Frame-drops with Windows 7 & SD
Hi Guys,

I have been looking for a solution to my problem for weeks.

Ever since I switched my HTPC from XP to Win7 I get frame-drops with standard definition video. I have roughly 4 frame-drops with a 20% CPU load.

I followed the suggestions about activating DXAV even if it should not be necessary with SD. In fact playback is more smooth with 720p video. But nothing seems to help.

I tested several builds (including the stable 9.11 of course) up to the new Beta2 with no difference between the builds.

When I use the Live-CD I get no frame-drops. So its not the hardware I guess.

Playback of the same file in different Media-Players on the same machine (under Win7) is without any problems. I tested it with: Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, BSplayer and Boxee. So its not the Windows 7 installation I guess.

The hardware:

785G Board with AMD HD4200 onboard GPU (several AMD drivers tested)
AMD Athlon 5600+
2GB Ram

Connected to an 1080p TV with HDMI

Any help would be highly appreciated, since I really like XBMC and would hate to switch to something else.

With regards
Thomas
kronawth Wrote:Ever since I switched my HTPC from XP to Win7 I get frame-drops with standard definition video. I have roughly 4 frame-drops with a 20% CPU load.

4 framedrops per what time interval?
Per second.

The shuttering is constant no change during playback (not like 10s smooth and 10s shuttering, some people in the forum sometimes experience).

With regards
What did you set scaling method to.
I can't find any settings for scaling method.
(The option to set it was there when I tried the Live-CD I think)

The settings I have in System -> Video -> Playback are:

Render method: Auto detect
Allow hardware acceleration (DXVA2): on
Adjust display refresh rate to match video: off
Sync playback to display: off
A/V sync method: grayed out
Allowed error in aspect ratio to minimize black bars: none
Display 4:3 videos as: nomal
Video post-processing: disabled
Activate Teletext: off

I tried every setting with no effect in regard of the shuttering.

Right now I have the Beta2 installed.
There's a scaling method setting in the video settings dialog which you can bring up with the menu during playback.
I have this issue as well.
Using lanczos 3 optimised(?) with postprocessing settings and vsync option on. Any idea on how to fix this?
Try with setting scaling method to bilinear.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Try with setting scaling method to bilinear.

Wont i lose quality on SD upscales with Bilinear?
Well compared to getting framedrops, you'll increase quality.
You can also try with aero off and with using true fullscreen instead of a fullscreen window.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Well compared to getting framedrops, you'll increase quality.
You can also try with aero off and with using true fullscreen instead of a fullscreen window.

Well its true about the framedrops, but i guess i forgot to say that the only time i get framedrops/fps issues is when i enable Sync playback to display. Thats my problem, i want my monitor to play it at 24p etc, so do i need to use true fullscreen for that or what is my issue?
The problem is something is too slow and needs to be faster, first step is to find out what exactly is slowing things down.
One thing I've noticed is that often on an SD file, even with post processing enabled for SD files, if DXVA is enabled, DXVA is the only scaling option I'm given, press up and down and I dont see the other options, is that meant to be the case Bobo?

Also as another slight question, I've read that the GT220 should be fast enough to do all the decoding in hardware, even with filters applied at 1080p for high bitrate blu-ray rips, based on other reviews etc. If Im seeing occasional dropped frames on some of my SD/HD material yet both CPU and GPU usage are low, wouldn't that suggest a decoder issue, rather than a performance issue, as surely you'd expect to see high usage during periods of dropped frames if the system was too slow?
Note that this is with refresh rate change enabled, dxva on, and sync to playback OFF.
@bobo1on1:

I found it.
The setting was on Auto detect. When I switch it to bilinear the shuttering is much better but still visible during camera movement.

I tried the your true Fullscreen and Aero-Off suggestion with no improvement.
bobo1on1 Wrote:The problem is something is too slow and needs to be faster, first step is to find out what exactly is slowing things down.

Well the thing is i got 20% cpu so im guessing its the video card then? But how can it be to slow when i use dxva2?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frame-drops with Windows 7 & SD0