please let my know. Please consider the choice of the operating system as well. If some particular feature requests just work for Windows/Linux, please advice me of it.

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards
Lobster
Id suggest using the webinterface when wanting to playing music with tv off - with a laptop or ipad.
Nick8888 Wrote:Id suggest using the webinterface when wanting to playing music with tv off - with a laptop or ipad.

Hi Nick8888,

thanks for your answer. A laptop is too unhandy I think and I don't have an ipad. Anyway, I guess I can display the webinterface at the lcd screen, but I don't know if the usability of the web interface is satisfying. Using xbmc directly would be better (if possible).
The web interface in Dharma is alot better and Dharma has the ability to add other ones easily (awx is nice).

xbmc's gui would not run on any lcd touch screens afaik.
I'd suggest using YATSE - I use it for my touchscreen and it is awesome. you do need a semi-powerful machine (or gfx card) to run that on the same box as xbmc, but it is slick as hell. I love AWX too but YATSE just blows it away as far as usability on a touchscreen.

having said that, if your machine can't run both YATSE and XBMC at the same time then AWX is a great secondary. I'm also a big fan of XBMControl - actually use that on my main machine as I beta test AWX.
sarcophage Wrote:I'd suggest using YATSE - I use it for my touchscreen and it is awesome. you do need a semi-powerful machine (or gfx card) to run that on the same box as xbmc, but it is slick as hell. I love AWX too but YATSE just blows it away as far as usability on a touchscreen.

having said that, if your machine can't run both YATSE and XBMC at the same time then AWX is a great secondary. I'm also a big fan of XBMControl - actually use that on my main machine as I beta test AWX.

YATSE seems to be the solution I've been looking for. Big Grin
How does it work in practice? What do you display on your lcd if you use tv? Is it possible to display some meta data?
Is it poible to select any main skin which you use for your tv and on your lcd you have yatse which is independent of this skin and which offers a touchscreen optimized user interface? Some more details would be great.

Thank you!
Just check the home page of Yatse Smile

http://yatse.leetzone.org.

Yatse is independent of XBMC skins, when playing media Yatse display info about them, you can have screensavers or weather if you prefer Smile

It was made for the exact purpose of your needs as i've the same needs Wink

Concerning the remark about needing a decent GFX card, it's half true for 3D animations (but it lot's optimized in next version) but you can disable them on low end hardware. Yatse should be able to run on Tablet and i'll try to optimise as much as WPF allows to achieve this on low end cheap tablet.

And as a side note, Yatse works well with mouse, so can be used on another main computer / laptop for quick and beautiful XBMC remote access.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using a tv and a usb lcd touchscreen0